Best and worst signings of the Gerrard era?

graeme_4

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to choose the best signing because so many of our players are performing well just now, I'd have to go with Barasic because he was an unknown quantity which when he arrived didn't impress too much. Gerrard was right to sign him and stick with him, he's shown how good a player he is and is arguably our most consistent player.

I wouldn't pick McGregor simply because it wouldn't take much insight to know he'd do a good job here! That's nothing against shagger, it's a compliment.

Worst signing I'd have to say is Grezda, offered relatively nothing to the side or the squad. Turned out to be an absolute cunt.

Best signing for me is Kamara, to get a player of his quality for a price that low is almost unheard of and when he goes it should be for 20m+ IMO he’s an absolute Rolls Royce of a playerΒ 

Aribo was an excellent bit of business as well and similar to Kamara I think he’ll eventually be worth an a fortune.Β 

Worst I’d have to say Flanagan, did nothing but be absolutely shit and cost us goals. McAuley and Worrall were both piss poor and would run him close but were with us over a shorter periodΒ Β 

Ojo and Ejaria were both dreadful cowardsΒ but at least contributed some little things (Ejaria was not bad against Rapid and Ojo goal against Feyenoord)Β 

Grezda I thought there was a player in there, obviously his attitude was shocking but with a certain style of manager who would put the arm round his shoulder I think you can get something out of him.Β 

Gerrard’s signings started off a bit ropey but overall I think he’s signed a lot more good players than badΒ 

1 hour ago, GA1972 said:

Best signing for me is Kamara, to get a player of his quality for a price that low is almost unheard of and when he goes it should be for 20m+ IMO he’s an absolute Rolls Royce of a playerΒ 

Aribo was an excellent bit of business as well and similar to Kamara I think he’ll eventually be worth an a fortune.Β 

Worst I’d have to say Flanagan, did nothing but be absolutely shit and cost us goals. McAuley and Worrall were both piss poor and would run him close but were with us over a shorter periodΒ Β 

Ojo and Ejaria were both dreadful cowardsΒ but at least contributed some little things (Ejaria was not bad against Rapid and Ojo goal against Feyenoord)Β 

Grezda I thought there was a player in there, obviously his attitude was shocking but with a certain style of manager who would put the arm round his shoulder I think you can get something out of him.Β 

Gerrard’s signings started off a bit ropey but overall I think he’s signed a lot more good players than badΒ 

Haha no.

15 hours ago, British_Empire said:

It's difficult to say exactly as there's a lot of good signings for various reasons ;

Kamara was 50k (being touted at 30-million now).
Davis a freebie and his experience in European games has been invaluable.Β 
Barisic cost 1.5 million and we could probably get x10 that for him now.
McGregor and Arfield - good freebie's who's contributed so much to us.
Helander & Goldson are now our defensive rock (with the exception of Benfica the other night and Easter Road). Combined cost of about 7-million.

Might be controversial but I'd question the value in Defoe, given (I'm guessing) he's on a really high wage and doesn't get the chance to contribute as much as a player like him should do. I'm not saying he's a bad signing, just don't think the value-to-money spent ratio is there.

However, the worst has to go to Grezda. I don't think guys like Polster, Worrall, Ejaria, Lafferty, Stewart, Hastie, Barker, Edmundson, Macaulay, Ojo, Sadiq, Coulibaley etc wereΒ good signingsΒ either, but they are a combination of frees and loans. Grezda cost us 2-million.Β 

I would put the overall improvement in Alfies game mostly down to Defoe and others will have learnt from him also therefore brilliant signing.

3 minutes ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

I would put the overall improvement in Alfies game mostly down to Defoe and others will have learnt from him also therefore brilliant signing.

Fair enough but I think that's a difficult thing to prove and just a hunch. I'm looking more at perhaps the management and coaching team, because, even though it's only really now we are looking like a formidable unit capable of winning things, there's also been marked improvements in the likes of Goldson, Tavernier, Kamara as the time has went on. Jack is a better player than the one that was at Aberdeen (and under previous Rangers managers), Barisic is a better player now than he was at Osijek (probably, as I've not watched Osijek more than 3 times in my life) ... there's probably a couple of others too. They won't all be down to Defoe.

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Fair enough but I think that's a difficult thing to prove and just a hunch. I'm looking more at perhaps the management and coaching team, because, even though it's only really now we are looking like a formidable unit capable of winning things, there's also been marked improvements in the likes of Goldson, Tavernier, Kamara as the time has went on. Jack is a better player than the one that was at Aberdeen (and under previous Rangers managers), Barisic is a better player now than he was at Osijek (probably, as I've not watched Osijek more than 3 times in my life) ... there's probably a couple of others too. They won't all be down to Defoe.

Can't disagree with any of that.πŸ‘

Archived