And so the media witch hunt begins

8 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

It was a strange thing to do. It did seem a bit pompous him naming his team off the cuff like that though, as if it doesn't matter who plays, we are still going to win. 

http://www.sport.co.uk/football/naming-euro-squad-early-will-ensure-ideal-preparation-says/8531829/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Naming a squad is hardly the same as naming a starting 11.

It seems to be a new thing managers are doing I've got a few references to it. It's mostly done in Belgium Here's another link 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1719519/sam-allardyce-shows-no-fear-as-he-names-england-world-cup-qualifer-team-48-hours-early/

2 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

It seems to be a new thing managers are doing I've got a few references to it. It's mostly done in Belgium Here's another link 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1719519/sam-allardyce-shows-no-fear-as-he-names-england-world-cup-qualifer-team-48-hours-early/

OK you've given a squad and a team named early. Think we've also had levein and mourinho once.

That's less than a handful in thousands of games.

It's really not a new thing.

25 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

So Sammon is wrong even though he says he felt extra motivation from it?

McCulloch is lying when he says he used it to motivate his players and tweaked tactics to suit. Is that false too?

The motivation and tweaking of positions is the advantage. You don't need to accept that but if they're saying that's what they took from it then it's their advantage.

And as I say, it's not a witch-hunt if it's highly topical which it is.

Those players would have been pumped to fuck anyhoo- they were playing the Famous ffs. A pissy wee speech about disrespect would have very little extra benefit. Sammon is at it, as is the press. 

As for "tweaking " tactics that's pish too McCulloch is  bigging up the draw after the fact. He wants that job and can dribble any pish he likes after the game giving himself some tactical pat on the back  

5 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I'm sure Trapattoni when he was at ROI used to name his starting 11 a few days before every qualifier iirc.

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Those players would have been pumped to fuck anyhoo- they were playing the Famous ffs. A pissy wee speech about disrespect would have very little extra benefit. Sammon is at it, as is the press. 

As for "tweaking " tactics that's pish too McCulloch is  bigging up the draw after the fact. He wants that job and can dribble any pish he likes after the game giving himself some tactical pat on the back  

OK.

They talk shite cos it doesn't fit your argument.

I get it.

Edit:

And the way it's going taking points off the Famous isn't that huge a scalp.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

OK you've given a squad and a team named early. Think we've also had levein and mourinho once.

That's less than a handful in thousands of games.

It's really not a new thing.

Maybe it's not new but it certainly looks to be the new trend 

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

OK.

They talk shite cos it doesn't fit your argument.

I get it.

Nope. 

If I was after that Kilmarnock job and we got a result against us - I would say the same. 

it's retrospective jibber jabber. 

Say they got pumped 4 - 0. Do you think mcculloch would say "I tweaked my tactics cos I knew the Rangers team well in advance and got my tweaking wrong "?

would he fuck 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Nope. 

If I was after that Kilmarnock job and we got a result against us - I would say the same. 

it's retrospective jibber jabber. 

Say they got pumped 4 - 0. Do you think mcculloch would say "I tweaked my tactics cos I knew the Rangers team well in advance and got my tweaking wrong "?

would he fuck 

He used it motivationally, so that in itself means he's used it to his advantage.

Even if they did get beat he could have still used info he wouldn't otherwise have had to their advantage. Using something to advantage isn't exclusive to being victorious.

It was and is a stupid thing to do, pretty much why no one does it, and hopefully never to be done again as it served us no benefit.

People in Scottish football are rather easily offended. And retarded. Bizarre they would find a manager naming his team early so hurtful. Also bizarre that a young winger on loan at Rangers entertaining the crowd with tricks he'll have practised his whole life, was "disrespectful".

Horrible little environment in this shit hole of a footballing backwater. 

5 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

I think he named it early to give the young  boys a chance to come to terms with it rathet than saying an hourbin advance, you're playing. 

Beerman i think said he found out he was playing that way and that he did let him get settled. 

I've no issue with when he names the team but there is also an argument for saying if you're going to put youngsters in then let them know as late as possible, so they don't have time to get nervous, over hyped, etc.

Arguments both ways I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He used it motivationally, so that in itself means he's used it to his advantage.

Even if they did get beat he could have still used info he wouldn't otherwise have had to their advantage. Using something to advantage isn't exclusive to being victorious.

It was and is a stupid thing to do, pretty much why no one does it, and hopefully never to be done again as it served us no benefit.

I agree that even if there is ANY chance of giving the opposition a leg up - we should not be doing it.