Waste of £1.8million..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, 908 said:

Folk are missing the point here. I'm not writing Garner off - though if Warbuton wanted a plank of wood who spends the whole game poaching and waiting for tap ins he should have kept Kris Boyd. But that money could have bought us an international class defender!

You're at it mate, name me an international class defender we could have got for 1.8 mill in a market where Grant fucking Hanley cost 5.5million.

in addition to our defensive frailties, we do need to convert more of  the chances we make..  Presume Garner was signed with that in mind, whether he is successful we need to wait and find out.

MW has slipped up in not getting better quality defenders in.  Don't know why that is as he is usually quite thorough in his preparation.  Now that we are past the transfer deadline, we need to go with what we have.  Maybe, as you say, it is time for MW to change his system to better accommodate the defensive players we have, and their deficiencies.  May take away from our attacking potential but we cannot continue losing bad goals.  On that issue, we also need to sort out losing goals at set pieces.  Surely we can do something on the practice ground to solve that.

It wouldn't have been my choice, and it will no doubt cause us all some grief, but I cannot condemn the man for deciding to throw caution to the wind when we are two down with 15-20min to go.

24 minutes ago, 908 said:

Folk are missing the point here. I'm not writing Garner off - though if Warbuton wanted a plank of wood who spends the whole game poaching and waiting for tap ins he should have kept Kris Boyd. But that money could have bought us an international class defender!

I thought Garner was one of our better players today. Didn't get much in the way of service but was challenging for everything. I think we have a good player in him and once we settle he'll get more than a few goals 

45 minutes ago, 908 said:

I'm not singling Joe Garner out here, who managed to score with his only touch of the ball, but surely anyone ca

n see that you can get a decent international class centre half for that money. Yet Warbuton spends it on a 3rd division English striker??

Today isn't the first time we have been destroyed by the Tim's - it happened twice to Advocaat - but in both cases those results were shocks. The worst thing about today was that we were all half expecting it. It has been coming, and although Celtic have spent about 10 million this summer the fact is we haven't got value for the 5 million or so we have spent. Because when you insist on only buying players from England it doesn't go far.

And the blame has to fall on the manager. Any one could see we needed a centre half, yet he has signed a couple of has beens to cover for Wilson and Kiernan if they got injured. He has also changed the midfield, bringing in another 2 has beens AND dropping Halliday & Holt - who dominated Celtics midfield last season. But the worst of all was today. Going with one centre half, who's on a booking, when you've used 3 subs already is completely unforgivable. He doesn't care how much Celtic beat us by - it's only a game to him.

He wasn't kidding there is no plan B - you don't need one at Brentford where the fans would have been happy with not getting relegated back to their usual spot in division 4. It is the mark of a good manager to change your tactics. It is the mark of a poor manager to refuse to address them. And lets not let Frank McParland off the hook either, since he came in last autumn has he signed one good player?

Are are you retarded?

I would point out what's wrong with this post but I'd be here all day 

15 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

You're at it mate, name me an international class defender we could have got for 1.8 mill in a market where Grant fucking Hanley cost 5.5million.

That Sviachenko is a Danish international and only cost them about £2million. Hanley' s valuation sums up how ridiculous the English market is, and that's why we should be looking abroad. It's nonsense to say this management haven't been in long enough to set up a scouting network. Fuck sake Willie McKay used to be a one-man scouting network..

29 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

His record doesn't suggest he's a championship striker at all to be perfectly honest.

Nothing worse than someone getting praised for 'getting stuck in'... running about, competing for headers etc... For the money we spent on this lad, he should be getting on the ball, linking up play, doesn't look like he has the ability to do this. And this is not based on the 2 games that some are spouting, people have seen Garner play in England as well. 

I believe this this will turn out to be a poor and desperation signing and money could have been used far more sensibly. He's overpriced in my opinion, hopefully I'm proved wrong.

To be honest I don't think many, if any Rangers fan really has the sufficient knowledge to critique Garner's credentials at Preston, myself included, as we haven't seen him week in week out. The simple fact though is that he was a regular striker in the Championship last season and was continually praised by his management, team mates, opposition and fans alike. My point to the OP was simply stating he is/or was a Championship striker whether anyone likes it or not.

