Best midfield Rangers have ever had?

BlueBearz1990

3 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Barry was brilliant and I've mentioned him in my UEFA cup midfield above but I completely understand @Jack The Flipper when he criticises Barry's moaning at players. He held himself in such high standards that he expected it from everyone. Some players respond and some don't. I'm surprised Alan Hutton made it as a player at all due to his treatment from Barry. I remember in Hutton's early games Barry would Kenny Miller himself into right back and take the ball off Hutton several times per game.

Brilliant player but questionable whether his style of encouragement was a positive influence on younger players.

Hutton took far worse from the stands in the early days. Pretty sure he could deal with one guy gurning at him. 

See if anyone else couldny deal with their captain shouting at them, Ibrox isn't the pitch for such a soft character. I don't actually agree that that's the case though, because I think most footballers are capable if dealing with a team mate giving them grief. 

I'd kill for a winner like Barry greetin at people from midfield just now. His attitude and demands were massively beneficial to us.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

My memories of Hemdani are of a player who was very tidy on the ball and very rarely gave it away. He didn't do much going forward, granted, but we would never have made the UEFA cup final if we didn't have him in the team.

Hemdani was class and would stroll in to our midfield right now. You both are underestimating him IMO. 

What are you basing we’d have never made the UEFA cup final without him on? 

13 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

My memories of Hemdani are of a player who was very tidy on the ball and very rarely gave it away. He didn't do much going forward, granted, but we would never have made the UEFA cup final if we didn't have him in the team.

Hemdani was class and would stroll in to our midfield right now. You both are underestimating him IMO. 

He was very, very ordinary to my eyes. Rarely gave it away is as much as I could say about him. Had nothing else much in his locker. 

He was a bombscare briefly, but that wasn't his fault, that was thanks to PLG.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Hutton took far worse from the stands in the early days. Pretty sure he could deal with one guy gurning at him. 

See if anyone else couldny deal with their captain shouting at them, Ibrox isn't the pitch for such a soft character. I don't actually agree that that's the case though, because I think most footballers are capable if dealing with a team mate giving them grief. 

I'd kill for a winner like Barry greetin at people from midfield just now. His attitude and demands were massively beneficial to us.

I agree that I love to have a Barry in the team right now. A born winner.

The first statement though. Barry didn't just gurn. He ran over to the RB position to take the ball off of him, something we in the stands can't do so I don't agree he got worse from the stands.

That said Barry had far more positives than negatives  Came through our own academy so we will see the likes again.

3 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

I agree that I love to have a Barry in the team right now. A born winner.

The first statement though. Barry didn't just gurn. He ran over to the RB position to take the ball off of him, something we in the stands can't do so I don't agree he got worse from the stands.

That said Barry had far more positives than negatives  Came through our own academy so we will see the likes again.

His job was to come deep and take the ball and get things going. And I'm glad he did. And I don't think that affected Hutton in the slightest. Don't see why it would. It wasn't any kind of abuse of power, it was how we played.

28 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Barry was a brilliant midfielder for us. This sideways passing thing is nonsense. 

He always showed for the ball , even when he had a man closing him down, and he always passed to a blue jersey. Most importantly he excelled in europe and matched the best at a very young age

3 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

He always showed for the ball , even when he had a man closing him down, and he always passed to a blue jersey. Most importantly he excelled in europe and matched the best at a very young age

Yup. Showed for it, even demanded it, rather than bully people for it. He did what he should have been doing and what the team would want from him.

Barry Ferguson might be a bit of a clown these days with his ridiculous opinions in the media but anyone that says he was shite or boring know literally zero about football - from 1998 to 2003 he was a complete midfielder could pass, split defences, tackle, run with the ball and score.

when he came back in 2005 he was a different player though not a bad player but a different player but still a leader and a winner most of all.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What are you basing we’d have never made the UEFA cup final without him on? 

Honestly feel he was instrumental in our European run. Walter did too by the fact that Hemdani was a mainstay in Europe but didn't play as much domestically.

I appreciate that a lot of fans aren't overly-enthusiastic in their memories of Hemdani since he wasn't a player who would get you on the edge of your seat bursting past players or playing that killer pass which would unlock a defence or score a goal. I get that. He was a tidy, tidy reliable player who very rarely gave the ball away.

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

His job was to come deep and take the ball and get things going. And I'm glad he did. And I don't think that affected Hutton in the slightest. Don't see why it would. It wasn't any kind of abuse of power, it was how we played.

