Warburton's Defences

I really don't keep up with football outside Rangers matches,barring the odd World Cup of Champions' League match, so I really don't know much about Warburton. I don't think I've ever seen a Brentford match. The nearest I've been to that club is driving past their ground a few times, many years ago.

I hear that he likes to play attacking, creative, passing football which sounds great, but what about his defences? Most of the goals we lost this season were pretty much of the breakaway type, so I'm curious to find out more about the less reported defensive element of his teams.

So, how do his teams perform defensively?

in one of the videos someone posted on here was that Brentford scored 20 goals in the last ten minutes of games as the fan said they just keep pushing forward for 90 minutes there is no sitting in defending a lead.

His philosophy seems to be if the oppostion scores 2 we'll score 3

The best defence is attack sums him up. Brentford threw away a few games last season from winning positions looking for more goals.

Yes but you would expect that even a competent Rangers side would score enough goals in the Scottish Championship that we can afford to concede in games.

Yes but you would expect that even a competent Rangers side would score enough goals in the Scottish Championship that we can afford to concede in games.

Agree with that for this season but just hope he starts learning a bit about defending a lead if he's still in charge when we're back top/competing in Europe.

Goals conceded Averaged about 1.3per game in the league last year. Scoring average was higher with only 4 teams from 24 scoring more. 9th place I think on goals conceded. They did concede more than any other in the top 8. We will be seeing goals.

We are going to score 1 more than you.....

His attitude is let other teams worry about us not the other way round, a bit of arrogance that was sadly missing from McCoist. Brentford could have been a bit more solid in defense last season often taking too high a line making them vulnerable to fast counter attacks

Agree with that for this season but just hope he starts learning a bit about defending a lead if he's still in charge when we're back top/competing in Europe.

Spot on with this.

That type of football is fine in Scottish championship and probably the Scottish Premiership assuming you have the attacking players that can create and take their chances. Europe is a completely different situation and unless you have European finest midfielders and attackers you're likely to get pumped.

If we can get this right then the fear factor will come back and we'll get full houses because of the football we play.

It's all very encouraging and I'm really optimistic now.

Watford

Warburton began his coaching career in a part-time role at St. Clement Danes School in Chorleywood while working as a trader.[6] He later said to his wife, "we have the money in the bank, the house is paid for, our lifestyle won't change. I want to do this: 10 years to achieve something in the game. It’s now or never".[8] After leaving his trading job in the early 2000s, he spent his own money travelling around Europe, watching coaching sessions at Sporting Lisbon, Ajax, Valencia, Barcelona and Willem II.[6][8] Warburton was offered a permanent coaching job with Watford, at U9 through to U16 level and was appointed manager of the academy in 2006.[6] After a reshuffle in 2009, he became assistant academy manager for U17 to U19 age groups.[12] While at Watford, he established links with Harefield Academy.[13][14] Warburton left Watford in February 2010 to "pursue other sporting interests".[12] In September 2014, Warburton revealed he left the Hornets because he "had a fall out with one or two people. I was treated very shabbily, but they have gone now, so I've got no grudges against the club".[15]

Brentford

Nicky Forster was appointed caretaker manager of League One side Brentford in February 2011 and named Warburton as first team coach.[16] Warburton had previously worked with Brentford owner Matthew Benham on the NextGen Series and explained that he "got a call from the owner at 1:30 in the morning, asking if I would come in to assist Nicky. I didn't know a lot about Brentford or know any of the players, so I stayed up for the rest of the night looking at player profiles".[17][18] Following a successful interim period, Forster was given the role on a permanent basis until the end of the 2010–11 season.[19] Warburton assisted Forster until the end of the season. After the departure of Rösler to Championship side Wigan Athletic on 7 December 2013, assistant manager Alan Kernaghan took charge of the team for that day's 3–2 FA Cup second round defeat away to Carlisle United.[20] Warburton was included as part of the coaching team, alongside first team coach Peter Farrell.[21]

After turning down an opportunity to follow previous manager Uwe Rösler to Wigan Athletic,[35] Warburton was announced as the new Brentford manager on 10 December 2013.

I really don't keep up with football outside Rangers matches,barring the odd World Cup of Champions' League match, so I really don't know much about Warburton. I don't think I've ever seen a Brentford match. The nearest I've been to that club is driving past their ground a few times, many years ago.

I hear that he likes to play attacking, creative, passing football which sounds great, but what about his defences? Most of the goals we lost this season were pretty much of the breakaway type, so I'm curious to find out more about the less reported defensive element of his teams.

So, how do his teams perform defensively?

Any questions about "the Brents" i'm the man to ask.

From when I have watched Brentford in the past year or so he likes to use possession of the ball to avoid conceding goals. Basically if we have the ball then the other team can't score. English Championship however is full of teams that are of a similar level to each other and due to the amount of games they play (they play 46 whereas we will play 36 in the Championship) every team concedes a high level of goals.

Random question, would you rather win 2-1 or 5-4?

His philosophy sounds basically like, "you score 4 we score 5"

It doesn't really matter as long as we win! Although 5-4 would be more exciting and would probably kill us all 5 years earlier!

Random question, would you rather win 2-1 or 5-4?

His philosophy sounds basically like, "you score 4 we score 5"

I'd rather win 2-1 than draw or lose. I'm sure we'll get equal measures of excitement and frustration. He's a smart guy though, so I'm sure he'll quickly learn when, and when not, to curb his attacking instincts.

Ask Smile. He's a massive fan of Brentford and lower tier English football, rushing home from Ibrox on a Saturday just to catch the highlights.

Don't use Google though. Googling for information in the modern era is frowned upon.

Ya cheeky wee fecker! :p20:

I was merely curious as to the opinion of fellow supporters who actually had, unlike me, watched a few of their matches.