Starfield

CR3

45 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Some people could argue a game in the 90’s on a 16-bit snes machine could be better than one out in 2023 so I’m just not sure what you’re trying to say in regards to what was spoken about - how a game is rated based on how long it was out or what you can play it on weren’t really coming into it for me.

Well I’d expect the same type of game to be better 4 years later. Games are reviewed as to what they are at the time of release not on how they might be viewed in 20 years.

As suspected/expected with a Bethesda game of this scale, the myriad of bugs, glitches and bitches are pouring in to review sites across the net. The fact that there are loading screens is pissing off many it seems, poor animations, frame rate issues especially on PC, crashing, again on PC, severe audio problems again on PC, space ships becoming invisible during flight,  buildings ships and environments proving indestructible when they should not, floating NPC's, headless NPC's and so on and so on.

As I said before, this I why I never touch a Bethesda RPG usually until all the official DLC has been released, usually a year down the line, by which time a myriad of patches and fixes will have been fired out and the modding community will have improved (drastically so in the case of Fallout 4) the gameplay from the vanilla release.

This game looks like being potentially one of the greats, will just have to wait patiently until it is in fact ready to play.

2 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

As suspected/expected with a Bethesda game of this scale, the myriad of bugs, glitches and bitches are pouring in to review sites across the net. The fact that there are loading screens is pissing off many it seems, poor animations, frame rate issues especially on PC, crashing, again on PC, severe audio problems again on PC, space ships becoming invisible during flight,  buildings ships and environments proving indestructible when they should not, floating NPC's, headless NPC's and so on and so on.

As I said before, this I why I never touch a Bethesda RPG usually until all the official DLC has been released, usually a year down the line, by which time a myriad of patches and fixes will have been fired out and the modding community will have improved (drastically so in the case of Fallout 4) the gameplay from the vanilla release.

This game looks like being potentially one of the greats, will just have to wait patiently until it is in fact ready to play.

Lot more easy to deal with when it’s on GamePass I think.

44 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Lot more easy to deal with when it’s on GamePass I think.

I have Game Pass, but even so will give it a miss for the moment. TBH not too sure if the Game Pass version will be as Mod friendly (not the Parka wearing scooter riding Mods :UK:) as the direct purchase versions will be, I will be playing this hopefully/eventually on PC.

ive barely seen glitches and even at that they often the case of an enemy just getting caught between something although i got pissed off with the robot companion just standing in front of me when i was shooting

when you're in a city it has a definite deus ex feel to it and when in space or surveying a planet they tried to copy no mans sky but not be obvious about it

if you're going to start it put it on a more difficult setting and play the main mission till a certain point where you know what you're getting the artefacts for

it's shipped with less bugs than any Bethesda title in the past and I didn't experience any major in a whole playthrough and I've worked in QA in gaming.  @Jakes Pal its actually a great shame folk go on bad review culture and by the time you experience it you'll have already seen too much and will be jaded looking for perfection. 

14 hours ago, CR3 said:

I’d say closer to an 8+ if you whack the film grain off and are at peace with the FPS as promised until improved. There’s quite a cyberpunk vibe/look to some of it with less bugs mixed with the classic Fallout. Like all the other Bethesda games after a while when they finally get an fps boost and upgrade it could hit a 9 quite easily but thought 7 was harsh and probably came from a guy who was on PC expecting more from the performance. For example it tans the arse off of The Outer Worlds and has the potential to be one of the best in the series for content but I’m 2/3rds in.

Tbh I think I'm just getting tired of Bethesda games, it feels like the same thing over and over again at this point. You'd never believe that is a AAA title released in 2023, could easily have been released 5 years ago and you wouldn't bat an eye. 

11 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

You'd never believe that is a AAA title released in 2023, could easily have been released 5 years ago and you wouldn't bat an eye. 

Aye would probably agree but I’d play a game if it had this amount of content, quests, different story with that same engine every year if I could tbh.

Each to their own though, the fallout 4 engine still works and the game was in development for 7/8 years so couldn’t all be new tech. I thought it was going to have a lot more problems than it does. Was slightly miffed at some similarities that crept in on that neon planet that made it look like Cyberpunk. Which was a far worse release.

I got a free copy with my latest GPU, but cant be arsed downloading it just now.

I just cant take to 1 player games.

This will no doubt be a million times more polished than Star Citizen (which is a buggy mess even for Alpha). It will have actual completed gameplay loops. It wont randomly lose you all your progress.

It misses that absolute critical factor though, the unpredictability of other humans.

Someone carelessly leaving a door open on their massive starship, only for someone to sneak on and hide behind some cargo, they wait till you are in deep space away from any crime stat zones and murder you while you pilot the ship unknown that they are there, stealing your ship and cargo.

Something like that happening as part of a scripted mission against AI, versus doing it against a real person, just because it can be done is a completely different ballpark.

Star Citizen is a buggy mess that I have serious doubts will ever see it get a proper release, but there are some moments that it can give you even in the current state, that are just beyond what any game from an actual AAA developer can offer.

