Barry Ferguson Announces Retirement From Playing

whatever your opinion of him, he is undoubtedly one of the best players Rangers and Scotland have ever produced. all the best Barry

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/rangers/316544-former-rangers-and-scotland-captain-barry-ferguson-retires-from-playing/

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true rangers legend, should never be forgotten. Watched him boss the midfield for a decade. My type of player one who could boss the pace of a game...fuck the reputation of the opposition.

Hopefully as a successful boss his day will come at Ibrox.

33ktac0.jpg

I remember driving up to the stadium on the bus and seeing the fans going mental on the streets outside. By the time you walked in through the front doors you felt eight foot tall. You realise the game is going to be televised all around the world. This is your chance to show everyone what you can do against the best. I’ll always remember playing against Lothar Matthaus and Bayern Munich in 1999 when I had just got into Dick Advocaat’s team. I was just a wee boy and had total respect for that guy but as soon as I crossed that line I wanted to destroy him.

Anyway, I must have been a pain in the a*** because he poked me in the eye during the away game against them at the Olympic Stadium. I had been in about his ankles from the start and he probably thought, ‘Who’s this skinny little runt from Scotland, running about with the plooks on his chin? What have we got here?’

And I have to admit, I loved it. I knew right then I was giving him a game. Lothar Matthaus, one of the greatest players in the world, had just poked me in the eye. I couldn’t have been prouder.

Now I’m older I look back and I see it from his point of view and I laugh at myself. I know what it’s like when you’re up against kids who are trying to fire in about you.

But that’s the attitude you need. I turn into a different animal out there and that’s the way it has to be.

The downside is that people get a perception of you from what they see on the pitch. And that sticks. I know people still look at me and think this guy’s a wee ned – all because I ran about with my face all screwed up, shouting and bawling.

That used to bother me. But you get older and wiser and you learn to accept things. I look back now and say, ‘Look at him, he’s running around like a f****** idiot’. Then I realise it’s myself I’m watching.