FC Copenhagen consider withdrawing from league

johanhentze

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/10/2016 at 9:49 AM, johanhentze said:

...to form a an international league with teams from Scotland, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium (....) after UEFA announced new plans for Champions League. They sound pretty serious about this. Seems a lot of clubs are pretty fucked off with the new plans. Interesting times ahead. 

Oh aye that will tell them, kids all over vet Europe will shun Man City v Barcelona in the CL to take in the Copenhagen and Gothenburg local derby

On 13/10/2016 at 1:38 PM, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

Love my away days too much for this too happen unless away days in this were affordable.

A breakaway tournament would be a better idea rather than league for me 

A breakaway tournament would have all the appeal of the europa  league, none

On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

A never quite understand why Europa league doesn't have the appeal mate, champions league spot up for grabs if you win it 

This is because all the teams and media in the top leagues grumble about it so much, until they they are in the last 4 and all of a sudden it is a fantastic competition. Simply, it is down to money for that lot- Europa doesn't offer enough.

Personally, I really enjoy the Europa league over the CL as teams are much more closely matched and you do see some 'unknkown' sides who can cause upsets more regularly.

2 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

If Benfica and Porto were involved they would wipe the floor with every cunt :lol: 

Agreed.

They've not even been mentioned as one of the nations to take part though. Think it's just wishful thinking by some because without the likes of their teams being mentioned, this idea doesn't seem quite as glamorous.

2 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

If Benfica and Porto were involved they would wipe the floor with every cunt :lol: 

Don't know about that both are relatively poor now. Porto havent won a game in a group including Copenhagen and brugge

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

Oh well shows what i know :lol:

Point stands though 2 of them ain't at the level they were about 5 or six year back for Benfica and about 10 year ago for porto

Porto always seem to have a decent team but never really deliver much in the champions league.

Even the season we made the last 16, they had a tremendous squad and finished bottom of the group.

5 hours ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Agreed.

They've not even been mentioned as one of the nations to take part though. Think it's just wishful thinking by some because without the likes of their teams being mentioned, this idea doesn't seem quite as glamorous.

They were mentioned in previous iterations.

Obviously it doesn't look as glamorous, still beats the pants off Hamilton Accies though.

28 minutes ago, Inigo said:

They were mentioned in previous iterations.

Obviously it doesn't look as glamorous, still beats the pants off Hamilton Accies though.

Yeah I was just meaning they haven't been mentioned in these talks that have supposedly taken place regarding it happening this time. 

Whether that means they aren't interested or just haven't been approached yet I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Don't see why that would be the case in the long run.

In the long run I reckon we could be the big dogs of a league like that just due to sheer fan base and sponsorship revenue etc, but for the first few years Ajax, PSV, Benfica etc would win most games comfortably. 

5 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

In the long run I reckon we could be the big dogs of a league like that just due to sheer fan base and sponsorship revenue etc, but for the first few years Ajax, PSV, Benfica etc would win most games comfortably. 

Personally, I think it'd level out quite quickly to being regularly shared between us, sellic, Ajax, Feyenoord, Porto and Benfica with the occasional other team.

In that fantasy scenario, I could see it being very, very competitive and interesting.

Who knows though. Could provide a platform for some other team to grow unexpectedly. There is some potential there for that.

10 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

There would have to be some rule regarding the amount South American/African players (ex colonies) entering the squads of the Portuguese and Dutch sides, been an unfair advantage for a lot of European nations for a long time and it needs tied up.

54 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

There would have to be some rule regarding the amount South American/African players (ex colonies) entering the squads of the Portuguese and Dutch sides, been an unfair advantage for a lot of European nations for a long time and it needs tied up.

Aye its ridiculous the amount of money Porto make from buying Brazilian, Uruguayan and Colombian players :lol: Good business though int it, if we could do it I'd fully expect us to.

Just now, FSM said:

I just want to know why it's called the Atlantic league? Most of the countries involved are nowhere near the fucking Atlantic Ocean, just us and Portugal. The North Sea league would be a more geographically apt name.

The North Sea is part of the Atlantic Ocean.