Govan Regeneration & Project 2020

Ace

At the recent meeting with Club1872 members & Stuart Robertson, Ibrox & the surrounding area was discussed and he commented that they are in discussion with GCC rgeards the regeneration of the area & how we can tie into the plans ensuring any future Ibrox re-development fits in with the wider plans, making it easier for planning approval etc.

We here is the GCC plans for the regeneration of Govan & what we can tie into.

FINAL plans to transform a historic shipbuilding site into housing and leisure facilities have now been revealed.

Developer New City Vision has submitted a planning application to build on Govan's Graving Docks, which have lain derelict for 40 years.

Following a public consultation, plans for the area now include up to 800 homes, a hotel, shops, restaurants and office space.

The proposal extends the Clyde Walkway at an area currently closed to the public and there will be heritage centre telling the story of the docks

Peter Richardson, Director of ZM Architecture, which is developing the masterplan for the multi-million pound investment, said: “It’s a real privilege to work on the development of one of the most historic and iconic sites on the River Clyde.

"The Graving Docks were once a thriving part of the Clydeside and our proposal builds on that heritage and will totally transform this into a great place to live, work and relax.

“We believe that our plans for the Graving Docks will not only play a key role in reinvigorating this part of Govan’s waterfront, they will be a catalyst for positive economic and social change through valuable long-term jobs and high quality and affordable housing.”

Developers could not give an exact figure for the number of homes to be built but the site is zoned for housing in the Glasgow City Development Plan for up to 800 homes.

At least 100 of the new properties will be affordable housing.

The Evening Times has previously told how Green Party members were against the development of the A-listed site with Patrick Harvie, the co-convener of the Scottish Green Party and a city MSP, lodging a motion against it at Parliament.

However, developers said they have taken community feedback into account in their final plans and made major changes to the original scheme.

The multi-million pound development will create jobs and training opportunities for up to 1500 people over a construction period of up to 10 years.

New City Vision said a significant proportion of construction jobs – and later in hospitality and retail - will go to local people.

Key features of the Category A Listed site include three large “graving docks” – dry docks for repairing and maintaining ships.

The design proposes building adjacent to these unique shipbuilding features.

It is proposed that two out of the three docks will remain filled with water, with areas for moored houseboats and other leisure uses.

The third will be maintained as a dry dock to allow people to safely experience the dock floor.

Historic capstans and lampposts will be restored and retained and original chain and protective barrier rails will be re-installed.

The Quays will also provide moorings, pontoons and access to the Clyde via a new slip.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15607812.700_home_plans_submitted_for_Govan_Graving_Docks_include_hotel_and_space_for_houseboats/

That sounds all very good and well. But still some distance from Ibrox.

However the roads infrastructure around the stadium, a pedestrianised zone outside the front of the stadium, other assets bringing footfall to the area (ie an Emirates across the road) are whats needed to improve the look and value of the immediate vicinity.

This isn't a dig.

It's about Govan (not Rangers ) benefitting whilst across the city a club directly benefited in so many ways from state aid via the CG.

Wouldn't be suprised if the whole of Glasgow and greater Glasgow was regenerated and the Ibrox area left to last unless all the work is done by Rangers or private business whilst labour or the SNP run the council. 

No effort was made to improve the area for the Commonwealth games despite how many visitors where expected for the Rugby.

Just hope Rangers get a hold of the land at Hinslewood Drive rather than the council or Ibrox will be completely hidden by housing.

I could be massively paranoid, but I just wonder about the fact they're building low density housing on the outskirts of the stadium. Like the best way of ensuring the least benefit to us... As I say, could be reading too much into it. 

Looks goid but will believe the graving docks project is going ahead when I see it. Been in the planning for about 15 years now. 

Sure I heard there's been rumours about us getting the land where the football pitches are now, for the purposes of some kind of Rangers square, and the pitches moving to where the high flats once were. That would be very welcome.

2 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

I could be massively paranoid, but I just wonder about the fact they're building low density housing on the outskirts of the stadium. Like the best way of ensuring the least benefit to us... As I say, could be reading too much into it. 

That's land that used to be the same density of housing before it was cleared in the 90s. It's owned by the housing so was always likely to become housing again.

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

However the roads infrastructure around the stadium, a pedestrianised zone outside the front of the stadium, other assets bringing footfall to the area (ie an Emirates across the road) are whats needed to improve the look and value of the immediate vicinity.

This isn't a dig.

It's about Govan (not Rangers ) benefitting whilst across the city a club directly benefited in so many ways from state aid via the CG.

100%!

Whilst the area around Ibrox will remain to look like a cross between the Gaza strip and the fucking moon!

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

This isn't a dig.

My thoughts exactly that’s nothing to do with Ibrox nowhere near 

What the fuck has this to do with the stadium and Rangers as we will see fuck all as we are nowhere near it 

How about the ask for the closure of edminston drive from traffic and it made into a walkway as we planned years ago before they paid for the anti commonwealth's  walkway ?

Club 1872 really need to grow a set and take these cunts head on demanding exactly the same benefits as the great unwashed.

How about they press the council to see how much they spent on the steps etc behind the celtic end ? The walkway and all the work done directly outside the stadium ? Then demand we get the same amount spent around our ground Ask what other east end communities benefitted as they only  spent from the town centre to celtic park.  What did they do in dennistoun? Shettleson, Easterhouse, garthamlock,Carmyle, Tollcross , balliestone ?  Absolutely hee haw yet that's the real east end not the gallowgat  to celtic park yet they also managed to find £7m for a tiny train station Dalmarnock  when  Bridgeton is the main station and a stone throw from the beggerdome, another thing just for celtic and their fans as they don't like getting off and on at Bridgeton for some reason 

Call it as you see it but why talk about somewhere nowhere near the ground?  

Always thought that if we ever got round to building our much talked about museum, at least part of it should be located Clyde-side adjacent to the transport museum (or similar attractions) to tap into the tourist / day excursion traffic and and also highlight the link between the club, its fans and the shipbuilding industry. Put on a free 5-10min minibus link to Ibrox to finish off with a stadium tour and you may get quite a lot of people, other than Rangers fans, visiting the museum / stadium and learning about the rich history of our club.  Ibrox is too remote on its own to attract passing visitors to any attraction (as the mob in the east end will find out with their museum plans).

Having had the misfortune to have to travel pass the Piggery on my way to work for the last 10years, I actually think it is a good thing to have the stadium surrounded by housing again as, to my eyes, it shows an integration with the community.  No matter how much they try to tart up the Piggery and it’s surrounding area, it still looks like a huge carbuncle in an industrial estate / wasteland.  The Emirates Arena across the road looks like a big warehouse and I’m sure their new hotel will be cheap and nasty to match their heritage.

5 hours ago, NornIronBear said:

Wouldn't be suprised if the whole of Glasgow and greater Glasgow was regenerated and the Ibrox area left to last unless all the work is done by Rangers or private business whilst labour or the SNP run the council. 

No effort was made to improve the area for the Commonwealth games despite how many visitors where expected for the Rugby.

Just hope Rangers get a hold of the land at Hinslewood Drive rather than the council or Ibrox will be completely hidden by housing.

Maybe they can buy some land off the council for a 1/10th of its worth and we could mortgage it to the coop bank for below base rate interest then use the cash to invest in the squad

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 22:30, magic8ball said:

Maybe they can buy some land off the council for a 1/10th of its worth and we could mortgage it to the coop bank for below base rate interest then use the cash to invest in the squad

I see what you did there 

5ftwrKv.gif