Rangers Football Club Share From 1908 Information

Hi there fellow Bears!

I've been on this site for years but don't post much these days.

Reason for my post today is I would love to show off but also hopefully find out some more information about this Rangers History.

I have a framed Rangers Football Club Share Certificate from 1908.

looking to know if they are rare or who the directors may be.

Its in really good shape considering its 106 years old

There is 3 signatures on it.

two directors I am not sure who.

1 Club Secretary who I believe it to be

William Wilton

Here are some pictures

2jg9v12.jpg

1zqtu01.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't find anything on the directors .... yet.

But here's a wee bit of info on Sir John Ure Primrose, whom the shares belonged to on your certificate.

http://www.thegallan...e-Primrose.html

wonder if it would be good for a Rangers Museum

Cheers mate that is really interesting I had no idea he was apart of the club in some way. :) its bi far my favorite Rangers Memorabilia

Add David Mason or email him on facebook he will get you all the information you need, hes the club historian and a great guy

Hi there I could not find him on email and not sure how to add him on here.

I would love to learn more about the piece

as for selling it.

It very well could be depends on the offer.

Hi there I could not find him on email and not sure how to add him on here.

I would love to learn more about the piece

as for selling it.

It very well could be depends on the offer.

i would pm you later bud.. drop me an email and Ill ask david to email you bud

It's a cracking item of memorabilia that you should be very proud to own.

A bit of background if I recall correctly. When Rangers incorporated on 24 July 1899, £12,000 of shares were issued which was needed to fund the move to Ibrox. The shares issued were:

600 Proprietary shares of £5 each

9,000 Ordinary shares of £1 each

i.e. (600 x £5) + (9,000 x £1) = £12,000

As there were only 600 Proprietary shares, these are more rare than the Ordinary shares of which there were 9,000.

After incorporation, shares could be bought and sold. When this happened, the share certificate would be returned to the club for cancellation and a new share certificate issued in the new owner's name. This is what seems to have happened here - Sir John Ure Primrose bought 25 Ordinary shares and a new share certificate was issued to him in 1908. The club may well have full records showing all sales/purchases from 1899 and so be able to tell from whom SJUP bought them.

Although it is a certificate for the more common Ordinary shares, your certificate is interesting for a few reasons. Firstly it is for 25 shares - I don't think I have seen one before for more than 1 share, so that makes it a little more rare. Also, the certificate was issued to Sir John Ure Primrose who was our President/Chairman which makes it more directly relevant to the history of the club.

The share certificate was signed by William Wilton who in 1908 was, of course, our first manager, as well as being the club secretary. I haven't done any research on the former directors of the club although I'm sure David Mason will have the records available. The signatures look like Jas (James) Walker and David Lawton, or something like that, in case it helps to trace them.

From memory (and I'm happy to be corrected) before the recession, share certificates were sold, often at fund raising dinners, for £300-£1,000 for Ordinary shares, and £500-£2,000 for Proprietary shares. Your certificate has in its favour that it's for 25 shares and that it's in the name of SJUP. Against, it's an Ordinary share and it's not from 1899. It is of course only worth what someone would pay but if I was buying (which I'm unfortunately not) I would expect to pay at least £1,000.

Having said that, in my opinion it really belongs in a Rangers Museum given it's in the name of SJUP. It could hang next to mine - I'm fortunate enough to own one of the original 600 Proprietary shares of £5 from 1899. :)

It's a cracking item of memorabilia that you should be very proud to own.

A bit of background if I recall correctly. When Rangers incorporated on 24 July 1899, £12,000 of shares were issued which was needed to fund the move to Ibrox. The shares issued were:

600 Proprietary shares of £5 each

9,000 Ordinary shares of £1 each

i.e. (600 x £5) + (9,000 x £1) = £12,000

As there were only 600 Proprietary shares, these are more rare than the Ordinary shares of which there were 9,000.

After incorporation, shares could be bought and sold. When this happened, the share certificate would be returned to the club for cancellation and a new share certificate issued in the new owner's name. This is what seems to have happened here - Sir John Ure Primrose bought 25 Ordinary shares and a new share certificate was issued to him in 1908. The club may well have full records showing all sales/purchases from 1899 and so be able to tell from whom SJUP bought them.

Although it is a certificate for the more common Ordinary shares, your certificate is interesting for a few reasons. Firstly it is for 25 shares - I don't think I have seen one before for more than 1 share, so that makes it a little more rare. Also, the certificate was issued to Sir John Ure Primrose who was our President/Chairman which makes it more directly relevant to the history of the club.

The share certificate was signed by William Wilton who in 1908 was, of course, our first manager, as well as being the club secretary. I haven't done any research on the former directors of the club although I'm sure David Mason will have the records available. The signatures look like Jas (James) Walker and David Lawton, or something like that, in case it helps to trace them.

From memory (and I'm happy to be corrected) before the recession, share certificates were sold, often at fund raising dinners, for £300-£1,000 for Ordinary shares, and £500-£2,000 for Proprietary shares. Your certificate has in its favour that it's for 25 shares and that it's in the name of SJUP. Against, it's an Ordinary share and it's not from 1899. It is of course only worth what someone would pay but if I was buying (which I'm unfortunately not) I would expect to pay at least £1,000.

Having said that, in my opinion it really belongs in a Rangers Museum given it's in the name of SJUP. It could hang next to mine - I'm fortunate enough to own one of the original 600 Proprietary shares of £5 from 1899. :)

Wow thank you for the information :) It is very close to my heart I am proud to own such a fine piece of history.

I plan on holding onto it or displaying it possibly if its merits a museum display.

I appreciate the work everyone did I have emailed David and hopefully he finds some time to look it over.

• 9 months later...

I was thinking of selling this. Was wondering if any body had any suggestion I know there is auction houses. But just seeing if any one may know some collectors ? of Rangers Memorabilia.

I will swap you 25 of my nice new shiny shares for the 25 of yours on that auld bit of paper.

I was thinking of selling this. Was wondering if any body had any suggestion I know there is auction houses. But just seeing if any one may know some collectors ? of Rangers Memorabilia.

Maybe worth contacting the club mate. They may have some interest in it. Or the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden.