Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

6 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

74 league games. Of those he started 57 games and scored 44 goals. That's not mentioning assists. Saying that is not very good is the baffling part.

The amount of games started being low is a lot of his own fault due to disciplinary issues,

Scottish League

Games        Goals

31                  23

35                  27

28                  14

27                  19

15                  13

--------------------

136             96

That's for Kris Boyd who could operate alone or as part of a two pronged strike force, had a better disciplinary record... and could actually score against the scum.

I'd take Kris Boyd over Alfredo in the league any day.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, siamthedanger said:

If we can't find a replacement for Morelos who can score the same or more goals in the league then we have serious problems. 

Exactly, it's almost as if Morelos has been attacked by other outside forces so much, our fans have rallied behind him to such an extent they cannot actually be critical of him or judge him fairly.

He's average in the scottish league and has disciplinary issues, and he has his heart set on a move away from us.

He's amazing in europe, probably because he is playing to get a move away from us.

It might be close to the bone, but imo that's the reality of the situation. 

10 minutes ago, Swally said:

The amount of games started being low is a lot of his own fault due to disciplinary issues,

Scottish League

Games        Goals

31                  23

35                  27

28                  14

27                  19

15                  13

--------------------

136             96

That's for Kris Boyd who could operate alone or as part of a two pronged strike force, had a better disciplinary record... and could actually score against the scum.

He scored one goal in 5 years against them, so good that.

Just now, Swally said:

Are you saying my statement "and could actually score against the scum." is wrong?

No, I’m saying his goal record against them is also pish. He was just lucky enough to have better teams around him and able to win stuff or it would be used against him a lot more

12 minutes ago, Swally said:

Scottish League

Games        Goals

31                  23

35                  27

28                  14

27                  19

15                  13

--------------------

136             96

This one isn't as baffling as it is laughable.

So you are comparing with a player who has the overall all time best scoring record in the SPL to make a point, albeit from around a decade ago. 🤣

If you would take Kris Boyd (who scored goals in better teams with much better service) over Morelos, who you seem to be discounting the work he does off the ball, then you are silly to be polite.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

So you are comparing with a player who has the overall all time best scoring record in the SPL to make a point, albeit from around a decade ago. 🤣

If you would take Kris Boyd (who scored goals in better teams with much better service) over Morelos, who you seem to be discounting the work he does off the ball, then you are silly to be polite.

In fairness they are totally different types of player. Boyd would never put in the shift that Alfie does. Boyd was a class finisher bit like Ally.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

My point is simply, alfredo's league goals are extremely replaceable - this is the only real point I am making.

Since we are concentrating on the league because we don't want the taigs to win 10, tainted or not, then if we sold Morelos and were able to strengthen multiple areas of the pitch this has to be a positive thing and frankly a no-brainer.

Morelos's main problem is that he can only work alone, if he was able to bring others into play AND we were able to get a huge amount of goals elsewhere then fair enough.

For example, Miller was a big match player, he scored quite a few goals against celtic. If he was the only striker with no goals coming from elsewhere he'd be very replaceable because his striking record against the shite in the league wasn't that great. Boyd was able to do it against the shite in the Scottish league, him with Miller for example give us something we do not have and cannot get with Morelos playing up front himself.

With two up front you also have a little bit of stability if one is ineligible to play for whatever reason, another attacker can come on and it is not a whole knew attack force and perhaps different system to play - and we all know how difficult the team finds jumping from a long used system to another. 

6 minutes ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

In fairness they are totally different types of player. Boyd would never put in the shift that Alfie does. Boyd was a class finisher bit like Ally.

Of course, but my point being if Alfredo leaves - his goals in the league are utterly replaceable, and quite easily bettered - especially with a striking partnership. 

Fuck me man, Charlie Adam is trying again to come back to us. He was on the radio a month back I think saying he was out of contract and that we were interested in him but the deal fell through.  I'm sure he made the point that he's out of contract a few times on the show.

Although he's not explicitly, this time, saying he wants to come back. He's coming out with how big a club we are and how we need experience players etc.

Naw charlie adamses 

6 minutes ago, Swally said:

Of course, but my point being if Alfredo leaves - his goals in the league are utterly replaceable, and quite easily bettered - especially with a striking partnership. 

I dont see Gerrard changing to two up front. I've always preferred watching two up front but Gerrard's the guy with champions league medals in his cabinet so what do I know. 

2 minutes ago, Bigsasasfloppyhair said:

He’s prob miles out of reach for us but I like the boy Wood up front for Burnley. He’s big, strong, athletic.

Guess well out our budget though. 

We can all dream. Could you imagine him and Morelos running at you. I'd pay money to watch that. Be like two tanks coming towards you.

5 minutes ago, Bigsasasfloppyhair said:

He’s prob miles out of reach for us but I like the boy Wood up front for Burnley. He’s big, strong, athletic.

Guess well out our budget though. 

You lost all credibility when you said fekir wouldn’t be good for us.

4 minutes ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

I dont see Gerrard changing to two up front. I've always preferred watching two up front but Gerrard's the guy with champions league medals in his cabinet so what do I know. 

The question is though, forgetting about LFC,  is if we're playing with one up front because Morelos is our most gifted attacker and this is the best way to use him?

Or, and this probably more likely, is he playing this formation because this is what his team believes in and any other replacement attacker will be shoe-horned into it?

47 minutes ago, siamthedanger said:

If we can't find a replacement for Morelos who can score the same or more goals in the league then we have serious problems. 

To be fair Morelos hasn’t even scored that many goals in the league for us tbh. Yet to score 20 goals in the league and he’s been here 3 years now. I think we will miss him in Europe a lot more than we do domestically.

48 minutes ago, Swally said:

Scottish League

Games        Goals

31                  23

35                  27

28                  14

27                  19

15                  13

--------------------

136             96

I loved Boyd but he was never able to operate alone upfront. 

20 minutes ago, Swally said:

That’s what I think as well. But everything else he gives us we will struggle to find in one player alone. If the setup changes and we have better supporting players then we can just go out and find a goal scorer but as said above, Gerrard won’t change so once Morelos goes I think we’re struggling 

3 minutes ago, Swally said:

The question is though, forgetting about LFC,  is if we're playing with one up front because Morelos is our most gifted attacker and this is the best way to use him?

Or, and this probably more likely, is he playing this formation because this is what his team believes in and any other replacement attacker will be shoe-horned into it?

He obviously believes in 433. I'm sure I heard that youth teams play that way also. Plenty of people have criticised him on here for a lack of a plan B. We badly need a second striker in most league games.

1 hour ago, Swally said:

Scottish League

Games        Goals

31                  23

35                  27

28                  14

27                  19

15                  13

--------------------

136             96

Boyd scored once in 17 games against celtic.   In fact, he was so reliable against them the manager benched or dropped him more often than he played.

Archived