Lest We Forget

BLUEDIGNITY

2 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

So many men and women died  in the 2 world wars for the freedoms we now have.

Covid lockdowns, not being able to hug your gran and pubs being shut seem harsh to us now.

Count yourselves lucky imo

That's one of the reasons it riles me up so much when people are complaining about not being able to do what they want during Covid. Grown adults crying about Christmas and the like.

As you've highlighted, being less social and not being able to do what you want is a comparatively tiny price to pay to save lives. Watching your mates getting shot, blown up, killed - or it happening to you - wondering if you're family will be safe or if you'll ever see them again, all in order to save lives - that's sacrifice. 

Has anyone watched Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old?

I saw it was being shown on the BBC, but after I saw the trailer I avoided it tbh.

My aunt told me my great grand father might have been in it because he never returned. Obviously unlikely of course, but I guess it makes it a bit more difficult to watch if in the back of your mind you could be watching a family member moments before their death.

It looked like a real technical feat though.

On 08/11/2020 at 12:11, Gaffbear said:

My great uncles regiment the Cameron highlanders .

August 1914

Christmas 1914 

And some in this country cant show respect 

Screenshot_20201108-120914_WhatsApp.jpg

That's really sobering. I don't know if people today can ever comprehend how whole families were decimated back then. As you say, the least these people can expect is some dignity and respect for what they have done for us. 

Archived