World Cup Qualifiers

2 minutes ago, there'sonlyoneamoruso said:

Andorra beat Hungary! WTF?!

Some of the so called wee nations over the last few years are suddenly showing no fear. The minnows of the world are actually starting to make some decent progress. I also think this may have coincided with a general deterioration of a lot of so called bigger nations. International football, IMO, generally speaking, is quite boring and flat. Ironically i'm saying this as I've actually quite enjoyed it tonight haha!

12 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Although that freak result occurred last night and you get the odd shock, the lesser teams should have their own qualifying process to eliminate many of the extremely weak teams like San Marino etc. Cuts down the extra games like tonight that are just a complete waste of money and time.

UEFA are introducing the "nation's league" or whatever it's called to replace qualifiers and friendlies. I think the leagues are banded so the minnows will all be in together.

19 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Although that freak result occurred last night and you get the odd shock, the lesser teams should have their own qualifying process to eliminate many of the extremely weak teams like San Marino etc. Cuts down the extra games like tonight that are just a complete waste of money and time.

No doubt Scotland would end up that group, and totally cock that up aswell.

17 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

It's not replacing qualifiers, those stay the same. The difference is there will be 4 spots available for Euro 2020 via the nations league, one for each of the four groups IIRC. Basically the Nations league is replacing friendlies.

We'll that clears that up. I was (reliably or so I thought) told they were replacing the qualifiers.

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

It's not replacing qualifiers, those stay the same. The difference is there will be 4 spots available for Euro 2020 via the nations league, one for each of the four groups IIRC. Basically the Nations league is replacing friendlies.

That's what I thought was the case, it has been introduced to stop clubs moaning and pulling out players because of friendlies. Top teams play each other regularly ,  Scotland might actually raise points in rankings. Mainly because they simply have picked the wrong teams to play to get wins, and the poor attitude from clubs/players from players to actually perform well in them thinking they are meaningless - when it can help you raise points in FIFA rankings and that determines your pot position.

5 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

Imagine how soul destroying it must be to play for San Marino. 

Disagree, these guys are mostly part time/ amateur players who get days off work to be flown around Europe to play in some if the world's best stadiums against the best players.  No one expects you to do anything so an occasional goal is a big deal. 

6 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

Imagine how soul destroying it must be to play for San Marino. 

FFS they have a population of 31K, China has toilets that hold more than that.  In Bavaria you could get one-third of their population into a beer tent at the Oktoberfest, guys are happy representing their country.  

Playing for Scotland, who used to produce players, now that is soul destroying.