Michael Beale

ElBufalo20

10 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

The Portuguese guy at Man Utd under fergie was a disaster when he went alone Quirez I think his name is. 

Swings and roundabouts as @DBBTBsays.

Bill Struth (Rangers)
Struth had been an athlete before entering the football world in 1914 as an assistant to William Wilton, who became Rangers' first ever manager in 1899. On May 2, 1920, the day after leading the club to its tenth league title, Wilton died in a boating accident.

Struth, then 45, took over and enjoyed phenomenal success, winning 18 league titles, ten Scottish Cups and seven war-time championships in his 34 years in charge.

Struth went down in history as one of the greatest football managers of all time, but David Mason, in Rangers: The Managers, wrote: "It is doubtful whether Rangers would have become the club it is today without the endeavours of William Wilton." Struth was clearly heavily influenced by Wilton. The pair both left it to the senior players to decide on tactics, while Wilton was a strong disciplinarian with firm ideas on smartness and standards of dress; Struth, taking this policy a step further, once punched a player in the ribs for standing with his hands in his pockets.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

TBH I think one of the main reasons Moyes failed at Man U was because he got rid of Queiroz.

I’m impressed he had the gall to do that, especially considering that Queiroz left Manchester United in 2008, five years before Moyes took over.

Him and the rest of the coaching team were rightly criticised last season for their seemingly unwillingness to change from a set system when that system either didnt work or the players required for that system werent available or off form

This season they rightly get praised to fuck so far for not only adapting their system to duit different scenarios, but also not relying on one player per system for the system to work

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Yeah but I’ve also heard of a guy called Ally McCoist who done a pretty piss poor after working under a guy called Walter Smith who had a bit of presence about him so that argument is complete swings and roundabouts.

Beale might easily step up and be a great manager in his own right, just like plenty of assistants have, but by the same token he could also be another one of these coaches who are constantly hyped up by the more analytical type fans and pundits as future managers in waiting on the basis of their work as coaches under other managers who then go on to flop or fade into obscurity when they step out on their own too.

I understand that the continuity would appeal to some people but we’ve had a decade of risks and gambles when it comes to managerial appointments and although every manger comes with a degree of risk, I think when the time does come for Gerrard to leave we would be taking an incredible risk if we just promoted his assistant to be his replacement.

Ian Cathro syndrome.

6 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

TBH I think one of the main reasons Moyes failed at Man U was because he got rid of Queiroz.

Think you are thinking of Meulensteen. He was the assistant under Ferguson before he retired and then he completely flopped when he went out on his own.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Ian Cathro syndrome.

Exactly, but by the same token you have proper like Hansi Flick who stepped up from assistant and has been a massive success. You can only judge it on a case by case basis, but my personal presence is that it’s not something I would like to see us doing.

11 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Think you are thinking of Meulensteen. He was the assistant under Ferguson before he retired and then he completely flopped when he went out on his own.

I think he had gone before then as well. Sure Gary Walsh was assistant and Moyes got rid of him.

People also forget that Carlos Queiroz had already managed Portugal to u20 titles, had managed the senior national team as well as South Africa and was Wenger’s replacement at Nagoya Grampus Eight. He’d been a Manager in his own right for years prior to being Ferguson’s assistant.

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Exactly, but by the same token you have proper like Hansi Flick who stepped up from assistant and has been a massive success. You can only judge it on a case by case basis, but my personal presence is that it’s not something I would like to see us doing.

He managed Hoffenheim too prior to joining the national team. Albeit it was still when they were climbing the leagues.

34 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Mike Phelan. He was Fergies assistant for the last five years before Moyes binned them all 

20 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think he had gone before then as well. Sure Gary Walsh was assistant and Moyes got rid of him.

People also forget that Carlos Queiroz had already managed Portugal to u20 titles, had managed the senior national team as well as South Africa and was Wenger’s replacement at Nagoya Grampus Eight. He’d been a Manager in his own right for years prior to being Ferguson’s assistant.

It was Mike Phelan. Ole brought him back two years ago. 

10 hours ago, Fergie_6 said:

Can see Gary Mac getting the job, if Gerrard leaves a winner, Beale will follow him and we will have a new back room team.

For what it's worth. Met a mate of McAllister's in hospitality a couple of years ago, said that he had no interest in taking on another Managers role as he hadn't enjoyed the pressure of the role and got quite burned out by the experience. Prefers the assistant/coaching position where he doesn't have to deal with the media scrutiny and pressure from fans/ownership etc, so would expect him to stick with Gerrard or look for another assistants role.

If/when Gerrard leaves, might be good if he stayed at the club in the assistants position to help with the transition to whoever comes into the job.

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Mike Phelan. He was Fergies assistant for the last five years before Moyes binned them all 

Meulensteen also left in 2013. He was first team coach and had been spoken about as some manager in waiting for years. Think he was actually in for a few jobs when he was there but it wasn’t until he had left that he took on the Fulham job.

Archived