Presuming we go 4-3-3 as our first choice formation

djwyc14

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Add Herrera, Alnwick, Middleton and Barjonas as well.

That's 16 players ffs. 

Should all leave it means we currently have a squad of 18. Kent, Ojo, Aribo and Edmundson still leaves spaces for the 3/4 quality players required.

Add Dodoo as well

47 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Sadly, I agree with most of that

sorry to see the back of Rossiter, Doch and Murphy. I think the three of them just had shit luck and could have been very strong players for us if circumstances had been different. But no place for sentiment in our pursuit of 55

my point still remains that getting that list of players of our wage bill is going to be a hard job 

I think people are being very quick on who leaves this summer. I fully expect Murphy, Dorrans, McCrorie & Rossiter to be part of the squad. The rest of  DBBTB's cuts I agree with. Wouldn't be surprised if Rudden hangs around as a 4th choice CF.

28 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I think people are being very quick on who leaves this summer. I fully expect Murphy, Dorrans, McCrorie & Rossiter to be part of the squad. The rest of  DBBTB's cuts I agree with. Wouldn't be surprised if Rudden hangs around as a 4th choice CF.

I just don’t see what role Dorrans, Rossiter or McCrorie would play if they stayed. They will be behind Jack, Arfield, Davis, Kamara & Aribo in the pecking order, plus we have Halliday who maybe isn’t the best player, but Gerrard clearly likes him being around the changing room.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I just don’t see what role Dorrans, Rossiter or McCrorie would play if they stayed. They will be behind Jack, Arfield, Davis, Kamara & Aribo in the pecking order, plus we have Halliday who maybe isn’t the best player, but Gerrard clearly likes him being around the changing room.

Time will tell mate...... soon.

I think we’ll be going...

Morelos

Kent Arfield

Aribo Kamara

Davis

Barasic Katic Goldson Tav

McGregor

With Ojo in for Kent if he doesn’t sign. 

Strong(ish) bench and squad options too

Fod, Flanagan, Halliday, McCrorie, Jack, Jones, Ojo, Murphy, Stewart, Defoe

Feel we’re well short of CB and CF options, and we really still need a top quality no. 10. 

We have so many options on the wings and midfield now... one more CB in and we are sorted.  I hope SG doesn't drop Katic for whoever we sign as CB as him and Goldson were immense at the start and end of last season.  I'd hope for something like

McGregor,
Tav, Katic, Goldson, Barisic
Davis DM
Kamara and Arfield CM
one of Stewart / Hastie / Ojo / Murphy - whoever shows up best in training, Morelos, Kent 

McCrorie is an interesting one, can see him being frustrated this season.  Would be surprised if Jack plays much either even though he seems a SG favourite.  Just don't see how he is going to get ahead of the other CM's.  

Then we could be surprised and play 4-4-2 with Defoe / Morelos up top, Kamara and Jack/Aribo in the middle with Arfield advanced and Davis holding.... but then we have about a million wingers who can't play.  Genuinely no idea what to expect but would hope to see something similar to the end of last season given we were winning every game in the split until we messed around with it on the last day.  Rossiter has had it imo and Docherty has a mountain to climb.

Reading this thread you would think that half of you had never watched us in the last 2-3 months of the season!!

Arfield is not and has never been played as a winger, the manager confirmed this...

The guy who made our midfield tick in those last few weeks was Davis...as the deep lying defensive midfielder...

15 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

I think we’ll be going...

Morelos

Kent Arfield

Aribo Kamara

Davis

Barasic Katic Goldson Tav

McGregor

With Ojo in for Kent if he doesn’t sign. 

Strong(ish) bench and squad options too

Fod, Flanagan, Halliday, McCrorie, Jack, Jones, Ojo, Murphy, Stewart, Defoe

Feel we’re well short of CB and CF options, and we really still need a top quality no. 10. 

I agree with most of that but weve signed too many out and out wide players for me to think that we will be so narrow.

As you said, Ojo in for Kent but we have Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Candeais, Muprhy who all play in those wide areas and Kent could be added to that as well.

Will be interesting to see who plays where.

One thing we aren’t going to lack is options for different systems and tactical approaches.

We’ve got Davis who’s great at dictating the tempo of a game from deep and Jack who’s better at plugging gaps and breaking up play.

We will hopefully have Aribo who dribbles more than anybody we have at the moment and always looks to get forward.

We’ve got Ojo who should give us a bit more flair and creativity on the right but we’ve also got Candeias who lacks quality but is guaranteed to put a shift in and we also have Arfield who can “start” on the right in a bit play in a sort of free role.

Then we will hopefully have Kent who is all flicks and tricks with lots of cutting inside and Jones who is a more old fashioned type of winger.

And then we’ve got Morelos and Defoe who can both lead the line in different ways and Stewart as an option to come on and play off of one of them if need be.

There can be no excuses for us running out of ideas and playing one way all the time because the variety is clear to see.

I'd like to see Kent play narrower, he may get more goals that way too. Also think Murphy is a bit wasted out wide, probably more so coming back from injury. We should go 4-2-3-1 with a narrow 3 behind the striker:

MacGregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic Barasic

Kamara Davis

Arfield Aribo Kent

Morelos

This makes the assumption we get Kent and Aribo, which apparently looks likely now. If we miss one, or for certain types of game, we could go 4-1-3-2, push Kamara further forward and have Defoe on up front.

Second 11 (couple of assumptions here too)

McCrorie

Polster Edmundson Bauer Flanagan

Jack McCrorie

Ojo Docherty Jones

Defoe

Then you still have the likes of Halliday, Murphy, Rossiter, Dorrans to fill the gaps. That's 2 teams capable of beating anyone in the league - 55 it is, just need to get those CBs over the line and add another decent striker for cover up top.

24 minutes ago, Klos' Glove said:

I'd like to see Kent play narrower, he may get more goals that way too. Also think Murphy is a bit wasted out wide, probably more so coming back from injury. We should go 4-2-3-1 with a narrow 3 behind the striker:

MacGregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic Barasic

Kamara Davis

Arfield Aribo Kent

Morelos

This makes the assumption we get Kent and Aribo, which apparently looks likely now. If we miss one, or for certain types of game, we could go 4-1-3-2, push Kamara further forward and have Defoe on up front.

Second 11 (couple of assumptions here too)

McCrorie

Polster Edmundson Bauer Flanagan

Jack McCrorie

Ojo Docherty Jones

Defoe

Then you still have the likes of Halliday, Murphy, Rossiter, Dorrans to fill the gaps. That's 2 teams capable of beating anyone in the league - 55 it is, just need to get those CBs over the line and add another decent striker for cover up top.

That second team would be dreadful