McCoist in the dark over Nerlinger.

WATBB

They do actually. If you've spoken to any. Many of them were actually shocked/surprised that Nerlinger got replaced at Bayern.

Only going by what Bayern Bloggers have said:

"But Nerlinger doesn’t have the strong personality and hands-on approach of his successor, Matthias Sammer."

"Nerlinger’s philosophy was that he didn’t really have one. As the replacement for Uli Hoeneß, he had way too big footsteps to fill and he didn´t have the charisma to do so. He surely is a good, humble guy. Maybe too good and humble for the job he had to do there. Matthias Sammer took over that position in a rush. So it could be done just not by Nerlinger."

"Nerlinger failed to get Marco Reus while publicly saying if Bayern wants a player we will get him. In 2012, he congratulated Borussia Dortmund for winning the German championship while it was theoretically still possible for Bayern to win it."

"He had a reluctance to make decisive moves. He reportedly missed out on a Marco Reus transfer. He also was criticised for a lack of ambition shortly before he was sacked. He made a comment about forgetting the Bundesliga title after a loss in March 2012"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair it's the board that sets the budget ally has for his playing staff. it's up to them to either decrease his budget and use the money on scouts, or find other means of funding a scouting system. Ally can't be blamed for the boards of past not setting one up, and the current board not having one set up yet.

Totally right, however managers do have some power in the creation of budgets. Especially if they go to the press and force the issue. There are various methods of budgetry control, one being top-down another being bottom-up. You're talking of a top-down control, however it is more likely that football teams use the other method - as the manager will have more of an understanding of what is required in order to be successful.

This means the manager will more than likely consulted as to how much money he thinks he requires in order to furfil his duties. In my opinion and many others, the wage budget was set too high not only for players but for staff. McCoist has to shoulder some of the blame for player budget if he was consulted for creation of his budget. If it was a purely top-down budget then McCoist cannot be blamed - however this is very unlikely.

McCoist cannot however be blamed for setting his own salary as a lot of people on here wanted to blame him for. Some people seem to be making Ally out to be some kind of angel - he's not. He's made many mistakes, but he cannot be blamed for everything.

He could have dropped MacLeod and Aird plenty of times for older players if he wanted to.

PFA Young player of the year award nominees 2014 - Sturridge 24, Hazard 23, Ramsey 23. Where in Scotland do they all play?

Doesn 't need to drop Mcleod - the lad's injury & health issues have saved hom that problem for, effectively, two half seasons.

Ally is playing cute, he knows the cfoo role is responsible for setting up scouting , he will be worried that the cfoo role will take away decisions he makes. So mentioning the lack of scouts again, seems like he is trying to force the board to abandon that role and head straight to allowing him to try install scouts

This (tu) Ally is trying to keep his mate's together in the same way he did when Green wanted to sack Durrant and McDowell 18 months ago or so. Nerlinger is a threat to the old guard and Ally is probably worried for his job and that of his coaching staff which is understandable but standing in the way of Rangers progress is not going to be tolerated no matter whether Ally thinks he is in the right or not.

"‘Go and get a boy at 18, 19 and say: “Right, it looks like we are not going to play you for 18 months, but we are going to develop you.” That is the ideal world"

The true Rangers way :power_of_anguish: How about getting young players that are good enough to play and they'l develop FAR BETTER???????

(tu)

Why didn't he make a big thing about a scouting network a few seasons back instead of paying over the odds for players and wages, next he will be saying we need to invest in youth like we have been saying for years also.

This is an odd debate. At times it sounds as if we as a Club are impoverished. Yet we are still paying some of the best wages in Scottish Football- so we are clearly not that short of cash.

Reference the perceived " failings " of the board. I cannot see any failings- other than they have failed to give in to the UoF's demands. Or that they have failed to give up their shareholdings to Dave King for a pittance.

As to a Director of Football- it seems a very sensible move for a Club I our position with a relatively inexperienced manager. A Club that is looking to compete in Europe within the next couple of seasons looks to recruit someone with European experience- eminently sensible in my view. So if there is going to be investment in setting up a fit for future purpose scouting system- why would you not look to someone with Nerlingers experience.

