So, if it's not Pedro...

bluey9

11 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Should've been Frank DeBoer if the board had any real ambition 

They don't though. That's probably why they plumped for Pedro.

Because he assured them he could build a good team for sweeties.

Probably why they also plumped for Warburton.

Cheap options that will let them ride the gravy train for a bit longer with minimum cost.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Pedro wont be replaced right now because he needs the chance to finish what he's started with Rangers.  There's a major rebuilding job happening that we all acknowledged, just a few months ago, was necessary.  Once the massive turnaround in players has happened and we have a new squad those players will need time to work together and become a team. 

I fully expect us to win consistently in the league.  Every game up until the first Old Firm game needs to be a victory.  If it isn't, and we lose the first Old Firm game of the season, I expect Pedro will be very close to the exit. 

Should Warburton have been able to finish what he started?

15 minutes ago, soulboy said:

I dont get why people think we'll win loads of games at start of season we've  just been pumped by the 4th best team in Luxembourg.

I go into the season with hope rather than expectation after the shambles on Tues

Celtic lost their first competitive game of last season against a part-time team from Gibraltar.  They then went on to win a treble.  So a poor result in Europe early on doesn't mean there's no hope for the rest of the domestic season.

We're a team that is in a transitional period.  Almost our entire squad is being flipped around.  While I agree we should've beaten the tem from Luxembourg we were unlucky in that we hit the bar 3 times and the game did perhaps come a bit early for us. 

Four weeks from now we'll have a few more players in and if we secure a quality forward or two those will make a significant difference to us.  I would also expect us to function better as a team as these guys will have a lot more play time together.  I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet.  We can still have a strong domestic season.

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Celtic lost their first competitive game of last season against a part-time team from Gibraltar.  They then went on to win a treble.  So a poor result in Europe early on doesn't mean there's no hope for the rest of the domestic season.

We're a team that is in a transitional period.  Almost our entire squad is being flipped around.  While I agree we should've beaten the tem from Luxembourg we were unlucky in that we hit the bar 3 times and the game did perhaps come a bit early for us. 

Four weeks from now we'll have a few more players in and if we secure a quality forward or two those will make a significant difference to us.  I would also expect us to function better as a team as these guys will have a lot more play time together.  I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet.  We can still have a strong domestic season.

They also managed to get through that tie despite the defeat. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Should Warburton have been able to finish what he started?

No, Warburton had a significant period of time in charge and his limitations as a manager were very clear when he finally did leave.  We seen, over time, that he was tactically predictable and although a smart guy was a stubborn cunt.  He also struggled to identify talent and we ended up with a squad of players who aren't good enough.

When Pedro took over from Warburton he was left holding a bag of shit in terms of the squad.  It's only now that he has the opportunity to do anything about that.  He's trying to force the old squad out and I can imagine they aren't happen, but fuck 'em.  Get the new guys and let's give them a chance to see what they can do.  Some of these new signings like Cardoso, Alves, and Jack look promising.  Morelos could be a real find for us once we start giving him proper service.  Let's give Pedro the chance to put a team together and have a fair crack at it. 

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I'm not a big fan of Caixinha but I'd still like to think we will be a completely different proposition once Alves, Dorrans, Pena, Herrera & potential Walker come into the side. If he can't improve with those players coming in then he won't last long.

That's just players on a park though, I've yet to see any evidence of tactics or a game plan from Pedro. What exactly was our game plan on Tue night?

1 minute ago, FSM said:

That's just players on a park though, I've yet to see any evidence of tactics or a game plan from Pedro. What exactly was our game plan on Tue night?

From what I've seen so far, and the players he has signed, it looks like he wants a team who are solid defensively (back four plus two deep centre midfielders) who rely on the wingers looking to get it into the box as quickly as possible for the big man and the number ten to attack. I'm not sure he's going to get that though because it's not worked so far.

5 minutes ago, FSM said:

This is exactly the same point I've been making.

Granted, I was smashed out there on Tuesday watching it but it looked like the players didn't have a fucking clue what to do.

Just now, DBBTB said:

From what I've seen so far, and the players he has signed, it looks like he wants a team who are solid defensively (back four plus two deep centre midfielders) who rely on the wingers looking to get it into the box as quickly as possible for the big man and the number ten to attack. I'm not sure he's going to get that though because it's not worked so far.

