Our Youth System

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

I’d say he’s got far more talent than even Ferguson.

I honestly think Gilmour can be one of the best players in the world in a few years up there with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Gerrard, Scholes etc...

Lampard now on singing his praises. Says he is a throwback to his days as a player. Got it all. Composure, a cool head when Liverpool were at them. Pick a pass. Dig a ball out. A big personality and so on.

This lad is going all the way. 

8 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Billy Gilmour is a once in a generation Barry Ferguson level player, and we'll possibly never bring another through like that for decades and beyond as if they're that good the lure of the big EPL or European teams will be understandably too strong for them.

What a performance that was from him btw.

Seen him at 9 year old and said he’d be the best since Barry Ferguson..

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

Lampard now on singing his praises. Says he is a throwback to his days as a player. Got it all. Composure, a cool head when Liverpool were at them. Pick a pass. Dig a ball out. A big personality and so on.

This lad is going all the way. 

Let’s hope Leon King turns out to be as good as the hype aswell! 

We could really do with a world class CB for free 😂

@SwallowsHisOwnSpunk He's unbelievable mate and I certainly wouldn't argue strongly against the idea of him having more talent than Barry. I wouldn't be keen on playing down how good Barry was at 20/21 though either with potential that he definitely didn't completely fulfil.

2 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Spot on , been to numerous games at the training centre and as you say there's nobody that stands out or is better than what we have, it's always been the same 

Absolutely nothing coming through mate eh , the lower ages you go the worse they are , run of the mill boys club teams would take goals off our 13s and 14 teams 

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

@SwallowsHisOwnSpunk He's unbelievable mate and I certainly wouldn't argue strongly against the idea of him having more talent than Barry. I wouldn't be keen on playing down how good Barry was at 20/21 though either with potential that he definitely didn't completely fulfil.

I do think Barry had more talent than his career showed.

Moving to Blackburn was a terrible choice and his knee injury ruined his chances, he should have stayed and if he had continued in the same form I’m certain Sir Alex Ferguson would have eventually made a move for him, which would have been the perfect club for Barry.

I watched the whole game and Billy Gilmore bossed it. The kid is all over Twitter.

At least Leon King is now ours.

On a negative note, Barjanos & Rudden taken off at Partick. (I know Rudden is no longer with us)

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So to get this right Gerrard has to, against the odds, win the league in 2 years or gtf. He should be doing it whilst blooding youths. That cover it?

Hes been here all of 18 months, we're winning  international trophies at 17s, our youths are regularly competing and competing well with some of the best youths in Europe. There is progress there it seems.

Again it seems to me that folk want it all, trophies and youth progression into 1st team simultaneously which is surely unrealistic. 

I genuinely believe some of our surplus non contributors such as Halliday, Flanagan will be replaced by our youths in the summer, its then up to them to force their way in. 

Just seems another issue to moan about and berate the club / Gerrard, but that's exactly what some revel in these days.

Its just frustrating though when you have first team players on the park not giving a single fuck and thinking about what colour of laminate they want in their spare room.
Then you have young boys who are hungry and would give you 100% How can they gain experience if they are not been giving the chance that's the problem.

You are bang on the money about our youth but fans have every right to bring it up and have a moan its our Youth Academy and we want to see some of the boys been giving more of a run out.
Their has been instances this season before December where we have been winning comfortable and have brought on dross. When infact it could have been a youngster to give him a feel of first team action.

3 hours ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Says it all when you are struggling to name two or thee clubs.  Even then, Man Utd hardly have a regular and consistent line of youth coming into to their first team. 

On the whole they provide little return for clubs expected to win trophies. We are the classic example.

Man Utd have had a homegrown player in every match day squad for 80+ years at this point.

I wasn’t struggling to name teams, I just picked what I believe to be the three biggest examples of clubs who demand success but still regularly bring through youth players and two of the three I named happen to be among the five biggest clubs in the world. You could also throw Lyon and Sporting Lisbon in there as big clubs in their domestic leagues who bring through a decent number of young players.

Even the filth have managed to bring through Forrest, Tierney and McGregor in recent times. Three homegrown players who were/are big players for them and two players who would (and in one case did) bring in big transfer fees for them.

