Discussion "Mickey Mols" what could have been

Nieto11878

13 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Van Hooijdonk was one of the best free kick takers in Europe at the time and he was about 6'5 too. That makes him pretty much the ideal fourth choice 'off the bench' to 'mix it up' type player that you can ask for. That along with Van Nistelrooy's injury is why I would imagine that he was in the squad.

As I said before Mols was well down the pecking order internationally and I doubt that would have changed at 29 years old and maybe it's just because I was a bit too young to truly appreciate him but I just don't see how a near 30 year old was this future Premier League striker who was going to become a key international striker and lead us to the Champions League.

If he was going to be any of those things it would have already happened before he moved to us. 

As much as I hate to say it because he's a big horrible bastard. Van Hooijdonk was more than just a free kick taker who they could throw on to mix it up. He actually had a tremendous strike rate at every club he played for.

The same season Mols got injured  against Bayern, van Hooijdonk was back playing in Holland and averaging almost a goal per game.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astounding to think about how I used to feel going into these games. Imagine genuinely believing (and almost expecting) to beat Bayern Munich away in the Champions League these days. 

Loved Mols. Just wish he was a bit nastier, and had protected himself over Khan. Shows the class of him as a person though. 

'Posh Spice is a hooker,

Shes got a smelly hole, 

And when she's shagging Beckham,

She thinks of Michael Mols' 

:lol: 

IF he didn't have that injury I think he would of been up there with the best players we've ever had,all hypothetical now but before his injury he just tearing average defenders a new one he had thuram,canavaro(Parma) kuffour,mattues(Bayern) and psv defenders in knots trying to guess what he was going to do next!

such a shame he got that injury 

Although he had a good strike rate for us I've always felt he would have been best utilized as a provider. His ability to lose a man and create space was as good as any player I've ever seen and I don't just mean wearing the light blue.

Michael Molls imo should have been the ultimate no10 playing along side a really sharp finisher able to exploit the space he so effortlessly created. He was custom made for the big occasion as he proved during his time with us. It didn't seem to matter the quality of the opposition, he had the ability and temperament to do his thing in every game he played.

That ability should have seen our club triumph in Europe for a good few years had it not been for that injury. He really was that special once in a generation type of talent and we were lucky to have him at his best, if only for a short time.

3 hours ago, pollok-bear said:

Yeah I know that but potentially I think Mols could have been a better player mate. There was alot more to come from Mols and that injury done him.

I'm not really sure what you would base that on. I certainly don't think that injury robbed us of a regular 30-40 goal a season striker which is what the tarriers had in Larsson.

Throughout Mols' career that's never what he was and I don't think at the age of 30 he was suddenly going to become one.

We're all entitled to our opinions though.