Some other names for DoF (Telegraph)

Gandhi1872

Alex McLeish is favourite to take charge at Ibrox if the Rangers board decide on an interim manager until the end of the season, following the departure of Mark Warburton on Friday. 

The Ibrox board has other managerial candidates to consider for the long-term, including Derek McInnes of Aberdeen, a former Rangers player, along with St Johnstone’s Tommy Wright and Michael O’Neill, manager of Northern Ireland.

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal that possible candidates for a proposed post of director of football include Paul Mitchell, who is working his notice as head of recruitment at Spurs, Stuart Webber, head of football operations at Huddersfield Town and also John Park, the former chief scout at Celtic. Park was credited with having been instrumental in attracting players of the calibre of Victor Wanyama and Virgil van Dijk during his 10 years at Parkhead, before parting company with Rangers’ arch-foes in October.

No movement will occur before Monday, with under-20 coach Graeme Murty in charge for Sunday’s William Hill Scottish Cup fifth-round tie at home to Greenock Morton. McLeish declined to make any comment on the possibility of his return to Ibrox for a second spell in charge, having guided Rangers to two Scottish championships and five cup wins between 2001 and 2006.

Warburton, meanwhile, remains adamant that no agreement was reached between Rangers and his representative, Dave Lockwood, to the effect that he and his assistant, David Weir, and the club’s head of recruitment, Frank McParland, would resign.

The former Brentford boss also claims to have referred the matter to both his lawyers and the League Managers Association, although there has been no confirmation from the LMA of contact from Warburton over the issue.

However, Dave King, the Rangers chairman, issued a statement which accused Warburton of having reacted badly to a review by the Ibrox directors of his performance. King said: “Ahead of the board meeting at the end of January, I advised the manager that the board wished to review our recruitment plan and performance over the previous two windows.

“This was a routine request and was timely given the concerns that everyone at the club has with regard to the high level of wages we were paying relative to the performance on the pitch. In particular, a large portion of our wage bill was not even seeing regular playing time. 

“Under normal circumstances such a review would remain confidential. However, in this instance, the board’s routine questioning of management was leaked to the media and conveyed as being a negative reflection of the board’s attitude to the manager and the recruitment department. It was confirmed to me that the leak did not come from a board member.

“Things moved quickly from that point. There were rumours that the management team (presumably their agent) was negotiating with English clubs and, in one instance, I was informally approached to ask if the club would waive compensation if the management team was to leave.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The DoF approach may have something to it but its a risk and I'm not sure we can take any more risks with the mhanks moving towards 10 in a row

It involves shelling out two salaries so either you start spending more to get a quality DOF and Head Coach or you go bargain basement for both where you'd previously have paid one manager salary.

The problem with a DoF up here is that  the Rangers manager has to be a very strong personality! That usually doesn't go down well unless the DoF is fully in the background and has a very good relationship with said manager. 

However it could work as DoF should have a long term objective to bring in players, develop them and sell them on for a profit. So we'd need a manager who was only interested in immediate results and dealing with that immediate pressure to get results. 

3 hours ago, lazza1873 said:

Not sure on DOF.

Plenty managers don't like working under one so why are we limiting ourselves?

Not in a position to be fuckin about get the best man in.

That's because you have a coach under a DoF not a manager.

Don't like the director of football concept. 

One man and a strong, single-minded, experienced, talented man at that should call the shots at our football club when it comes to the football side.

Maybe I'm going mental or my dinner gave me some sort of food poisoning but the more I think about it if it came to it I don't think Tommy Wright would do THAT bad a job. I think he'd be in the mould of a Walter that's no-nonsense, organised and knows how to set a team up.

I feel a bit mad even typing that, but it's just the more I think about it.

Gotta stress he's not my choice and I'd rather not but if we did end up with him. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

One man and a strong, single-minded, experienced, talented man at that should call the shots at our football club when it comes to the football side.

Maybe I'm going mental or my dinner gave me some sort of food poisoning but the more I think about it if it came to it I don't think Tommy Wright would do THAT bad a job. I think he'd be in the mould of a Walter that's no-nonsense, organised and knows how to set a team up.

Gotta stress he's not my choice and I'd rather not but if we did end up with him. 

Yup, you're going mental :lol:

I'd hope Wright was 5th or 6th choice tbh.

Consistent enough to finish in the top 5, nowhere near consistent enough to challenge for the league IMO. 

The manager IMO should be the highest paid and most respected part of the staff, including the players. 

The only way a DoF works here is if the manager has worked with one before and that's what makes me think it's going to be De Boer. It's probably more hope than reality at the moment but the DoF chat does get you thinking. 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

They have the DoF setup all over the continent which is why they can sack coaches every few months. I just think when you see Warburton talking about the footballing philosophy he was trying to foster - that could all be lost when we bring in someone else. If we had a DoF in place then it doesn't matter who the coach is, there's a continuation there. The DoF dealing with stuff like identifying transfer targets, having oversight of the youths etc. frees up the coach to focus on the first team alone.

Agree about Wright too if we're going dowb the usual route.

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Yup, you're going mental :lol:

I'd hope Wright was 5th or 6th choice tbh.

Consistent enough to finish in the top 5, nowhere near consistent enough to challenge for the league IMO. 

The manager IMO should be the highest paid and most respected part of the staff, including the players. 

The only way a DoF works here is if the manager has worked with one before and that's what makes me think it's going to be De Boer. It's probably more hope than reality at the moment but the DoF chat does get you thinking. 

I don't want him, he wouldn't be my number one choice but we need someone in that mould if we fail to attract Frank De Boer.

Wright would be head and shoulders above McLeish, O'Neill, Davies, McInnes, Butcher or any of that lot mentioned. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

I don't want him, he wouldn't be my number one choice but we need someone in that mould if we fail to attract Frank De Boer.

Wright would be head and shoulders above McLeish, O'Neill, Davies, McInnes, Butcher or any of that lot mentioned. 

Probably, but I'd be gutted if it became a fight between Wright, McInnes, McLeish and Davies. 

It has to be much bigger than that.

You have to wonder why there seems to be such a desire for a DOF. 

It's not like the board members have had huge success elsewhere with the role, or even that it's guaranteed success in Scottish football. It's an even bigger gamble than making someone a Manager. You have to nail two positions instead of one and then keep both of them happy. 

Just now, ben51 said:

You have to wonder why there seems to be such a desire for a DOF. 

It's not like the board members have had huge success elsewhere with the role, or even that it's guaranteed success in Scottish football. It's an even bigger gamble than making someone a Manager. You have to nail two positions instead of one and then keep both of them happy. 

Because it saves a club having to start from scratch every few years when a manager inevitably leaves.

3 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The DoF approach may have something to it but its a risk and I'm not sure we can take any more risks with the mhanks moving towards 10 in a row

If it works, great.

If it doesn't, it's another waste of our slender cash resources.

10 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Because it saves a club having to start from scratch every few years when a manager inevitably leaves.

Not looked into this, but gut feel tells me the average span in post for a DOF will be shorter than the average for a Rangers manager.

6 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Not looked into this, but gut feel tells me the average span in post for a DOF will be shorter than the average for a Rangers manager.

The average these days will be 3-4 years and a DoF should be in the job for at least double that.

I'm not sure of any figures either as its a relatively new thing but that's the premise at least.