This is not about being for or against Ally- it's about what is best for the Club going forward. Let's face it the only strategic approach over the last 2 seasons has been to buy a squad capable of delivering instant promotion. That is not sustainable in the long term. Nor should it be acceptable to fans or shareholders alike.

Let's face it the only strategic approach over the last 2 seasons has been to buy a squad capable of delivering instant promotion. That is not sustainable in the long term. Nor should it be acceptable to fans or shareholders alike.

Ally likes to spend his way to victory, but he wont be able to outspend Celtic once we're back in the top-flight. We need to start playing the best football in the country soon and we need to do it operating on a budget much smaller than Celtic's. We haven't built or prepared anything that will help us as we've been working up the divisions and that'll be badly exposed as soon as we hit the SPFL top-flight.

Because of the situation we are in we can only go watch players in Scotland!? wtf!? what does he mean by this, surely not that we can't afford it? If we can pay thousands a week in wages surely we can afford a few hundred quid or so to go to a game abroad every so often.

I'm sure Ally went to watch him play an international game. Panama I think.

He must have been on the beer before the game if he thought that dud was a player, halfway round the world to come back with a man that cant play very well, nice one Ally.

He must have been on the beer before the game if he thought that dud was a player, halfway round the world to come back with a man that cant play very well, nice one Ally.

Aye him and Durrant a piss up watching players on youtube on McDowells mobile. 20k expenses down the drain. He's a player he can get stuck in like the part timers lets get him

McCoist is practically spelling out the shortcomings that exist at the club - no communication, no plan, no willingness to put any money into things we desperately need. Yet all you can do is focus on McCoist, it's obsessive.

Shame he hasn't spelt out his own shortcomings. He'd have to write a book right enough.

Shame he hasn't spelt out his own shortcomings. He'd have to write a book right enough.

Yeah, we have the manager of the biggest club in the country with the most demanding fans (half of whom have conveniently forgotten that we've been to hell and (not quite) back (yet) - or still can't comprehend what that actually meant), and he's had half the tools taken out of the managers toolbox that a manager of Rangers requires, we have had a revolving door at CEO and the boardroom, consistently changing the reporting chain, keep messing about with what moneys he has to spend and then you throw in the restrictions placed by the SFA on the club with respect to the ability to sign players in the first two years. And what player with half a brain would waste three years of their short career wallowing in lower tiers of the Scottish footballing backwater (unless we pay silly money - which we had to), and then expect these footballing mercenaries to play like Brazil...the manager can't but he gets them winning and back to the top division as quickly as he can. That's priority number one. Everything else is window dressing and much of it's unachievable (youth development, scouting etc.) because of the very place we've been over the last three years. And because the manager can't make a silk purse from a sows ear, he's being blamed for everything from having a fuckin beard to not being able to turn Ross Perry into Franz Beckenbaur. Take a step back and think......

Come on, how often do the fans get any sort of conversation with the board? It's Ally who keeps talking about this kind of thing so of course if he's not going to say "I don't want to comment on such things as I am merely the manager", or "the board are refusing to entertain financing a scouting network" or "the board are refusing to talk to me on this" then some of the stick should go his way. He makes out that he's part of the decision making process, it looks like a manager trying to force the board into something which I would say is not very professional behaviour.

The fact is, we all know and have known for years we need a proper scouting network. But, it's a good way for him to defend his recent signings, "oh, it's not my fault I've had to sign ex players that have zero selling on value" we have no scouting network. This is what is getting at me, very coincidental for him to start talking about a lack of a scouting network when he's come under fire for signing who he has.

At the very start, ground zero, when was Ally talking about the requirement for a scouting network? Only after his wage budget had been spent.

It makes me sad, because although I have grown very slowly over the years to dislike McCoist as our manager, at least I always thought he was the one person that we could trust at the club as we all knew he was one of us and he loved Rangers. Yet now he seems to be dabbling in boardroom politics, telling us whatever he wants in order to use fan power to get his way.

He wasn't like that before, and I find it very concerning.

Your point about ally and the scouting network is so far off the mark - like him or not we had Neil Murray - ally fought to keep him Green choose to sack him and crucially, not replace him with anybody. Ally has called for a scouting network often since then but successive boArds have chosen not to implement that.