Our "lean" Squad

OzGers

nothing wrong with the philosophy of the lean squad imo I think after this half a season hopefully warburton has identified areas that need addressed in the following two windows.

He was never going to sign a shit load of players and hope they work in the first window and he had to truly assess the current squads.

I have been a bit disappointed with the amount of game time the loan players have got in comparison to our own youth players but i think the lack of experienced players on park has probably affected that (I think if we had an experienced dm running the game it would be easier to drop inexperienced players into a game...)

I would add Walsh to that, he is a far better prospect than McKay will ever be. Also people are saying about bringing up to 4 new players in, where is the funding coming from as we are still arguing about wether we have paid MA back his 5million and the board have issued no new statements about future funding for January to strengthen the team.

Yeah, good shout. Had forgotten about him.

Wonder what goes through the minds of Hardie Walsh and Thomson when they can't get a sniff despite MWs pro youth approach and the awful form of some of the established players.

Out of those three I get the impression that Mark Warburton only rates Hardie and Thompson. Surely Walsh would have had opportunities by now.

It's hard to tell what youths would be able to make the step up. We're currently in an extremely competitive league and it may been seen as too much of a risk. I think we need more players too add to our squad depth. There's just not a single player on the bench who can make a big difference to the game. We need a tall, clinical striker who would give a different dimension. I can't stand watching us drawing a game and only having Nicky Clark as your backup plan.

A year ago they were all superstars

I don't know about that, but I think Thompson has the potential to be a gem, and Hardie might well prove to be a good striker. I think the manager rates these two; especially Thompson.

I think the boys out on loan are well regarded too generally.

Last year there were regular posts telling us how great the youngsters were and it was another of McCoist's failings that he wasn't playing them. I'm almost certain the same posters calling out for Hardie to play now would be the first, if for whatever reason he doesn't make the breakthrough, to tell us he's shite anyway.

We put far too much expectation on our youth players just now, and have since 2012, which has led to 4 or 5 boys all being anointed as the next big thing (Telfer, Macleod, McKay, Murdoch and now Hardie). What's even worse is when we give someone like Miller a new deal folk piss and moan. Miller is exactly the kind of professional you want young players around and has a wealth of experience to pass on but for some reason it's a bad move apparently

I think the boys out on loan are well regarded too generally.

Last year there were regular posts telling us how great the youngsters were and it was another of McCoist's failings that he wasn't playing them. I'm almost certain the same posters calling out for Hardie to play now would be the first, if for whatever reason he doesn't make the breakthrough, to tell us he's shite anyway.

We put far too much expectation on our youth players just now, and have since 2012, which has led to 4 or 5 boys all being anointed as the next big thing (Telfer, Macleod, McKay, Murdoch and now Hardie). What's even worse is when we give someone like Miller a new deal folk piss and moan. Miller is exactly the kind of professional you want young players around and has a wealth of experience to pass on but for some reason it's a bad move apparently

I'm not convinced the manager rates Murdoch.

I'm not convinced the manager rates Murdoch.

I think Murdoch has been unfortunate with the Eustace stuff. If we'd known he wasn't going to sign then I think he might have kept Murdoch around. He's at an age where game time is crucial, if he wasn't going to see it here then best to let him go on loan. If there wasn't a long term plan I think he'd have went the way of Gallagher.

I think Murdoch has been unfortunate with the Eustace stuff. If we'd known he wasn't going to sign then I think he might have kept Murdoch around. He's at an age where game time is crucial, if he wasn't going to see it here then best to let him go on loan. If there wasn't a long term plan I think he'd have went the way of Gallagher.

Letting Gallagher go made no sense to me. Interesting what you say about Murdoch in the context of Eustace. I think, however, that Murdoch couldn't be the type of CDM that Mark Warburton wants, in terms of height and physical presence.

I don't think it's realistic to expect anyone to come in and fix the shambles we had last season, in a single transfer window, and without spending a huge amount of money. I certainly think 3 out of the 4 players we've spend money on have looked good signings, the 4th looks OK but still has a bit to go to completely convince me. In short - I'd trust Warburton with funds - if 70% of a managers signings work out, he's doing well IMO.

Warburton has had 6mths now to see the squad, if money is available I'd expect him to add a couple of players of quality in January. Without money, it will be a delve into the loan market - something I wouldn't like to see.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a lean squad, just we are skin and bones in terms of depth of quality (I think we have about 13-14 players who are currently good enough and in favour - going forward to the Premier league then I think only 7-8 are good enough). Then again I think the manager knows we are 6-7-8 good senior players short of a good squad - just there is a limit to what you can do in a single transfer window.

We need to be patient and realistic about where we were before Warburton came in, and what can be achieved in 1 transfer window with limited spending.

i think what we need as was quoted by warbs in some paper this weekend is more physicality we are too lightweight and this is a tough league physically

also more experience is needed to help the young players. i would like to see a tough no nonsense centre half good in the air a strong mobile centre midfielder with experience and a goal poacher up front

A point worth noting also is, that out of our squad we have maybe 6 or 7 players who really for the first time in their careers that they are having to play week in week out?

I have no doubt we are seeing the effects of this on tavernier, he was bombing up and down in the first couple of months, dare I say it but he for 1 looks to be suffering from an early bout of fatigue.

A point worth noting also is, that out of our squad we have maybe 6 or 7 players who really for the first time in their careers that they are having to play week in week out?

I have no doubt we are seeing the effects of this on tavernier, he was bombing up and down in the first couple of months, dare I say it but he for 1 looks to be suffering from an early bout of fatigue.

I think that a good point.