Bayer 04 Leverkusen VS Rangers - Match Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Think a lot of people have had false expectations tonight and set themselves up for a fall.

Players getting battered, tactics slated, and all of a sudden we have went from needing a good midfielder before kick off to needing a new midfield at full time.

Leverkusen's midfield tonight was valued at around £150 million. They are a terrific side who combine excellent football whilst still having the nit and grit to get the ball back. 

This game won't define our season. 

This.  Leverkusen have been superb in 19/20. Said before but they are the best team we've played in a decade and I included the 10/11 season in that. 

Disappointed in our performance but not overly bothered now. It will matter more in 3 weeks. 

just gutted at Morelos. I had really hoped he would be staying and playing at his best with Roofe and Itten but that tonight sums it up for me. 

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

Well.. there have been games "this season" where he was instrumental in us keeping the ball against very good sides. He is losing it, for sure, but I think thats partly due carrying some sort of injury. 

I agree pre December Davis looked like he could control certain games. He fell of the cliff in January. At his age thats it.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Honestly don’t see him starting on Sunday mate, I think Gerrard will make a point of benching him to try and get him pissed off as he’s a passenger at the moment 

Maybe, I’m sure in the presser tomorrow someone will ask about the new lads fitness levels to get an idea if they are ready to start or not. 

Excited to see what our front 3 or 4 players looks like on Sunday. Twitter will be getting refreshed from 1:30 onwards to see the lineup. 

1 minute ago, kanjo said:

This.  Leverkusen have been superb in 19/20. Said before but they are the beat team we've played in a decade and I included the 10/11 season in that. 

Disappointed in our performance but not overly bothered now. It will matter more in 3 weeks. 

just gutted at Morelos. I had really hoped he would be staying and playing at his best with Roofe and Itten but that tonight sums it up for me. 

He was a big let down tonight. I have nothing against the guy and Im not gunning for him at all, but he wasnt himself.. even an off form himself. He was incredibly sloppy with the little he got and didnt look like giving a fuck either. Shame really.

Just now, tm91 said:

Outclassed by a much better side, there's no shame in that. For a bit of perspective, they paid £18m for 1 defender, which is comfortably more than our entire squad as far as I'm aware.

There's probably some legitimate questions to be had about choices but ultimately we did well to get this far and should be proud of ourselves. However, it is clear that we need to improve the midfield now. Davis is done and Jack, while a good player, can't drive a team forward or be the dominant influence in the centre. 

That boy at the back for them is fucking class. One of the best I've seen in recent years. 

Just now, johanhentze said:

Snuffed out anything before it became a danger.

Reads the game, quick over 10 yards, tall, strong, very composed, can cover left or right, can play simple passes. Definitely headed to the top. They'll make a massive profit on him in a year.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I’d be surprised if their still interested 

Said that earlier today.....this looks like a case off Morelos agreeing say 30k a week but Lillie valuing him in the 12million bracket.....we want 18million.....so Lille look like they are pursuing other options whilst Morelos now looks a bit silly as it looks like we are planning for life without him....a deal needs to be done sooner rather than later....Itten starts for me on Sunday 

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Long time since i have seen a side so strong in all positions.......

And have depth on the bench. They'll be getting ransacked over the next year or so but their bank manager will be delighted. Their scouting team must be one of the best out there.

Just now, hammer93 said:

Said that earlier today.....this looks like a case off Morelos agreeing say 30k a week but Lillie valuing him in the 12million bracket.....we want 18million.....so Lille look like they are pursuing other options whilst Morelos now looks a bit silly as it looks like we are planning for life without him....a deal needs to be done sooner rather than later....Itten starts for me on Sunday 

I'd think the Morelos transfer will be already agreed upon completion of this game. The whole club motto of "no active discussions" and "no further bids" can still mean the deal has been all but done.

2 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

The game was lost in the first leg, if we only needed a goal over there it would be hard against the Germans, but 3...No chance!!

Still strolled it tonight despite not playing for a month. Far too much quality for us.

Our run though that season has been unbelievable.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Still strolled it tonight despite not playing for a month. Far too much quality for us.

Our run though that season has been unbelievable.

They have a very decent chance of winning it, we were always going out was just a matter of when we drew  a top quality side, they proved their quality against us.

we’ve punched above our weight at times but There’s no doubt they are a better football team than us

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

I'd think the Morelos transfer will be already agreed upon completion of this game. The whole club motto of "no active discussions" and "no further bids" can still mean the deal has been all but done.

I hope you're right....I have enjoyed Alfie but it's time for a new hero imho....each passing game he plays and fails to score will draw even more attention to the lad....if it hadn't been known that he had agreed terms then he may be due some respite but the fans know what they are watching....he is a shadow of the player we grew to love

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I hope you're right....I have enjoyed Alfie but it's time for a new hero imho....each passing game he plays and fails to score will draw even more attention to the lad....if it hadn't been known that he had agreed terms then he may be due some respite but the fans know what they are watching....he is a shadow of the player we grew to love

There was alot of stuff going about in France that the €20m had been agreed and he was on his way. Maybe they came to a gentleman's agreement to say he would stay until after the Leverkusen game.

Archived