Good to see

Yeah, I remember seeing a BBC program, My Blue Heaven, when McLeish was with us and one of the episodes was about youths that had been let go by the club.

Not all of them dealt with it well in their lives after Rangers. In fact, some never kicked a ball again.

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Who were the 8 released mate?

EIGHT Rangers Academy players will depart the club this summer to play their football elsewhere next season.

Dylan Dykes, Luca Gasparotto, David Brownlie, Darren Ramsay, Mekhi McLeod, Jamie Brandon, Tom Lang and Jamie Mills who all played in the clubs development squad this year or on loan will now develop their footballing careers at another club.

Head of Academy, Craig Mulholland commented: “It is always a difficult time of year when informing players that they will no longer be at the club.

“Some of the lads such as Dylan, Darren and the two Jamie’s have been with the club from a very young age and it is an emotional time for the staff and the players.

“We wish all the boys well in their future careers.”

1 minute ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Did 2 of them not just sign?

Mehki mcleod and Tom Lang had been here for not long and had potential.

There's a variety of reasons things don't work out and i wish the boys well.

I know Jamie Mills parents,hope him and the others find new clubs soon.

17 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Yeah, I remember seeing a BBC program, My Blue Heaven, when McLeish was with us and one of the episodes was about youths that had been let go by the club.

Not all of them dealt with it well in their lives after Rangers. In fact, some never kicked a ball again.

Mind that blue heaven and the boy John Johnston he plays junior football real blue nose so is his dad, he played way Ma bro in law at Cumnock juniors for 2 years he wasn't a bad player and sure he plays for ardrossan winton. 

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/academy-support-released-youngsters/

A couple of the names mentioned above I'm surprised at but I guess the training staff know what they're doing, I wish them all the best and sorry it didn't work out for them in the long run.

Though you never know they might end up being back one day.

Vaguely remember a documentary from a few years back where youngsters getting freed by clubs (perhaps in England) were being offered the opportunity to find out if they had an aptitude for things like athletics, cycling and other sporting disciplines if, of course, football was unlikely to be an option for them going forward. Not heard too much about it since so don't know if it's something being carried forward in a wider sense or if it was just an experimental thing involving only one club. The thinking behind it was that these guys were young, fit and healthy with a natural propensity towards sporting endeavour, a will to win and competitiveness. Sounds like a right good idea to me. Great to see the Club taking an active interest in these boy's future!?

10 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

EIGHT Rangers Academy players will depart the club this summer to play their football elsewhere next season.

Dylan Dykes, Luca Gasparotto, David Brownlie, Darren Ramsay, Mekhi McLeod, Jamie Brandon, Tom Lang and Jamie Mills who all played in the clubs development squad this year or on loan will now develop their footballing careers at another club.

Head of Academy, Craig Mulholland commented: “It is always a difficult time of year when informing players that they will no longer be at the club.

“Some of the lads such as Dylan, Darren and the two Jamie’s have been with the club from a very young age and it is an emotional time for the staff and the players.

“We wish all the boys well in their future careers.”

Sadly the harsh realities of football. Does not mean that these boys won't develop into very fine players, just that they have not shown enough to the Ibrox decision makers at this moment in time. As happens in football, some of these lads may return and bite us in the backside at some point in the future ha. But hey that's football, I wish them well.

23 hours ago, Dutchy said:

was Chris Burke not featured in this?

though my memory is not as sharp as it used to be

13 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

was Chris Burke not featured in this?

though my memory is not as sharp as it used to be

Charlie adam wad also in it.

Also a keeper who thought he had made it and blew all his wages on cars etc despite being unable to drive then his career went to fuck.

They revisited a few of them.a few years ago in a follow up documentry

57 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Charlie adam wad also in it.

Also a keeper who thought he had made it and blew all his wages on cars etc despite being unable to drive then his career went to fuck.

They revisited a few of them.a few years ago in a follow up documentry

Callum Reidford? 

Chris Burke & Charlie Adam were the most successful from the Blue Heaven programme.

Scott Agnew made a career for himself but the others like the vast majority never make the grade. I believe Chris Craig was the most talented player at younger levels but never kicked on.

Gasparotto apart you couldn't make a case for the othes this time roundr tbh.

33 minutes ago, jcb said:

Chris Burke & Charlie Adam were the most successful from the Blue Heaven programme.

Scott Agnew made a career for himself but the others like the vast majority never make the grade. I believe Chris Craig was the most talented player at younger levels but never kicked on.

Gasparotto apart you couldn't make a case for the othes this time roundr tbh.

Was there not a big hype about Stevie Lennon as well? don't think he did anything for himself. Don't think Gasparotto was ever in contention to be part of Warburton's plans hence his release.

52 minutes ago, WGOH said:

Was there not a big hype about Stevie Lennon as well? don't think he did anything for himself. Don't think Gasparotto was ever in contention to be part of Warburton's plans hence his release.

Stevie Lennon plays in Iceland these days, I think.

Yup. I agree it's good to see but for the simple reason that it will help us attract top players at that level too.

It would be good peace of mind for them to see that this type of aftercare would be a consolation to them should they maybe sign for us and it doesn't work out.

I know if I was on the fence regarading a move to a team and they offered me that sort of help then it would swing me.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:30 PM, GrizzlyBear72 said:

Vaguely remember a documentary from a few years back where youngsters getting freed by clubs (perhaps in England) were being offered the opportunity to find out if they had an aptitude for things like athletics, cycling and other sporting disciplines if, of course, football was unlikely to be an option for them going forward. Not heard too much about it since so don't know if it's something being carried forward in a wider sense or if it was just an experimental thing involving only one club. The thinking behind it was that these guys were young, fit and healthy with a natural propensity towards sporting endeavour, a will to win and competitiveness. Sounds like a right good idea to me. Great to see the Club taking an active interest in these boy's future!?

There was a boy at Bo'ness United that gave up the football and took up 400m running. I think he ran in the relay at the Commonwealth games.

After he started doing the training he was very disparaging about how football players were being trained and how they looked after themselves. He freely admitted he was as bad as the rest of them, but was now doing things completely differently as an athlete as compared to his time as a player. Think there was a documentary in which he featured at the time.

And we wonder why we can't produce the youngsters!