Parkhead opening ceremony to include blowing up buildings

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glasgow 2014 chiefs review Red Road flats plan

3855817694.jpg

The Red Road flats are duee to be demolished live during the opening ceremony of the Games. Picture: PA

THE chairman of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games said yesterday that organisers were “looking at” the contentious

plan to demolish the Red Road flats during the opening ceremony.

Lord Smith of Kelvin promised that the views of protesters would be taken into account.

Speaking to The Scotsman, Lord Smith appeared to leave the door open for a climbdown when he indicated that the plan was not yet

a done deal.

Asked about the storm of protest that had greeted plans to blow up five tower blocks, the chairman of the Glasgow 2014 organising

committee said he was “awaiting the outcome of various deliberations” on the proposal.

Lord Smith added: “I hear what people are saying and I know people are talking about it, so we will see.”

His remarks came as Games organisers agreed to meet the protesters behind a petition that has seen more than 10,000 people

register their objection to the idea.

Lord Smith was keen to emphasise that as well as the dissenting voices there were Glaswegians in favour of the plan, which is

supposed to be a bold statement of the city’s commitment to regeneration.

Those against it, however, have argued that the live destruction of the 30-storey 1960s blocks is “insensitive” to former residents and

the asylum-seekers living in a sixth block, which is to be destroyed later.

(http://www.scotsman.com/)

UPDATE:

plans have been scrapped to demolish the flats during opening ceremony.

Good!

Agreed.

Glasgow 2014: Red Road flats demolition cancelled

Commonwealth Games organisers have cancelled the demolition of the Red Road flats as part of the Glasgow 2014 opening ceremony.

Five of the blocks were to be brought down at the start of the Games in July.

The plan proved controversial, with an online petition against the demolition gathering thousands of signatures.

Glasgow 2014 said opinions being expressed and "safety and security" meant the destruction of the flats would not now feature in the opening.

My kids grew up in those flats for 17 years. And to see them blown up live around the world for some shite ceremony is an insult to my family and all the families that had a home there. to see my weans memories being blown to smitherins just to save on the cost of some fireworks is cringey as f***.

my granny wilson lived on the 30th floor in the first single block , then on the 9th in the 2nd single block.some of my happiest memories from childhood are related to the red road flats, going to maccolls for my roy of the rovers, watching the billy boy youths coming back from the walk, battering their drums between the flats, and lastly for watching my dad try to strangle the bus driver as we got off at red road, cos he got the polis onto the bus to chuck some of the springburn derry for singing the billy boys." Ya dirty papish bastard, im gettin on this yin the morra for nightshift, ye better pray yer no drivin it"

Now the papes and window lickers at parkheid will celebrate me losing a wee bit of my proud history.

Yet another fuckin reason to hate the bastards.

die ya papish spastic boab wannabees.

No Surrender

Rab