Striker

Gaz52

Firstly, I'm more than happy with the transfer dealings of Warburton so far, if we sort something out for Holt shortly and then maybe one or two more then it's fantastic business on paper, let's just hope they all gel together in to a force.

A lot of talk right now is about the lack of a 'prolific' goalscorer, reports from Wigan fans and people who have watched Waghorn (including myself) would suggest he's more the type of player who will play in the hole, link & create play effectively. So that leaves us needing someone up top who's going to be our Kris Boyd of previous years, someone who's going to snap up just about every half chance that lands to his feet.

Warburton may have seen something he likes in Ryan Hardie and Hardie is someone I think is a natural born goalscorer, I think the boy could do it on a weekly basis in this league with the right players beside him and the right support from everyone. Don't get me wrong though, I'd really like us to bring in Stevie May as I think he'd be a quality addition.

What would everyone else like to see in regards to a striker? Give it to Hardie/Gallagher/Clark (or anyone else currently with us) or bring someone else in?

I don't think a striker who's going to score loads of goals is a big priority in Warburton's team, especially if we are only going to be playing with one through the middle. I think their technical ability - be it dropping off so midfielders can go beyond them, or holding the ball up to bring others into play is more important.

When he was at Brentford, Donaldson scored 18 in 13/14 & Gray got 16 or so in 14/15 which are decent returns but it's not exactly goal machine stuff either.

Waghorn is a striker.

Having watched him at Leicester city, and Millwall; He definitely performs better as the out-and-out striker. I'd think his switch to the "in the hole" type player and his occasional switch to winger has been what's actually made him feature less and less over the past few seasons, he doesn't do well there, but Wigan have 7 strikers on their books, and he never got a chance.

Under decent management and guidance and given enough of a chance in his more natural position, Waghorn will become a goal-machine.

Waghorn is a striker.

Having watched him at Leicester city, and Millwall; He definitely performs better as the out-and-out striker. I'd think his switch to the "in the hole" type player and his occasional switch to winger has been what's actually made him feature less and less over the past few seasons, he doesn't do well there, but Wigan have 7 strikers on their books, and he never got a chance.

Under decent management and guidance and given enough of a chance in his more natural position, Waghorn will become a goal-machine.

Cant beat this site for a detailed review of a player

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martyn-waghorn/transfers/spieler/61674

I think we could be doing with a decent striker, i've looked at the boy waghorns stats and his goal record isn't great, millers past it and clark tries hard and has a bit of pace about him but yet to see him look like an out and out striker.... i'd like to see king put his hand in his pocket and actually go for stevie may!

Why not give our own youths a chance Hardie and Gallagher or even Stoney who has had a great start to pre season ! Why do people always want to bring in players give these lads a chance you never know it might save the club money !

Just because Waghorn doesn't have a great goals per game ratio down south doesn't mean he's not capable of banging them in up here against lower quality opposition.

Agreed, but even if his ratio stays the same, his work rate, movement and link up play is just as important in a 4-3-3

Look at Gray last year at Brentford, think it was 14 in 43 games or something, not the best ratio at all, but he was part of a hugely successful side that scored goals all across the pitch.

So far, Temps, Holt, Kiernan and Clark have scored preseason, encouraging signs, coupled with the youth scores and scorers, a 4-3-3 is very fluid.

If we want a guy with a great ratio, we'd end up with Kris Boyd again :anguish:

I dont want a Kris Boyd of previous years. Theres not many places in modern football that will allow a player to be shite as long as he sticks a few in against rotten opposition most weeks. Certainly not in our new look system.

Waghorn can and probably will score goals, he did so when be got a run in the team wth Wigan, and with Leicester.

I dont want a Kris Boy of previous years. Theres not many places in modern football that will allow a player to be shite as long as he sticks a few in against rotten opposition most weeks. Certainly not in our new look system.

Waghorn can and probably will score goals, he did so when be got a run in the team wth Wigan, and with Leicester.

This.

Poachers in football are becoming a thing of the past. Certainly don't see Warburton having any room in his squad for lazy players.

I don't think a striker who's going to score loads of goals is a big priority in Warburton's team, especially if we are only going to be playing with one through the middle. I think their technical ability - be it dropping off so midfielders can go beyond them, or holding the ball up to bring others into play is more important.

When he was at Brentford, Donaldson scored 18 in 13/14 & Gray got 16 or so in 14/15 which are decent returns but it's not exactly goal machine stuff either.

Agree with this.

If you look at their goal scorers chart last year it's comprised mainly of midfielders getting half a dozen or more goals. Yes gray is the top scorer but I think someone like waghorn is likely to get around the 20 goal mark in the championship (Scottish).

Top Brentford goal scorers

Player Goals First Latest

Andre Gray 16 30 Aug 2014 02 May 2015

Alex Pritchard 12 19 Aug 2014 02 May 2015

Jota 11 27 Sep 2014 02 May 2015

Jonathan Douglas 8 13 Sep 2014 18 Apr 2015

Stuart Dallas 6 19 Aug 2014 03 Apr 2015

Jon Toral 6 25 Oct 2014 03 Mar 2015

Chris Long 4 21 Feb 2015 17 Mar 2015

Moses Odubajo 3 23 Aug 2014 21 Mar 2015

Alan Judge 3 29 Nov 2014 25 Apr 2015

Sam Saunders 2 26 Dec 2014 26 Dec 2014