Discussion "Mickey Mols" what could have been

Nieto11878

That trip over to Munich with my Dad and 2 Cousins on the Kinning Park 2nd Bus remains a wonderful memory of just how amazing the travelling support Rangers could rely on. So much German beer and humongous amounts of blue label vodka was swallayed on that trip.

The impromptu Orange Walk round the streets of Munchen the night before the game..Outstanding..

The Bouncey Bouncey on the Train to the Stadium..Madness..

That cnut Kahn being partly responsible for us loosing a truly fantastic Striker on what looked like one of our best performances in Europe for years..

The main memory that always haunted me (apart from the ref awarding a soft as shite penalty) was Johnaton Johannsen missing a glorious chance near the end that  would have seen us qualify if he had buried it in the onion bag..

Mols if he had been a bit more nasty could have avoided getting injured..But Khan will always be a cnut to me..  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Agreed.

Striker maybe but there are players way ahead of Mols even before his injury in terms of sheer talent like Laudraup, Gazza, Cooper, Baxter, Greig and so on.

I don't even think he'd be one of our greatest ever strikers tbh. I don't get this argument that the injury in the Bayern Munich game robbed us of some sort of superstar striker either. 

Other than his final season with Utrecht before we signed him he never hit more than 20 league goals in a season. 

After he returned from injury we got pretty much the same goal scoring record from him that he had had throughout his whole career.

Fantastic player for us, just not as good as some seem to remember.

13 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

That trip over to Munich with my Dad and 2 Cousins on the Kinning Park 2nd Bus remains a wonderful memory of just how amazing the travelling support Rangers could rely on. So much German beer and humongous amounts of blue label vodka was swallayed on that trip.

The impromptu Orange Walk round the streets of Munchen the night before the game..Outstanding..

That cnut Kahn being partly responsible for us loosing a truly fantastic Striker on what looked like one of our best performances in Europe for years..

The main memory that always haunted me (apart from the ref awarding a soft as shite penalty) was Johnaton Johannsen missing a glorious chance near the end that  would have seen us qualify if he had buried it in the onion bag..

Mols if he had been a bit more nasty could have avoided getting injured..But Khan will always be a cnut to me..  

Cunt*

2 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

I don't even think he'd be one of our greatest ever strikers tbh. I don't get this argument that the injury in the Bayern Munich game robbed us of some sort of superstar striker either. 

Other than his final season with Utrecht before we signed him he never hit more than 20 league goals in a season. 

After he returned from injury we got pretty much the same goal scoring record from him that he had had throughout his whole career.

Fantastic player for us, just not as good as some seem to remember.

Plenty of players, in particular strikers, can find form in their later 20s though. Just start banging in the goals, but the thing about Mols was it was never just about his goals. You really had to watch him to see how good he was.

He was never 100% about the stats, he was an entertainer with outstanding ball control and quite correctly held in such high regard. We will never know if we were robbed of a superstar, which makes it all the more thought provoking.

43 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

He could turn a defence inside out, the best way to mark him was give him space as if tou got up tight on him he turned you inside out.

Mols was amazing he had the skills and the only thing that surprises me is he was not at Ajax or PSV before we even got near him.

Will never ever forgive that cunt Kahn for what he did.

3.50 minutes in... what did he do to him, mate? 

32 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

Agree with that post, it was an amazing trip.  Wouldn't criticise JJ for the miss.  If it is the one I remember,  we were right behind Kahns goal and to this day I don't know how he got his fingers to Johannson's shot.

18 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Plenty of players, in particular strikers, can find form in their later 20s though. Just start banging in the goals, but the thing about Mols was it was never just about his goals. You really had to watch him to see how good he was.

He was never 100% about the stats, he was an entertainer with outstanding ball control and quite correctly held in such high regard. We will never know if we were robbed of a superstar, which makes it all the more thought provoking.

Not doubting his ability or denying how good he was to watch. Just saying that if you look at his stats throughout his career there's nothing to suggest that the injury had any huge affect on his ability as a player. We undoubtedly missed out on a few more goals from him as he seemed to have hit a purple patch around that time in his career but when he returned from injury it seemed to be business as usual for him.

Personally I think the claims that he was this world class striker are wide of the mark. 

9 minutes ago, Sam English Loyal said:

Had certain injuries not happened to our best players at certain pivotal moments, there would be at least one European Cup in the Ibrox trophy room

:disappointment:

Would you say we may well have won it had Terry Butcher not got injured? I think there is a case for that argument, taking into account that we beat one of the best sides in European football before his injury.

7 hours ago, Nieto11878 said:

Mickey Mols is one of my all time favourite players never seen a guy turn a defence so quick or work centre halfs so much on their own. I have long said had he not got injured we would have been lucky to keep him for another season or two. I am 100% certain that had his injury not been so bad he would have been better than Larsson.

watched highlights of the Bayern Munich games home and away the other week and he ran them ragged on his own what we would do for someone of his quality now.

Always have the conversation and 100% agree with you he would have been a superstar and he's 1 of my all time favourite players 

24 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Not doubting his ability or denying how good he was to watch. Just saying that if you look at his stats throughout his career there's nothing to suggest that the injury had any huge affect on his ability as a player. We undoubtedly missed out on a few more goals from him as he seemed to have hit a purple patch around that time in his career but when he returned from injury it seemed to be business as usual for him.

Personally I think the claims that he was this world class striker are wide of the mark. 

You're at it.

56 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Would you say we may well have won it had Terry Butcher not got injured? I think there is a case for that argument, taking into account that we beat one of the best sides in European football before his injury.

I'm reading that as referring to Jim  Baxter's leg break in the last minute against Rapid Vienna in the 1964-65 European Cup. 

Man for man we were as good as the tarriers who won it two years later with favourable draws all the way to the final.

10 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Without naming the obvious ones.

Rod Wallace had a better record for us than Mols did.

Whilst Rod Wallace was a very good player for us, he was not in the same league as Mols. 

Mols would have ended up at a top club in England Had he not been injured.

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Whilst Rod Wallace was a very good player for us, he was not in the same league as Mols. 

Mols would have ended up at a top club in England Had he not been injured.

Not in the same league? He had a better goals per games ratio for us in every competition he played in.

As good as Mols was for us, this thing about him ending up at a top club had he not been injured is a total myth with absolutely nothing to back it up.

3 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Not in the same league? He had a better goals per games ratio for us in every competition he played in.

As good as Mols was for us, this thing about him ending up at a top club had he not been injured is a total myth with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Aye ok.