3 hours ago, CR3 said:

it's shipped with less bugs than any Bethesda title in the past and I didn't experience any major in a whole playthrough and I've worked in QA in gaming.  @Jakes Pal its actually a great shame folk go on bad review culture and by the time you experience it you'll have already seen too much and will be jaded looking for perfection. 

Probably a lot of PS4-5 fan boys review bombing the game in a hissy fit because it is Windows/XBox exclusive. Hope you do not think I am kicking Bethesda here, far from it, just knew from 30+ years of PC gaming experience how the initial launch was going to go.

Given a game of the sheer scale and complexity of Starfield where you have an almost infinite number of customization options from your player to ship and base design, there is no way that the developers and small numbers of official play testers can do anything but scratch the surface of the bugs and issues in the game. The only way to play test the game is to let the actual players test it,  and that is what they are doing in incredible  numbers already, well over a million. The first mods are already out, including one that will help people with older PC rigs to run the game well, and I have no doubt that the first unofficial patch will soon arrive along with the official fixes from Bethesda to come in the coming months.

All being well I shall be spending an equally stupid amount of time in the  Starfield world as I have done in the past in the Fallout & Skyrim realms.

5 hours ago, CR3 said:

Aye would probably agree but I’d play a game if it had this amount of content, quests, different story with that same engine every year if I could tbh.

Each to their own though, the fallout 4 engine still works and the game was in development for 7/8 years so couldn’t all be new tech. I thought it was going to have a lot more problems than it does. Was slightly miffed at some similarities that crept in on that neon planet that made it look like Cyberpunk. Which was a far worse release.

The fallout 4 engine still works but for years the technology has been there to make far better looking games. It's taken them 7 years to release a game that looks like it could have been released 7 years ago, that's pretty poor mate.

3 hours ago, lidorfc said:

The fallout 4 engine still works but for years the technology has been there to make far better looking games. It's taken them 7 years to release a game that looks like it could have been released 7 years ago, that's pretty poor mate.

I think it’s being generous to fallout 4 to say this looks as good as that did. On release to now they’ve upgraded it massively so it’s probably bridged the gap though. Trying to think of an example where a game keeps its fundamentals of the previous and looks like a better polished version, there’s a few but I remember you played elden ring, maybe that from an upgraded dark souls 3 over the years is comparable as that was also out around 2015 like F4? But that was also one of my favourites.

57 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I think it’s being generous to fallout 4 to say this looks as good as that did. On release to now they’ve upgraded it massively so it’s probably bridged the gap though. Trying to think of an example where a game keeps its fundamentals of the previous and looks like a better polished version, there’s a few but I remember you played elden ring, maybe that from an upgraded dark souls 3 over the years is comparable as that was also out around 2015 like F4? But that was also one of my favourites.

I've actually not played any of the Dark Souls game, Elden Ring was the first game from Fromsoftware that I've played, think I ended up sinking about 200 hours into it by the time I'd completed it. I've actually not been able to sit down and play through a single player game since now that I think about it :lol: maybe it ruined single player games for me. 

I'm probably being a bit harsh, just think that this was probably the game to make on a new engine, it could've been so much better. Which I say having spent all of 5 hours playing the game so should probably give it more of a chance.

10 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

I have Game Pass, but even so will give it a miss for the moment. TBH not too sure if the Game Pass version will be as Mod friendly (not the Parka wearing scooter riding Mods :UK:) as the direct purchase versions will be, I will be playing this hopefully/eventually on PC.

I think it will be mod friendly. It actually has a proper game folder on the PC unlike other Game Pass releases. I'm running the DLSS mod right now.

As for the normal Bethesda bugs despite this supposedly being more polished than other releases in the past I've had 2 game breaking bugs in my first couple of hours of playing the game. The first time I managed to fast travel to my ship but the 2nd required a save to be reloaded. 

On 07/09/2023 at 21:09, CR3 said:

I think it’s being generous to fallout 4

Not generous, wrong. From what I have seen of Starfield compared to F4, that as I said above I am very familiar with, the difference in visuals at least, do not know about gameplay, is night and day.

2 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

I got sick of fast travelling, no touched it in days.

What you meaning, grav jumping to planets mate? Bit tedious but I haven’t half hounded it man. Need a break for a day or two for ma sanity I think.

On 15/09/2023 at 19:13, EatDolphins said:

Considering getting this. Been a long long time since I've bought a gane when I comes out. 60 quid is a but steep though. 

Pretty sure when I bought goldeneye on the n64 in the 90s it was £50.  Would say £60 is not all that bad.

8 hours ago, Blue72 said:

Pretty sure when I bought goldeneye on the n64 in the 90s it was £50.  Would say £60 is not all that bad.

Aye that was down to the cartridges Nintendo used.

When you take inflation into account, the price goldeneye released for in 1997 is the equivalent of £102 today.

The games industry always seemed to avoid inflation, which has made the jump all that more jarring… But AAA games on the whole are far more expensive to produce thesedays.

I don’t like Starfield, but even at 60 quid there’s clearly enough meat on those bones to justify the cost of entry.