Walter Smith His Thoughts ?

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Can't argue with you, I just know I would rather watch Rangers under Warburton than Walter. 

But it's all about opinions.

Rangers MUST win , Warburton has had the luxury of a debut season in a sub standard league with no old firm games. I've no doubt Smith could put out an expansive free flowing team but never had that luxury due to competition. If Warburton doesn't have to sacrifice his principles to succeed at Ibrox I'll be both amazed and delighted.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Why?

All credit to Walter he won us loads of trophies but some of his football was boring turgid stuff. 

Well he was at the game, he enjoyed our victory, but I would loved to have been sitting next to him to hear his thoughts, would he be saying...it's not the way I would play or this is how football should be played :D 

4 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Well he was at the game, he enjoyed our victory, but I would loved to have been sitting next to him to hear his thoughts, would he be saying...it's not the way I would play or this is how football should be played :D 

I can only imagine what he thought about Tav popping up in the middle of box to score and then have his header saved. 

13 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Rangers MUST win , Warburton has had the luxury of a debut season in a sub standard league with no old firm games. I've no doubt Smith could put out an expansive free flowing team but never had that luxury due to competition. If Warburton doesn't have to sacrifice his principles to succeed at Ibrox I'll be both amazed and delighted.

Doubt it honestly if he was that kind of manager he would've changed it a Brentford when they looked like getting playoff football but he didn't. 

Its just the way he thinks football should be played, it's more us who need to change and get used to this style of football and occasionally it's all going to blow up in our faces. 

38 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Who gives a fuck. He was a chequd book ma an and coinldn't lace MW's boots.

Is that not Wee Dick you are thinking of ? Read somewhere that Walter did 3 In a row while reducing our debt from 40 odd million to 19 million seems like a cheque book manager In reverse  :wink:

4 minutes ago, thebluedoo said:

Is that not Wee Dick you are thinking of ? Read somewhere that Walter did 3 In a row while reducing our debt from 40 odd million to 19 million seems like a cheque book manager In reverse  :wink:

He wiped the floor with lemmon while cutting our wage bill in half ... love telling that to tims :pipe:

9 minutes ago, thebluedoo said:

From wikip..

Some of Smith's players like Ally McCoist and Paul Gascoigne became fan favourites. This was achieved at a cost, as Smith spent over £50m on transfer fees in his six years in charge – more than any other club in Scotland or England over the same period.[7] Rangers equalled Celtic's record of nine successive championships in 1996–97. In an effort to secure a record-breaking tenth success in 1997–98, Rangers spent £13m on eight new players.[7]

16 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

From wikip..

Some of Smith's players like Ally McCoist and Paul Gascoigne became fan favourites. This was achieved at a cost, as Smith spent over £50m on transfer fees in his six years in charge – more than any other club in Scotland or England over the same period.[7] Rangers equalled Celtic's record of nine successive championships in 1996–97. In an effort to secure a record-breaking tenth success in 1997–98, Rangers spent £13m on eight new players.[7]

Was it not the case that we had virtually no debt at the turn of the century? 

7 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Was it not the case that we had virtually no debt at the turn of the century?

I think a bit of denial there I'm afraid.

No one is denying what Walter achieved, following on from Souness, who was indeed the one who started the revolution, set the pace and standard. Walter spent a lot of money.

If MW had a comparable budget at his disposal, he could win us the CL! The difference in management styles, playing systems and tactics are palpable and for the better, which is the point I am trying to make. MW operates in a very different environment from then and has worked a miracle within a season and they are not directly comparable.

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Why?

All credit to Walter he won us loads of trophies but some of his football was boring turgid stuff. 

Some of his football was the most exciting and entertaining we have ever seen!

WS see see to know football well and played great football with the squad he had - expansive when we had the squad to do that and 'hard to beat' when the a squad was poorer - great manager! 

19 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I think a bit of denial there I'm afraid.

No one is denying what Walter achieved, following on from Souness, who was indeed the one who started the revolution, set the pace and standard. Walter spent a lot of money.

If MW had a comparable budget at his disposal, he could win us the CL! The difference in management styles, playing systems and tactics are palpable and for the better, which is the point I am trying to make. MW operates in a very different environment from then and has worked a miracle within a season and they are not directly comparable.

European success is always difficult from Scotland however much you spend because of the lack of decent opposition ... septic have found this out recently they obviously thought they could remove one of the wheels from a 2 wheel barrow and roll it off to the champions league with no bother at all :7326:

21 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Some of his football was the most exciting and entertaining we have ever seen!

WS see see to know football well and played great football with the squad he had - expansive when we had the squad to do that and 'hard to beat' when the a squad was poorer - great manager! 

As I said opinions. 

Your hard to beat is another mans boring as shit. 

Cant recall ever saying he wasn't a great manager either, so I take it last wee but was just for effect. (tu)

Remember Walter saying in his book that he greatly admired the Italian philosophy and style of football which is almost the complete opposite to the style we are now playing throughout the club.Walter will be just as thrilled as any of us at the progress we are making and if MW can be as successful as WS playing a more expansive game ,what a bonus that will be

1 hour ago, thebluedoo said:

He had more resources than anyone else and was basically winning a one horse race.  When he took over we were already in that dominant position.

It's a nonsense for folk to be on here sticking it to Walter Smith. 

Comparing both managers is a bit redundant as well. If that's the game though then I'd put it out there and say that Walter Smith would have won the league with this current team also.

He wouldn't have put this team together though.

If we're honest; any reasonably competent manager should win this division at a club like Rangers.  That is to be expected and I'm not particularly celebratory over it.   What's pleasing about it is the way Warburton has gone about it is the stylish football and his modern attitude to the game.  I'm pretty sure Walter Smith would have got the job done but I doubt it would have been so enjoyable.

Probably wishes he was in MW's position right now, and misses being the manager and walking round the stadium with the players and receiving the plaudits from the fans.

Walter has proven himself, but has always had that extra player in the form of a sizeable cheque book, whereas MW looks like he has the potential to produce more with his differing football ethos being more towards bringing in the right player, who covers all areas of fitting in to team life, rather than just being dependant on marquee players at extravagant costs.

:uk:  

3 minutes ago, Briton said:

He had more resouitrces than anyoneitelse and was basically winning a one horse race.  When he took over we were already in that dominant position.

Do you mean his first spell because that certainly wasnt how It was when he came back?

I just think It belittles his acheivements really, because It sounds like you think that he bought success

Walter Smith Is well revered through out the world for his tactical abilities, he has earned that respect 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

As I said opinions. 

Your hard to beat is another mans boring as shit. 

Cant recall ever saying he wasn't a great manager either, so I take it last wee but was just for effect. (tu)

Last bit was just in general but your original post hardly gave the impression you thought he was a 'great' - and another general observation but - a good defence is still the foundation of a great team .

anyway I think we all agree we have won a watch with MW and are all looking forward to next season! 

Walter Smith's record speaks for itself. He epitomised what a Rangers manager should be about, and as I read about more about Mr Symon I think he was of that mould- he inspired great loyalty and respect from players; conducted himself with a great deal of dignity; and is a very decent guy. He managed this club twice, and in both times brought great success to Rangers. One of the best. I reckon his thoughts on Mark Warburton are extremely favourable.