We look completely at ease in Europe

Born Sinner

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

No, I never referred to it as the sole reason, that is your misguided and incorrect opinion again.but I do believe it contributes to two of the major reasons as below. 

1) European refs are not as biased or corrupt.

2) European refs allow less of the  physicality inherent in Scottish football, which is often focused on us, and lowers the standard of our game.

I also believe other reasons would pale in to insignificance.

What do you believe is the major reason?

I believe it's down to us suiting European footy more with our setup. Teams don't sit with ten behind the ball. We have more creative freedom. We generally struggle to beat the block. That is our biggest problem in domestic football and in Europe it's not a factor as much.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

But those knives have been sharpening not game by game, but almost 3 years of the same failings. Of 0 trophies in 6 attempts. Of repeated mistakes and inability to adapt and change when things aren't working. This manager has been backed unanimously, financially and by the fans. Time is and has been running out. I have always said it is too late to change manager at this point in the season but have lost a lot of faith in him domestically.

The really rotten thing (for me, at least) is that, in any normal circumstance, a good bit of Euro progress would be a fine thing, even if it meant we didn’t do so well domestically, but would still provide a welcome & enjoyable distraction.

By normal, I mean playing in almost any league anywhere else, or if the vermin were only on 3 in a row.

The money’s great, but so would be a shot at the Champions league cash, if we could ever win the league.

I don’t think we’re strong enough to compete on 4 fronts - in the main, even the best Rangers teams haven’t been.

But we’re getting dragged into this Euro fantasy, which I reckon is diverting us from the main event.

5 minutes ago, HG5 said:

The really rotten thing (for me, at least) is that, in any normal circumstance, a good bit of Euro progress would be a fine thing, even if it meant we didn’t do so well domestically, but would still provide a welcome & enjoyable distraction.

By normal, I mean playing in almost any league anywhere else, or if the vermin were only on 3 in a row.

The money’s great, but so would be a shot at the Champions league cash, if we could ever win the league.

I don’t think we’re strong enough to compete on 4 fronts - in the main, even the best Rangers teams haven’t been.

But we’re getting dragged into this Euro fantasy, which I reckon is diverting us from the main event.

And that's it for me. Money is great and due to Gerrard's excellent European performances it is welcomed, but we won't look back in 10, 20 years time and celebrate finances. It's catch 22. We need the money now more than ever, but we must stop them.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I believe it's down to us suiting European footy more with our setup. Teams don't sit with ten behind the ball. We have more creative freedom. We generally struggle to beat the block. That is our biggest problem in domestic football and in Europe it's not a factor as much.

I also think teams underestimate us, get carried away when they’re on top, forget that we DO have a bit of quality and allow us to hit them on the break.

Can think of half a dozen goals we’ve scored from lightning breaks against the better end, too, like Kent in Braga, Alfredo in Porto, the goals in Villareal, etc.

As I say, we have a bit of quality & you can’t afford to take your eye off us.

10 minutes ago, GOAT said:

If it wasn’t for mcgregor this thread wouldn’t be here.  Delighted with how much we won by, but some poor defending at times and fantastic goalkeeping tonight.

I suppose you sign your keeper to keep em out & you sign your forwards to stick em away.

Bit topsy turvy when 3 of your 4 goals come from the back 4.....

12 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Due to Rangers excellent performances in Europe we WILL be playing Champions League football next season.  Scotland has two Champions League spots for the 2021/22 qualifiers. 

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I also think teams underestimate us, get carried away when they’re on top, forget that we DO have a bit of quality and allow us to hit them on the break.

Can think of half a dozen goals we’ve scored from lightning breaks against the better end, too, like Kent in Braga, Alfredo in Porto, the goals in Villareal, etc.

As I say, we have a bit of quality & you can’t afford to take your eye off us.

Think teams will wake up to us now. The record of reaching the last 16 from first round is incredible. As much as we look at galatasaray as a hard raw, they will look at us from that pot as the bogey team.

Just now, TMB said:

Due to Rangers excellent performances in Europe we WILL be playing Champions League football next season.  Scotland has two Champions League spots for the 2021/22 qualifiers. 

With a pretty tortuous route on for the runners up, but fair point👍

Anyone who thinks we haven't lost points in Scotland due to bad officiating must live on a different planet.

Tonight's penalty was a stonewaller but since we haven't had one in Scotland in almost a year, I wouldn't be surprised if we would have been denied that.

Yes we play better because teams come to play but the officiating does play a part.

16 minutes ago, GOAT said:

If it wasn’t for mcgregor this thread wouldn’t be here.  Delighted with how much we won by, but some poor defending at times and fantastic goalkeeping tonight.

He nearly cost us as well.

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Bold statement. 

We’re no finishing third tbf 

Just now, bluenoz said:

Anyone who thinks we haven't lost points in Scotland due to bad officiating must live on a different planet.

Tonight's penalty was a stonewaller but since we haven't had one in Scotland in almost a year, I wouldn't be surprised if we would have been denied that.

Yes we play better because teams come to play but the officiating does play a part.

That's the point I'm making. It's not JUST refereeing though and if anything that's secondary to the style of football.

Tbh I thought the penalty was soft tonight.

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

That's the point I'm making. It's not JUST refereeing though and if anything that's secondary to the style of football.

Tbh I thought the penalty was soft tonight.

I did also until I saw the replay. Tbf, I was so busy today, I only had one eye on the match all game.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Think teams will wake up to us now. The record of reaching the last 16 from first round is incredible. As much as we look at galatasaray as a hard raw, they will look at us from that pot as the bogey team.

You’d think.

As I posted somewhere else, I’m amazed how poor everybody’s else’s strikers are & as a result, we haven’t been tested as much as we might have - obviously Leverkusen were much more clinical than what we’d come up against before.

Weirdly, I didn’t think their general play was much better than ours, but when they struck, it counted!

Bit like we’re doing to others.

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Bit of a stretch to say we'll defo make the groups imo. 

Assumed he meant qualifiers tbh mate

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Since February, and we have had fours and a bit months of no football.

27 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Incidentally, this was also addressed by Beale.

"I think in Scotland we play football in a way that is very unique to Scotland.

“Not many other places play football like that. I think long balls lead to a lot of unpredictability in football and in the game you take the press off the first pass. And if the first pass goes into your 18-yard box as it does in Scotland then it's difficult.

"I think the games are refereed in a certain way and I think the games (in Europe) are played less physically and more technically.  That suits a lot of players we have.

Changing the formation and bringing in some physicality with Bassey, Itten, and Balogun, is an attempt to help us break teams down and make Rangers a more physical team.  The management is aware of past problems, they have made changes, they are learning and getting better as they go.  If we can sign one or two more players of quality we could have a very capable team.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

I think that's embarrassing 

The kind of shite Warburton would have come out with and be slaughtered but cos it's the myth that is Michael Beale it won't be

And yet, here we are every week complaining about the brutality that our opposition gets away with.. constant fouling and breaking up the game. Beale is bang on.

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I did also until I saw the replay. Tbf, I was so busy today, I only had one eye on the match all game.

Stonewaller from behind, looked like a  dive from the front.

Not wishing to exonerate refs when I don’t have to, but it really does depend what angle you see incidents from.

Archived