Jig Article - It's Time To Move Lee Mcculloch Out Of Defense

His legs are gone and he does not have as good a footballing brain as someone like Davie Weir to keep going. As Captain of the team he should really see that he is done - as much as he himself would like to believe this is not the case, but in the end he is just kidding himself, the team and the fans on.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really disappointed with mcalls press conference. he may have denied the undroppable rumours(he'd deny it even if it was true) but he certainly gave me no reason to think he'll ever drop him.

McCall stated a few weeks back, "Until we find the right formula and we get players who are deserving of the jersey then I will make changes."

I'd really like to know what mcculloch has done to deserve the jersey? On the same token what did lee Robinson do so badly to be dropped? Was Robinson at fault for the goal against Livingston or was it he clowns in front of him?

He's fast losing credibility and if that's the case I'm thankful it's only til the end of the season. Mccall did hint that once he gets a chance to look at the youths he might be giving them a go. By then it may be too late if we keep losing so many goals and ultimately points.

The first time is always the most difficult (well, for many things but I guess not all things......).

The first time McCall drops him will be the hardest. After that hurdle is over everyone - Jig included - can settle to appreciate that there may be some games where he comes off the bench from time to time. For instance if its the sort of game where throwing on someone of his experience to try to snatch a winner in the last 15 mins when everything else has failed might be a useful option to have, or someone to help shore up the midfield a bit in the last part of a game.

Doubt if he'd be dropped to the bench for the Hibs game though. If McCall is intent on focussing on the strengths of the Rangers players then here's hoping he doesn't see McCulloch's strength as being a defensive stalwart that can be relied to hold a defence together and lead it into keeping the opposition out for the whole game.

But if he (McCall) considers that McCulloch's strengths in this stage of his football career lie more in midfield in front of a defence then maybe drop Hutton and replace with McCulloch. And reshape to provide a counter-attack minded line up as well.

Stuart McCall doesn't just have to move him out of central defence, he needs to move him entirely out of the Club.

Lee McCulloch is living, breathing proof of the nepotism that exists at Rangers.

I think McCulloch was finished before we were even demoted to the Third Division. He struggled to get into the team before administration and when he wasn't struggling to get a game, he was injured. His fans (and even the Club to an extent) can paint the pretty picture of him staying with the football team he loves in it's time of need, etc, but I don't buy any of that, along with a lot of other Rangers fans. I guarantee you that if a good team in the EPL or English Championship was willing to take him on and pay him the kind of money that Rangers do, he'd have been off like a shot along with the others.

Wigan punted him at the right time, held out and got the £2.5m they wanted for him, because Dave Whelan knew we were daft enough to pay it eventually.

I see that a lot of fans would like to see him stay with us in a coaching role. I really don't see what he could teach or pass on to a youngster. As a captain, he's never lead the team to any great victory or trophy win. In his time at Rangers, he's never had any consistent set position either, which could now be most arguably as a centre-back. A position he's a complete failure at.

I always hated how McCoist would shoehorn him into any position in every starting XI, just so he played. I just hope McCall doesn't take that approach. It's been unsuccessful thus far. A tried, tested and failed system. Both for McCulloch and more importantly for Rangers as a football team.

He did stick with us during a dark time, nonetheless, but he's been more than adequately rewarded for that. He has a fat bank account and his name in the Hall Of Fame to show for that. Time for him to move on to pastures new in the summer, free up the captaincy, free up a great chunk from our wage budget and see us prosper for the first time in years.

I'm concerned as why 3 different managers have picked him this season! By far and away the worst defender at the club, we don't see any leadership from him on the pitch nothing. Mc calls already denied it but for a player to be so shite and still get picked either smacks of player power or there's a must play clause in the contract.

Lost his man for the aloha equaliser and done this all season, our best around performances are when he's out the squad. I'm not going to start calling on ginger pubes head but the jury is definitely out on this subject

Ability ffs what ability does McCulloch have, zinging 40 yard passes over the park, endless running, the vision to pick out team mates in threatening positions, the drive to take players on from the half way line and play his way into goal scoring positions on the edge of their box. No none of these my friend he cant even marshall his team to keep a 2 goal advantage against part time teams like Alloa so spare me the comparison if thats what you were trying to do with players such as Pirlo.

If he is good enough regardless of age he should play, my comparison is he shouldn't be dropped just because he is 36. He should be dropped because isint good enough

Well he is not good enough,has no ability to offer the midfield or anywhere else for that matter and is fucking past it and was years ago when he couldnt get into the team and he was 4/5 years younger then. So he should be dropped and removed from the club and younger men brought in with ability who we can build a team round for years to come.