Brian Laudrup: My lifetime debt to Rangers

Was just about to say that. Can you imagine him instead of Kanchelskis, who wasn't bad in my opinion, but we never talk about him in anything like the same way.

Could have made the difference that night in Munich when we lost out by such a small margin. If we had got over that barrier, who knows what heights we may have reached.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without doubt the best and most exciting player that I have seen play in the blue jersey. I actually think Coop matched him in skill, perhaps even surpassed him, but that first 5-10 yards acceleration Brian had took him to a different level IMO.

Think it was a great pity for both Rangers, and possibly Brian himself, that he didn't stay another couple of seasons with us. Would love to have seen him in the Advocaat team of circa 1999-2000.

What a thought. Imagine the damage him in that team could have done.

Football wank fodder.

Could have made the difference that night in Munich when we lost out by such a small margin. If we had got over that barrier, who knows what heights we may have reached.

How we didn't win that evening still haunts me. I can still remember the view from behind Kahn's goal when he miraculously saved a long-range shot from JJ............. I was convinced it was going in, how the hell he got fingers to it --- great keeper I suppose (bastard). Laudrup up front supplying Michael Mols ----- if only.

If you ever get a chance to see Laudrup in the Confederation Cup final against Argentina, watch it, he gave the Argies a master class.

He looks like he could still do a job for us!

Header at Tannadice was my favourite moment but 5-1 Cup Final was favourite game.

Interesting to note that neither he nor Gazza would have ever come to Rangers without SDM

Just saying, like :)

Based on what?

Don't make up shite.

I have been very privileged to have seen many brilliant players at Ibrox since cira 1953 and I have no qualms in saying Brian Laudrup has arguably been the best of them all in all round ability. :pipe:

One of the few players who could get bums off seats, necks straining to see what he was doing. Only Gazza and Cooper could do that.

He simply mesmerised me but his greatest ability for me was his decision making. He knew when to beat a player, when to pass and when to give up a goalscoring opportunity if a team mate was in a better position to score.

It was this lack of ego and arrogance that truly made him a great player in my eyes.

How we didn't win that evening still haunts me. I can still remember the view from behind Kahn's goal when he miraculously saved a long-range shot from JJ............. I was convinced it was going in, how the hell he got fingers to it --- great keeper I suppose (bastard). Laudrup up front supplying Michael Mols ----- if only.

If you ever get a chance to see Laudrup in the Confederation Cup final against Argentina, watch it, he gave the Argies a master class.

had the Confed Cup final on VHS - excellent game, would love to see it again

Was to young to appreciate him and Gascoine and the whole 9 in a row experience at the time but his performance v hearts or gazza v Aberdeen were probably the two greatest individual performance in my lifetime following rangers. Never get bored of watching the old VHS or YouTube videos of them either.

He was a great player and a joy to watch. However, I remember feeling a little let down by the level of his performance in the last season he had - I felt he was protecting himself for his move.

To be fair to him, I think he was carrying a back injury for most of that season.

Based on what?

Don't make up shite.

Murray's (over)ambition created a lot of problems but he did bring great players to Rangers that a more conservative chairman would not.

You can't slaughter him for being over-ambitious but then deny him credit for bringing marvelous talent to the club.

Or do you think you can have it both ways?

See? - no shite (tu)

Murray's (over)ambition created a lot of problems but he did bring great players to Rangers that a more conservative chairman would not.

You can't slaughter him for being over-ambitious but then deny him credit for bringing marvelous talent to the club.

See? - no shite (tu)

Your point might have more stick if Minty used any of his own money to fund it.

See? - no shite (tu)

We made profit during 9IAR. We spent our own money.

One of the few players who could get bums off seats, necks straining to see what he was doing. Only Gazza and Cooper could do that.

He simply mesmerised me but his greatest ability for me was his decision making. He knew when to beat a player, when to pass and when to give up a goalscoring opportunity if a team mate was in a better position to score.

It was this lack of ego and arrogance that truly made him a great player in my eyes.

You certainly won't get any argument from me mate.He had a footballing brain way ahead of anybody of that era and he knew exactly the option to cause the most damage possible.

One of the best decision makers I ever saw at Ibrox was Ian McMillan, but Laudrup played at a far higher tempo than the wee Prime Minister.

Slim Jim was a wizard on the ball but Laudrup had a far more change of pace and could hit a ball with both feet, plus Laudrup was the antithesis of Baxters' swagger and arrogance on the ball,yet still had that streak in him that simply oozed excellence.

I'm sure if I reflected on the players I've seen over the decades I could select certain qualities of their game that were arguably better than Laudrup; but on overall ability he was the best I've seen play for Rangers; and probably the best ever I will see for the rest of my life.

The anticipation when he picked up the ball in midfield and started running at the defence was fantastic. With his skill, personality, lifestyle and ability to make things happen he was the perfect player and representative for the club.

Lets just hope we can see another like him in the future - the near future!!!

An absolute gentleman,in the true sense of the word,and one of the finest players to ever grace our club!

His move to Chelsea almost resulted in divorce for him as his good lady was not one bit pleased that he wanted to leave for one last pay day. It took a lot of convincing from him to persuade her to move!

An absolute gentleman,in the true sense of the word,and one of the finest players to ever grace our club!

His move to Chelsea almost resulted in divorce for him as his good lady was not one bit pleased that he wanted to leave for one last pay day. It took a lot of convincing from him to persuade her to move!

A wife being AGAINST a better quality of life? You've read that somewhere :D