Question ? Light blues?

8 hours ago, Brubear said:

Not aware of the blue having changed significantly over the years. Term light blues was basically a contra to the dark blues used to describe the national team

Common misconception. I think the term 'light' blues was in reference to our players being light/small. Nothing to do with colour. 

15 minutes ago, Nameless Ghoul said:

Was it not confirmed genuine in 2009? 

Also it's because we were referred to as the light and speedy blues then it got shortened to light blues. Wasn't a reference to the shirt colour. 

👍

Correct on both points mate .... Her Majesty does have a picture of Her team in one of her palaces (not sure what one) .... and you're dead to rights on the reason we were called The Light Blues.

:UK:

18 minutes ago, Nameless Ghoul said:

Was it not confirmed genuine in 2009? 

Also it's because we were referred to as the light and speedy blues then it got shortened to light blues. Wasn't a reference to the shirt colour. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

Correct on both points mate .... Her Majesty does have a picture of Her team in one of her palaces (not sure what one) .... and you're dead to rights on the reason we were called The Light Blues.

No way?

17 hours ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

No way?

I believe Her Royal Highness has a portrait of a Rangers team in Buckingham Palace (confirmed by Blumhoilann above) ..... not actually above her mantlepiece .... but in a room in the palace along with other gifts she has received from different sources over the years.

Not sure .... but was this not covered in our Rangers related picture thread? .... if not .... then it was covered in some thread on here mate ..... something about it being presented to her when she was a guest at Ibrox.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

I believe Her Royal Highness has a portrait of a Rangers team in Buckingham Palace (confirmed by Blumhoilann above) ..... not actually above her mantlepiece .... but in a room in the palace along with other gifts she has received from different sources over the years.

Not sure .... but was this not covered in your Rangers related picture thread? .... if not .... then it was covered in some thread on here mate ..... something about it being presented to her when she was a guest at Ibrox.

You've made my night mate 👍🇬🇧

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

Broken clock is correct twice a day i suppose 😂

I found this article on it.

It has always been debated as to why Rangers were called the “Light Blues” In a club history which appeared in the SFA annual of 1894 ‘Obo’ claimed Rangers had been known as the light blues for the 22 years of their existence as a result of the colour of their shirts... Rangers were always listed as blue and after 1879 royal blue (in SFA records). Some have argued that Rangers were given the nickname light blues not because of the colour of the shirt but because of the dash of performers. At around the time of the 1877 Scottish Cup Final, The Glasgow News called the team the “Light and Speedy Rangers”. It would be easy to see why the name light blues could come from. Gary Ralston author of Rangers-The Gallant Pioneers writes that Rangers may have been given the nickname because during the 1877 Scottish Cup final Vale of Levenwore Dark Blue almost Black shirts and Rangers the more traditional blue. He writes that the moniker light blue should be considered in the context of the tradition of Oxford and Cambridge Universities. Vale being similar to Oxford and Rangers in a hue of kit not as powerful resembled the Light Blues of Cambridge. Of course, we will never know for sure but I go with the Oxford Cambridge link myself. Also worth mentioning is that Rangers were probably kitted out by the company H & P McNeil “Hatters, Hosiers, Clothiers and Shirt Makers” this was a Glasgow company who were owned by brothers Peter (Rangers) and Harry (Rangers/Queens Park).

On 03/05/2019 at 12:42, bordersbear said:

Seems to me that sometime in the passing we have gone from wearing Royal blue to light blue. Is it because it is seen to be wrong to be a supporter of the royals in this cesspit country or am I paranoid? Seems every little part of our tradition is being chipped away.

The founding fathers wore light blue tops which progressed to Royal Blue. 

On 03/05/2019 at 21:50, Bobby Hume said:

Not sure .... but was this not covered in our Rangers related picture thread? .... if not .... then it was covered in some thread on here mate ..... something about it being presented to her when she was a guest at Ibrox.

Rangers Historian, David Mason made mention of it. Think it's in his book also or its in a book. I know I read about it in a Rangers book.