Older Bears: Sir Alex Ferguson

GOAT

He was blamed for a goal we conceded against them in the 1969 Scottish Cup final, was told to play with the juniors after that

One fuck up and you are out. Fast forward to the current day you can fuck up week in week out and still guaranteed a place in the team.

There's a revisionist line, typically from the scum, on why it didn't work out for him at Ibrox and not only is it predictably false, Ferguson outright dismissed it a few years back.

The exact same thing happened with Marco Negri and Graham Fyfe.

One fuck up and you are out. Fast forward to the current day you can fuck up week in week out and still guaranteed a place in the team.

Happened to Jim Forrest and George McLean as well after the Berwick Rangers game and we had no strikers for the ECWC final against Bayern in 1967 as a result of that stupid policy.

Happened to Jim Forrest and George McLean as well after the Berwick Rangers game and we had no strikers for the ECWC final against Bayern in 1967 as a result of that stupid policy.

So one mistake and you were punished? Surely players like Greig, Jardine etc must have made big mistakes at time?

The transfer window would have done us a real favour back in those days!

Forrest came back to haunt us on a number of occasions, iirc, but I heard he was heading for the door in any event, through a dispute about wages - anyone remember any more on that?

it was "suggested" that he sharpened his elbows before games.

personally i thought he and Stein were a brilliant pairing, albeit they never played together all that often.

as others recollect he did get the blame for us losing 4.0 to Septic. in the Cup Final. (i never made the game as i was going through a loyal order ceremony,)

funnily enough the greatest ever Ranger was involved in a howler for one of the goals, but he did escape the same fate as Fergie.

Did he not say that forby the mistake they didn't like the fact he married a Tim?

Or was that a myth?

He was already married to Cathy when he was signed. I think there were a couple of personality clashes and the Cup Final was a convenient way to get rid.

Did he not also question the tatics and team formation for cup final which resulted in transfer from club.

He did have a big mouth, the tactics were ok for the final and Person, penman and Johnston all missed sitters in the first 15 minutes, then the roof fell in.

He did have a big mouth, the tactics were ok for the final and Person, penman and Johnston all missed sitters in the first 15 minutes, then the roof fell in.

Yes, turned into a fuckin disaster. had to get on the park to escape the hail of bottles and cans!

Yeh he was made a scapegoat after the cup final loss against Celtic. He was unlucky if he had stayed just a bit longer he would have been there when Wadldle arrived and he would have been his type of player. Not the fastest and missed a few but a 100% player. I remember him scoring a header in the UFEA cup against Athletico Bilbao in a 4-1 win. Always liked him and would have liked to see him play more with Colin Stein. Mind we had a few discipline problems with Him, Colin Stein and Willie Johnston they were always getting sent off