The Number Of Free Kicks That Go Just Over The Bar. And Other Dead Ball Situations.

tannerall

15 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Some of the best free kick takers of all time only scored 50-60 free kicks in careers where they played 500-600 games. Do you really think they haven’t put hours into practicing too?

It’s not as easy as people make it out to be - and much like it is with people who moan about how many corners we waste and how they don’t beat the first man enough - the stats show that they aren’t anywhere near as effective as people think they should be.

We are no worse at set pieces than any other club is.

All true, just so frustrating that so many fail to hit the initial target. So many go over the bar, get it on target and the goalie has to not only save it but also try to avoid spilling it back in play. Sunday was just another example in a routine match where our important free kicks were going over the bar, yet given the stats seems impossible to rectify. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to add to this monstrosity of a thread by telling everybody that I actually scored straight from the corner twice in one game, both right foot,  one inswinger and the other was wind assisted.

It was in the local paper.

actually scored about 7/8 in my Sunday league career, never practiced them though.

my team mates used to moan like fuck tbh, it was a waste of a corner if the keeper was any good.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

Still snowing down here. 

The best football I ever played was on New Year's mornings, in a few feet of snow, pissed with half the street playing, young and old. Best laughs and cameraderie ever, the football was almost irrelevant.

I assume that's the case now as well.😃

Just now, HuistraHairDo said:

I would like to add to this monstrosity of a thread by telling everybody that I actually scored straight from the corner twice in one game, both right foot,  one inswinger and the other was wind assisted.

It was in the local paper.

actually scored about 7/8 in my Sunday league career, never practiced them though.

my team mates used to moan like fuck tbh, it was a waste of a corner if the keeper was any good.

I too have scored from a corner,  all skill though no help from the wind. 

Hagi & Barisic have the best technique not Tav (yes I know he scored a belter from 35 yards). I'm fine with Tav on corners.

And since we are all bragging now, I once scored the winner in a semi-final from 45 yards. Pub, drunken folklore by me has it still rising as it hit the back of the net.

56 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Hagi & Barisic have the best technique not Tav (yes I know he scored a belter from 35 yards). I'm fine with Tav on corners.

And since we are all bragging now, I once scored the winner in a semi-final from 45 yards. Pub, drunken folklore by me has it still rising as it hit the back of the net.

Hagi hasn't shown he can score as much from free kicks though, his only one was a massive deflection

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Hagi hasn't shown he can score free kicks though, his only one was a massive deflection

True but his opportunities have been limited based on the captain pulling rank. Hagi has a gifted left and right leg. He knows it and that is why he is always pleading to take them.

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Hiya Mr Konterman.

2 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Please do find it 

I don’t care enough to go looking for it mate but Ive definitely seen it done, not easy to do and I have big doubts about Tanneralls 80% claim  

It swings out then takes a Bounce similar to that Scott Nisbet goal. If I come across the video again I’ll post it.

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I don’t care enough to go looking for it mate but Ive definitely seen it done, not easy to do and I have big doubts about Tanneralls 80% claim  

It swings out then takes a Bounce similar to that Scott Nisbet goal. If I come across the video again I’ll post it.

I don’t doubt that a ball can be swung outwards then maybe spin back towards goal after hitting the ground but he was claiming to hit the goal line direct from an outswinger

Just now, TamCoopz said:

I don’t doubt that a ball can be swung outwards then maybe spin back towards goal after hitting the ground but he was claiming to hit the goal line direct from an outswinger

Wasn’t during a match btw was a video with him messing about with the ball and aye I agree the balls not landing on the goal line direct from an out swinging corner, needs to bounce and spin back. I’m assuming that’s what tannerall meant maybe I got that wrong.

Takes some skill to be able to do that regularly so even if it is what he meant I’m not buying his 80% claim

54 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Wasn’t during a match btw was a video with him messing about with the ball and aye I agree the balls not landing on the goal line direct from an out swinging corner, needs to bounce and spin back. I’m assuming that’s what tannerall meant maybe I got that wrong.

Takes some skill to be able to do that regularly so even if it is what he meant I’m not buying his 80% claim

I think some folk also choose to ignore that there was nobody else on the park. 

8 time out of 10 I could roll it over the goal line, I practised it often enough, probably 50 times a week, thousands of time a year, it becomes easy with repetition, and occasionally it would land on the line, probably due, to wind or other stuff. Once you mastered that you could consistently land the ball exactly where you wanted in the penalty box. So maybe the intention was lost by some folk, but then some folk were not here to talk about the football  itself unfortunately.

Bit more difficult when people are on the park of course, but the principle still stands, one of the more consistent ways  to score from a corner is to have the ball coming down in the right place in the penalty box, and its surprising how much skill and instinct that takes.

6 minutes ago, GetToTheChoppa said:

Fuck sake Tannerinho,give up on this and move on.

Great chance you had to make a good post wasted there. If you don't like it ignore it.

To me football's similar to a game of chess, quite logical. 

Football's a thousand times more difficult, though,cause after the start the players are allowed to move around themselves.

Could discuss it with knowledgable and reciprocating fans forever. 

Archived