Songs that annoy you at games

Rambo1872

30 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Its much more recent than that.

Reed's Nautical Almanac (1990 edition) unambiguously states: "The Union Flag, frequently but incorrectly referred to as the Union Jack, ..." and later: "8. The Jack – A small flag worn on a jackstaff on the stem of Naval Vessels. The Royal Navy wears the Union Flag ... This is the only occasion when it correct to describe the flag as the Union Jack".

"Jack" was in use for over 100 years before jackstaffs existed. It probably meant "small" as a small flag was customarily flown from the bowsprit so yes, it has a naval origin. However, as I acknowledge the supremacy of Parliament, I prefer their word rather than that of an author who perpetuates an urban myth.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

"Jack" was in use for over 100 years before jackstaffs existed. It probably meant "small" as a small flag was customarily flown from the bowsprit so wes, it has a naval origin. However, as I acknowledge the supremacy of Parliament, I prefer their word rather than that of an author who perpetuates an urban myth.

I'm happy with my take on it and you are happy with yours. You know 'Reed' isn't an author of course!

I want my Union Flag to be something other than 'diminutive'. Of course the flag didn't exist in its current form until 1801!

The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

Hate all the wee add ons that some feel the need to use ( fuck bobby sands , he's deid. etc)  Why can't they just sing the song as it was intended to be sung ? Doesn't just happen at the games though , annoys me when I'm at functions as well  :anguish:  Crabbit bastard loyal .

1 hour ago, RFC Eagle said:

I'm happy with my take on it and you are happy with yours. You know 'Reed' isn't an author of course!

I want my Union Flag to be something other than 'diminutive'. Of course the flag didn't exist in its current form until 1801!

The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

Did I say Reed was the author? That would be like saying Wisden was the author os last year's "Wisden". I said "an author"; someone wrote it.

If my memory serves me well the nananana song has been kicking round since early 70's. Also Penny Arcade is probably Roy Orbisons worst song. What about Follow Follow also born under a union thingy :ph34r:  & blue blue sea of Ibrox as we don't seem to hear them often enough.

That the one you sing to your superiors at work who are too mature and important? Like, " Boris Boris geez the sash, boris boris geez the sash"???

P.S Boris is a fictional character created to mimic a superior at work who frowns upon any sectarian singing

3 hours ago, Queen's_highway said:

Udr4 is my favourite at away games but when it starts up now there's not many that join in and it flutters away. Wish we could back to when we sung from the first minute to the last. I know that won't happen at home but to me it will happen against the child snatchers and sheep but no others. 

I'm a young Ulster soldier from North of the Border, I'm one of the UDR4... 

Reminds me of Aberdeen, Hearts away. 

3 hours ago, M0NTY said:

Apologies for an off topic reply but when thunderstruck was mentioned it reminded me of how these burds come out onto the pitch......

Enjoy fellas, a bunch of tidy burds that would kick fuck right out ye. No skinnys in here all perfectly chubby in the right places. 

PERVERT! cheers ?

2 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Would sook ye in and blaw ye oot in bubbles!

Ride ye, kick fuck out you, and demand to be ridden again. No into the domination thing but fuck it, i wid let one of them walk me about the house on the dugs lead and demand me to do bad things to their sexual organs

47 minutes ago, Tom0411 said:

If my memory serves me well the nananana song has been kicking round since early 70's. Also Penny Arcade is probably Roy Orbisons worst song. What about Follow Follow also born under a union thingy :ph34r:  & blue blue sea of Ibrox as we don't seem to hear them often enough.

Aye, it's Bananarama who done it

Nanana, hey hey hey, kiss him goodbye

theres one song that should be played before we take to the pich and thats follow follow, theres one version i had many mnany years ago that had commentary from archie macpherson from past historic moments, like hately against the sheep, ally overhead against hibs and durrant against the taigs 1-1 at ibrox, i got it at the old rangers shop across from robert stores back in the day