Why we need to find more goals.

backup

2 minutes ago, Cobham said:

The report doesn’t actually say we lack goals though does it?

It says that trends would suggest that Windass and Morelos won’t have as good a goals to shot ratio next season and we may need to find a way to help replace these high percentages in the summer as they tend to drop off in the following season. 

As the OP header title says, seems pretty clear to me.

Goals haven't been an issue for us this season. We have showing we can score vs any team in the league.

It's our defense that's the key issue.  We are currently the highest scoring team in the league. The problem is of the top 6 teams we have conceded the most goals.

In the summer our priority needs to be fixing this defense by getting quality at CB and IMO a new 1st choice GK

1 hour ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Scoring goals hasn't been the problem though, conceding them has and that's a fact!!!

Morelos offers us more than goals, his all round play creates chances for others and is part of the reason our goals are spread. 

Of course it has, we've lost 3 games at ibrox without scoring, drew with hearts due to not scoring, theres 11 pointd right there, all because we didnt score

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Of course it has, we've lost 3 games at ibrox without scoring, drew with hearts due to not scoring, theres 11 pointd right there, all because we didnt score

We had a perfectly good goal ruled out that day sadly 

2 hours ago, backup said:

As I said and I think the report is alluding to , missed chances have cost us dear, we need a proven goalscorer not water carriers. 

Who's the water carrier? For someone who's not a proven goal scorer and to get 17 goals in his 1st season is doing pretty well imo.  As I said his overall play is invaluable to us regardless of how frustrating he can be.  Goals conceded is more of an issue than missed chances, every striker in the world misses chances and if he didn't he wouldn't be playing in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

If we hadn't conceded in these games then we'd of drawn 4 at ibrox. I stand by defending is more of an issue than scoring goals.

2 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Do you think conceding 19 goals at ibrox is acceptable? 

Obviously not, but thats not the point, we dominate at ibrox yet fail to score often, with all our talent and at ibrox we have failed to score in 4 games costing us 11 points overall, 

13 hours ago, backup said:

Very interesting read regards lack of goals, many will dismiss as lies,damned lies and statistics, the report however is invariably extremely accurate.

https://therangersreport.com/2018/04/04/shooting-percentages-regression-why-Rangers-will-need-to-find-more-goals-this-summer/

So from that off the top of my head kris boyd and Dean windass aren't even on the 1st chart but they have actually broke the mould by getting better. Whose to say that morelos isn't having his blip now and he'll improve massively next season.  The main statistic is we've been shit at home.

13 hours ago, DBBTB said:

We are the highest scorers in the division but have conceded more goals than celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and the same number as Kilmarnock. Scoring goals isn’t our problem. It’s keeping them out where we fall down.

I think that usually points to a weak defence mate. We need to sort it or it will be more of the same 

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Obviously not, but thats not the point, we dominate at ibrox yet fail to score often, with all our talent and at ibrox we have failed to score in 4 games costing us 11 points overall, 

We've lost 7 and drawn 2, 4 games we've failed to score in and 5 that we have but conceded more. Now we all have different opinions on why that is, you think it's due to us not scoring enough I personally think it's due to our terrible defending. 

The reason Walter was a success is because he ensured we had one of if not the best keeper in the country and a strong defence of decent built players.

We lost that a long time ago and any new manager would do well to build out from the back again

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

The reason Walter was a success is because he ensured we had one of if not the best keeper in the country and a strong defence of decent built players.

We lost that a long time ago and any new manager would do well to build out from the back again

That's it in a nutshell. Smith knew he had to have a solid defense to build the rest of the squad onto.

This has to be the main priority in the summer. I would go for 2 x CB and a new GK.

While our defense deserves criticism Wes has leaked goals as well. He's a good shot stopper. But his positioning and control of his box is terrible. He's also suspect from long range.

16 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

We need more goals cause the defence is pish. If we start keeping clean sheets regularly we'll only need one goal a game (sometimes 2) and we'll start winning trophies again.

Bang On! Stop conceding shite goals and we're ok. Unfortunately we don’t have a fucking proper goalie or defence! 

We replace Miller Hardie and hopefully Herrera and we'll score more goals.

We get a good robust defensive midfielder and hopefully we'll protect the defence.

We get our midfielders fit and available and we'll hopefully control midfield more.

Move on Alves Cardoso Martin and for me Bates and recruit at least 2 much improved CHs and we'll concede less goals.

Simple.

57 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We replace Miller Hardie and hopefully Herrera and we'll score more goals.

We get a good robust defensive midfielder and hopefully we'll protect the defence.

We get our midfielders fit and available and we'll hopefully control midfield more.

Move on Alves Cardoso Martin and for me Bates and recruit at least 2 much improved CHs and we'll concede less goals.

Simple.

Hardie? He’s no even getting a game. He’s at Livingston on loan. Scoring there for fun though. Kid hasn’t had a fuckin chance yet. 

1 hour ago, Hadron Collider said:

Bang On! Stop conceding shite goals and we're ok. Unfortunately we don’t have a fucking proper goalie or defence! 

That is where I would invest in the summer along with a manager who can utilise them properly. Defences win Championships!!