In fairness to Garner I think he has had one piece of service in the part Killie, and full c*ltic games combined and managed to get 1 goal. He has been left up top on his own fighting impossible battles. And despite being relatively small he was beating much taller guys than himself in the air, winning duels he had no right to win. His temperament, tenacity and passion can only take him so far, and I agree you need to have quality too. However, he needs service and players like Windass, McKay, Waghorn, Holt, MOH, Forrester, Tav to provide for him. Without them it's difficult for him. From what i've seen of him the boy can finish, and I think once we sort the other front 5 positions and get a bit more confidence we will create chances aplenty, and Garner will reap the rewards. Well I certainly hope that's how it plays out. For anyone to class him a waste of money, at this very early stage is a tad unfair though..........

What Rangers have been through in the last few years would of killed of most teams. Ceptic at this moment of time are the better team but the gap isn't as wide as today's score line might reflect. 

I am a Warburton fan and do feel as if he has the ability to put Rangers back to the rightful position of been Scotlands No.1 team. The structure he's creating from the youths to the 1st team will herald a new beginning that'll will recreate Rangers dominance of Scottish football and will bring the coveted 10 in a row albeit it might need 11 seasons to get it. 

I am basing a lot of faith in the youth structure and Mark Warburton management but I think it's warranted sorely on the improvement from a team that couldn't win the Scottish championship to one that dominated it instantly and won it with many games in hand. 

In every central position today was players that haven't played a competitive game together and I think that played a factor today, the team he is building still need time to gel. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd72 said:

It could've. The tims signed Sviatchenko last January for less than that and he's the second best defender in the league.

1 hour ago, 908 said:

i'm not singling Joe Garner out here, who managed to score with his only touch of the ball, but surely anyone can see that you can get a decent international class centre half for that money. Yet Warbuton spends it on a 3rd division English striker??

Today isn't the first time we have been destroyed by the Tim's - it happened twice to Advocaat - but in both cases those results were shocks. The worst thing about today was that we were all half expecting it. It has been coming, and although Celtic have spent about 10 million this summer the fact is we haven't got value for the 5 million or so we have spent. Because when you insist on only buying players from England it doesn't go far.

And the blame has to fall on the manager. Any one could see we needed a centre half, yet he has signed a couple of has beens to cover for Wilson and Kiernan if they got injured. He has also changed the midfield, bringing in another 2 has beens AND dropping Halliday & Holt - who dominated Celtics midfield last season. But the worst of all was today. Going with one centre half, who's on a booking, when you've used 3 subs already is completely unforgivable. He doesn't care how much Celtic beat us by - it's only a game to him.

He wasn't kidding there is no plan B - you don't need one at Brentford where the fans would have been happy with not getting relegated back to their usual spot in division 4. It is the mark of a good manager to change your tactics. It is the mark of a poor manager to refuse to address them. And lets not let Frank McParland off the hook either, since he came in last autumn has he signed one good player?

The grim reality is we are going to spend the rest of the season scrapping to finish in the top 4, which is not exactly what they promised when season tickets were up for renewal. But it's not all Dave Kings fault..

Not singling him out?

So what's the thread title about papeface?

Away ye go and enjoy yer night, i bet bernadette is enjoying hers since she isn't getting a black eye.

Too many bheggars in here tonight.

10 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

It could've. The tims signed Sviatchenko last January for less than that and he's the second best defender in the league.

Not just talking about you lad but I am fucking sick of seeing more positive shit about the tarriers on here than about us, fair enough if you think that about him but keep your positive thoughts about the scum to yourself. 

I think Warburton didn't want to spend it on a CB because he is an attack minded coach and knows our system will leak us goals anyway, he probably signed garner to go along with his philosophy that is if they score 4 we'll score 5 because that's the way he believes football should be played. It's a tough one but I always try to be optimistic so I believe it will work out in the end.

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

Not just talking about you lad but I am fucking sick of seeing more positive shit about the tarriers on here than about us, fair enough if you think that about him but keep your positive thoughts about the scum to yourself. 

I think Warburton didn't want to spend it on a CB because he is an attack minded coach and knows our system will leak us goals anyway, he probably signed garner to go along with his philosophy that is if they score 4 we'll score 5 because that's the way he believes football should be played. It's a tough one but I always try to be optimistic so I believe it will work out in the end.

I'm not slagging Garner I think he'll be great for us, all I'm saying is we could've signed a much better standard of CB than who we've got.

1 hour ago, A.T.G said:

Why is it all you low fucking posters seem to appear during the shittest of times

Do us all a favour and fuck off

Who can't read & miss the point of the OP that the money would have been better spent elsewhere!