At least Warburton (at the beginning) had us adopt a slick pass and move game. Frustratingly over elaborate at times, especially around the box, but it was at least a style you could see he was aiming for. I looked at that team on Tue and couldn't see any evidence of anything resembling a plan or a style. A formation, yes, but not a plan of how he wanted us to play..

Tommy Wright or McInnes.

As I've said on here many times I genuinely think they'd make us a solid no-nonsense outfit first and foremost and grind out the results when needed. The football probably wouldn't always be easy on the eye but I'm confident the job would get done efficiently - a Walter Smith type approach.

They know the league inside out and are a safe, sensible option.

1 minute ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Well it's not....we went out, they won the tie.

It is beside the point.  Celtic had a hugely embarrassing result at the start of their season and came back from it.  We can too.

In any case, Europe was just a bonus for us.  The chances of us reaching the Europa group stages were always going to be unlikely.  Our season starts for real in 4 weeks and it's our league form that will make or break this manager. 

God only knows why the MD of the worlds most successful club was sold on a presentation given by Caixinha on the teams weaknesses. 

I find it extremely hard to believe a few ex EPL managers weren't wanting it, or other big continental names. 

For the money we've spunked on MW and Caixinha we could have had Redknapp etc. Tarriers got Rodgers for £2 mill. We've spunked 1.6 up the wall for the two clowns we've had but spent £7-8 mill. 

Just now, JukeBoxJohn said:

Tommy Wright or McInnes.

As I've said on here many times I genuinely think they'd make us a solid no-nonsense outfit first and foremost and grind out the results when needed. The football probably wouldn't always be easy on the eye but I'm confident the job would get done efficiently - a Walter Smith type approach.

They know the league inside out and are a safe, sensible option.

"a Walter Smith type approach" - You mean like getting in two quality CBs as a first point of business?  Hasn't Pedro already taken a Walter Smith type approach by strengthening our central defence and beefing up the centre of midfield?

Would McInnes have been more like Walter Smith with his recruitment?  Aberdeen have been dumped out of Europe early doors under McInnes too, and probably will be again.  No evidence of grinding out results there.

We should have the big Mexican up top from the start with Miller and Morrelas feeding off his knock downs, yes its boring and too direct but we only had to score first in order to go through after we score then you try the intricate threaded passes and drag backs. Could not believe it when I saw Niko trying that stuff with minutes of European football to go and Windass and his poor heading ability his dad would have buried they chances now never mind at his peak. Poor show all round and hindsight is all great but I don't see the manager getting his books just yet but I do hope he has taken on board that he is on very thin ice now

2 hours ago, Cobham said:

It's going to be Pedro so no point in wasting energy on thinking about a replacement. He'd need to lose 4 out of the first 6 games to be considered for the chop given the support the board have given him. 

If the display against the 4th best team from Luxembourg playing with their reserve goalie is anything to go by this will be true.

Just now, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

"a Walter Smith type approach" - You mean like getting in two quality CBs as a first point of business?  Hasn't Pedro already taken a Walter Smith type approach by strengthening our central defence and beefing up the centre of midfield?

Would McInnes have been more like Walter Smith with his recruitment?  Aberdeen have been dumped out of Europe early doors under McInnes too, and probably will be again.  No evidence of grinding out results there.

My point wasn't about recruitment and personnel. It was about getting positive performances and results on the pitch.

Pedro has changed fuck all in terms of performances and tactics since Warburton has left and unfortunately I fear it'll end the exact same way.

And before it's brought up again I couldn't give a flying fuck if it wasn't Pedros squad towards the end of last season - he had months to work with them and nothing changed tactically and some of the results were embarrassing due to his inability as a manager.

34 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

The team we played don't start there season until August the same as us so I don't know how you can see that the game came too early. We have a bunch of well paid professionals who have suppossedly been through a pre-season training designed to get them up to speed. Who knows what kind of pre-season progres did. Whilst I can't find anything online there last game before last week could have been in May.

Why are we going to another 1 or 2 forwards when he has already resigned Miller and 2 new guys whilst we still have about 3 others courtesy of MW.

Not that you mentioned it but why the hell yet again are we giving someone a 3 year deal. He was on a 12 month deal before and should have been offered a rolling 12 month one.