My memories are different mate. There's a difference between dropping deep to receive the ball and physically taking the ball off your own team mate. As I've said Barry was a cracking player and we would be doing well to have another Barry in the team right now but he did have his negative points. I'm not sure why you're not acknowledging them.

20 minutes ago, Inigo said:

He was very, very ordinary to my eyes. Rarely gave it away is as much as I could say about him. Had nothing else much in his locker. 

He was a bombscare briefly, but that wasn't his fault, that was thanks to PLG.

For younger bears looking in I agree he was not a centre-half.

As a side note fuck knows why PLG thought it was better to play a centre-midfield at CB when a natural CB (although maybe not the best) in Julien Rodriguez was sitting on the bench.

I'm away to google the career of Carl Svensson. I wonder how that went. Good on the deck but the worst header of the ball I've ever seen for a centre back at Ibrox ever.

11 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

My memories are different mate. There's a difference between dropping deep to receive the ball and physically taking the ball off your own team mate. As I've said Barry was a cracking player and we would be doing well to have another Barry in the team right now but he did have his negative points. I'm not sure why you're not acknowledging them.

I'm not acknowledging it because it wasn't one.

Barry controlled games, and occasionally doing that was part of controlling games. Because it was only occasionally. It's all part of him taking the game By the scruff of the neck. I think you're taking offence on behalf of Hutton, because he clearly didn't have any issue with this. Neither did anyone else in the team. Think you're maybe seeing something negative in it that wasn't there tbh, squire.

He had very few weaknesses. By our standards, as already said, he was pretty complete.

4 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

For younger bears looking in I agree he was not a centre-half.

As a side note fuck knows why PLG thought it was better to play a centre-midfield at CB when a natural CB (although maybe not the best) in Julien Rodriguez was sitting on the bench.

I'm away to google the career of Carl Svensson. I wonder how that went. Good on the deck but the worst header of the ball I've ever seen for a centre back at Ibrox ever.

Svennson and Hemdani at centre half together was possibly the worst nanagerial call I've seen.

Le Guen flew on the coat tails of an already successful Lyon dynasty. Proved to be pretty limited as a manager.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I'm not acknowledging it because it wasn't one.

Barry controlled games, and occasionally doing that was part of controlling games. Because it was only occasionally. It's all part of him taking the game By the scruff of the neck. I think you're taking offence on behalf of Hutton, because he clearly didn't have any issue with this. Neither did anyone else in the team. Think you're maybe seeing something negative in it that wasn't there tbh.

He had very few weaknesses. By our standards, as already said, he was pretty complete.

Different memories mate and it was an issue. I've already said he was a born winner and I would welcome the likes in to our team but sometimes he did have a negative impact on other players.

1 hour ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Anyone who says Barry Ferguson needs an education :duh:

Very good player for us, but obviously not the best, his sideways passing and constant moaning was annoying. 

Has to be Gazza/Souness for me

Best Scottish player this country has seen for the last 15-20 years. 

Prove me wrong. 

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Best Scottish player this country has seen for the last 15-20 years. 

Prove me wrong. 

There are genuinely people who walk this earth that believe Scott Brown is better :lol: 

No Scottish person, or even Rangers players in the last 15 years come close

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

There are genuinely people who walk this earth that believe Scott Brown is better :lol: 

No Scottish person, or even Rangers players in the last 15 years come close

Wouldn't see that mongo bastard schooling Bayern Munich home and away in a month of Sundays. 

6 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Barry was brilliant and I've mentioned him in my UEFA cup midfield above but I completely understand @Jack The Flipper when he criticises Barry's moaning at players. He held himself in such high standards that he expected it from everyone. Some players respond and some don't. I'm surprised Alan Hutton made it as a player at all due to his treatment from Barry. I remember in Hutton's early games Barry would Kenny Miller himself into right back and take the ball off Hutton several times per game.

Brilliant player but questionable whether his style of encouragement was a positive influence on younger players.

For Hutton read Namoichi, Adam, Burke etc etc 

thats why I’ve never been keen for Barry to return as a coach 

to answer the OP - the best I’ve seen would be a combo of Ferguson, Van Bronkhorst, Tugay, Reyna, Albertz 

Greig, Baxter, McMillan??

Russell, McDonald, Cooper?? 

Souness, Durranty, Ferguson??  

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

Glad we have you here to educate us in that case.

A good place to start might be regaling us with your memories of the Gazza-Souness midfield partnership. :pipe:

:lol: what a crazy partnership that would have been, but i was simply naming a couple of midfielders that I, and would hope most held in higher regard than ferguson.