Expecting a stream of players every year is unrealistic, but it’s an area we have to get better in especially when we are unlikely to get Champions League money for a long time and we are never going to get TV revenue comparable with anybody in the big leagues.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Clubs like Man Utd, Ajax and Barcelona prove that theory wrong a bit do they not?

Who were the last successful youth players to break into a successful Man united team whilst the team remaining highly successful?

25 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Who were the last successful youth players to break into a successful Man united team whilst the team remaining highly successful?

Man Utd have won three trophies (and a community shield but nobody really counts that) since Rashford broke through and played his first full season in 15-16 (he broke through at the tail end of 14-15 IIRC)

It’s maybe not “highly successful” at the current Man City level, or at the level that people traditionally expect Man Utd to be,  but it’s still as many trophies as Chelsea have won in that timeframe and more than Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool have won.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Man Utd have won three trophies (and a community shield but nobody really counts that) since Rashford broke through and played his first full season in 15-16 (he broke through at the tail end of 14-15 IIRC)

It’s maybe not “highly successful” at the current Man City level, or at the level that people traditionally expect Man Utd to be,  but it’s still as many trophies as Chelsea have won in that timeframe and more than Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool have won.

Broke in in 2016, won the Europa the season after a think

As much as id love to see someone come through our youth like another Ferguson etc, comparing our youth priorities to any other country, especially counties much better at football than us, is pointless

Scotland is a backwater, 3rd world, shitehole of a footballing country that still has the belief that caber tossing hammer throwers that launch 60 yard long balls is how the game is played

Giving our youth game time isnt anywhere near comparable to youth getting game time at chelsea, man united, ajax, barca etc

Are people actually believing that guys like kennedy, mebude etc would have handled it against hearts last week, or at rugby park where kicking opponents more than the ball gets you sponsors man of the match

Our youth might well be good enough, but none are physical enough, not now, not while our team is in turmoil 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I just feel Man utd still live off the achievements from the class of 96 youths....the majority that have broken through in the last 15/20yrs have been pretty average (Rashford aside) whilst the team has got poorer and vast sums of money have been squandered in more recent times

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

I watched the whole game and Billy Gilmore bossed it. The kid is all over Twitter.

At least Leon King is now ours.

On a negative note, Barjanos & Rudden taken off at Partick. (I know Rudden is no longer with us)

Rudden is really poor. A typical Scottish plodder. A career in the Scottish Championship is probably the best he can hope for. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

As much as id love to see someone come through our youth like another Ferguson etc, comparing our youth priorities to any other country, especially counties much better at football than us, is pointless

Scotland is a backwater, 3rd world, shitehole of a footballing country that still has the belief that caber tossing hammer throwers that launch 60 yard long balls is how the game is played

Giving our youth game time isnt anywhere near comparable to youth getting game time at chelsea, man united, ajax, barca etc

Are people actually believing that guys like kennedy, mebude etc would have handled it against hearts last week, or at rugby park where kicking opponents more than the ball gets you sponsors man of the match

Our youth might well be good enough, but none are physical enough, not now, not while our team is in turmoil 

As mentioned, our youth set up has been pretty pointless for the last 20 or 30 years. I'd say that if we get one or maybe two break through to become genuine regular first team players at any point in the next ten years it will be quite incredible. 

And, like Gilmour, if they are that good they will be out of here anyway. 

22 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

As mentioned, our youth set up has been pretty pointless for the last 20 or 30 years. I'd say that if we get one or maybe two break through to become genuine regular first team players at any point in the next ten years it will be quite incredible. 

And, like Gilmour, if they are that good they will be out of here anyway. 

Its not pointless if we used it at the right time, mccoist for example should have literally been ordered to bleed two or three for the third and second division, even gerrard could do it differently, 

7 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not pointless if we used it at the right time, mccoist for example should have literally been ordered to bleed two or three for the third and second division, even gerrard could do it differently, 

IMO it is pointless and has been a waste of time for years. And unless anyone can give me a reason why that will change, then it will continue to give us nothing in return. 

And as I said, on the rare occasion we unearth a gem he will be snapped up by teams in better leagues. That's just the way it is. 

I have no faith in it at all. 

Archived