Derry's Walls

UnionMen

Having witnessed streams of fans head for the exits before even 50 minutes on the clock at Ibrox, and plenty more shown live on BT sport walking out having went behind to Motherwell, is it time to get a new anthem?

Bit cringey anyway grown men chantin' about swords and shields.

??????????????????????????????????????????

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in as many words but one of your problems with fans singing the songs seems to be if they've stepped foot in the country enough times

U not think plastic paddies and plastic ulstermen deserve a bit of stick?

Basically Rangers songs are songs about the club, its achievements, and its players. Songs like Derry's Walls and Simply the Best are songs that have been adopted by the fan base are not Rangers songs as they are not about the club, however they have an association with elements of the support.

The only thing that can match a full stand of rangers fans giving it the "hello hello" is a full stand/stadium of bears giving it "altogether now" , the song has been part of our repertoire for generations and will be for more generations.

Id never want the songs we sing in relation to Ulster and Loyalism to disappear. I enjoy the strictly Rangers related songs just as much but I love the connection the loyalist songs give the people of this country to the club. Without them we'd just be like every other club. It's one of the reasons I was never drawn to an English club like my mates, because you don't feel as connected to those clubs. Those songs make fans in N.Ireland feel as close to Rangers as those born in Glasgow.

So nobody stop singing them, ignore this man and his Da.

on a map as u said ..I don't know any prod that says I'm going to Derry next week or whatever it's I'm going to Londonderry

I know about 1 that even goes at all. Kind of proves my point. "It was worn at Derry, Au....".

Anyway how about the question, many u think on a saturday afternoon could circle 'londonderry' or Countydown on an unmarked map?

it is a bit cringy, considering most people wouldnt even be able to tell you the significance of Bishop's Gate or who King James even was.

nothing can beat a stadium rocking to this though.

Finally a decent reply. Do you not think we can get the place rocking to something more meaningful than a messed up version of a song about a 400 year old battle most folk don't have a clue about?

Finally a decent reply. Do you not think we can get the place rocking to something more meaningful than a messed up version of a song about a 400 year old battle most folk don't have a clue about?

In an ideal world yes, but there is no other song that the fans know/can come up with that will match the energy this one carries when sung out at a full Ibrox.

I disagree, songs like the Billy Boys & Follow Follow would be well ahead in those stakes. Btw how many of our fans that belt it out do you think could circle Derry on a UK map?

Derry? Mmmm ............Outed.

There were Scottish Presbyterians within the walls and Highlanders outside among others. This myth that people like to spout about the Siege of Londonderry and other battles in Ireland having nothing to do with Scotland is bullshit. We are within our rights as a support to sing about our ancestors defence of the city.

There were Scottish Presbyterians within the walls and Highlanders outside among others. This myth that people like to spout about the Siege of Londonderry and other battles in Ireland having nothing to do with Scotland is bullshit. We are within our rights as a support to sing about our ancestor's defence of the city.

outsiders known as jacobites ;)

OP you constantly make a tit of yourself on here about songs. Ive never met a real bear who didnt like Derrys Walls. And there isnt a bear on earth who would swap Derrys Walls for the shitey cringeworthy songs you try to come up with.

Too many fucking taigs and hand wringers on here who want us to stop flying flags, singing songs or have any identity just because THEY dont like it. The club wont change for you, i suggest you find a new one instead trying to change the long standing history and traditions of ours.

OP wouldnt have the guts to say anything like this in any Rangers pub. Try asking folk not to sing Derrys Walls next time youre in WRC or the Louden. But you wont because youre to scared to actually stand for your daft beliefs unless its behind a keyboard