Next Manager Discussion Thread

superallysbears

25 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think Caixinha was the worst managerial appointment we’ve ever made. Guys like McCoist, McCall, Murty & Warburton weren’t great but at least there was some semblance of logic behind them all. Caixinha was a “what the actual fuck” appointment from the moment his name came up.

Easily our worst ever manager.

I'd actually love to know what he said or did during interview to convince the board he was the right person.

Heads should have rolled for whoever signed that off.

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I’m not even in the Rebrov camp but that’s such a lazy comparison tbh :lol:

Rebrov has won multiple honours in Hungary and Ukraine, managed in the Europa League and Champions League and has experience of British football from his playing days.

Caixinha had won one league title in Mexico and was somebody only the most hipster of hipsters would have heard of before he was linked with us.

Also the mexican system is so fucked up because it's the play-offs. Pretty sure his team finished like 7th or 8th in the proper league campaign:lol:

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Longlist probably don't think he would get any serious consideration. Really think Parker and Marsch will be the frontrunners and wouldn't be surprised if Russell Martin was heavily linked as well.

Honestly don't think Parker will even be near it. 

This board has never reacted well to criticism. Parker got sacked after tearing into the Bournemouth board for not equipping him for the Premier League. 

If he's tore into them imagine what he'll have to say about our board. 

2 hours ago, YankeeGer said:

I'm not sold on Rebrov at all. Great player and all, but to me that'd be a Caixinha type appointment.

Completely honestly, I think it's an embarrassing suggestion to be wanting to poach a manager from the fucking UAE who's only achievements are winning one team farmers' leagues.

It really would be embarressing woukdn't it? It'd be like poaching a manager from like Japan or something...

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Marsch talks a good game but his record is appalling.

Would hate for him to get it but think he's the type who would appeal to Ross Wilson.

1 minute ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Honestly don't think Parker will even be near it. 

This board has never reacted well to criticism. Parker got sacked after tearing into the Bournemouth board for not equipping him for the Premier League. 

If he's tore into them imagine what he'll have to say about our board. 

If he agreed to take our job he would be aware of our financial situation, bit different from getting a club promoted to the EPL then not getting money to spend.

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

If he agreed to take our job he would be aware of our financial situation, bit different from getting a club promoted to the EPL then not getting money to spend.

I still don't think that would stop him mouthing off if things go wrong for him. 

He did similar at Fulham. 

Just don't see this board wanting a manager like that in place. 

To be honest, the choice should be pretty simple. If Dyche would take it, we should offer it to him.

He is a proven manager of higher standing than we have had for a long time.

Far less of a risk than the others.

Only issue is that I seriously doubt we could get him.

Would expect him to be in the running for the EPL survival jobs in the second half of the season, or top championship roles.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

To be honest, the choice should be pretty simple. If Dyche would take it, we should offer it to him.

Would expect him to be in the running for the EPL survival jobs in the second half of the season, or top championship roles.

He turned down Bournemouth because apparently he doesn't want to be seen as someone who can only save teams with a small budget from relegation. If we offered him it he would come I think.

9 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

If we went for dyche now I think we would get him.

He's been linked with jobs down south but so far no takers.

He might also fancy a different challenge than get promoted or stay up. 

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

He turned down Bournemouth because apparently he doesn't want to be seen as someone who can only save teams with a small budget from relegation. If we offered him it he would come I think.

Ah really, that's actually quite good to hear.

Genuinely feel far more comfortable with the idea of him over most of the other names, but to be fair I don't know much about many of them, so it's a bit ill-informed.

Dyche was very highly rated, in the toughest league in the world for long enough.

His football might be a bit boring, but it's effective. I think we need that kinda base to work from.

I also think that he is probably well enough rounded to be able to offer a bit more of an attacking approach if for once he has the resources which dwarf his competition.

Dyche over somebody like Rebrov is an absolute no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Holding your own for seasons in the EPL Vs a few tropheys in a backwater is not equatable.

31 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Throwing Warburton in with them is harsh to be honest.

He turned out to be a prick with how he left, but genuinely could actually be a better manager than Gerrard.

He actually had us playing well for a good period with an absolute dross squad. He was not backed anywhere near enough when we got back to the top flight.

If we had given him the same budget as Gerrard got, then I would have backed him to do significantly better than he did.

He had us playing brilliant football but he was far too stubborn when teams sussed out how we played. His away record was pretty appalling when it came to bigger games like Hibs and Falkirk.

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

If we went for dyche now I think we would get him.

He's been linked with jobs down south but so far no takers.

He might also fancy a different challenge than get promoted or stay up. 

The question is whether the board will a) sack Gio and b) would they have dyche on their radar as his wages will be pretty high (this type of appointment would be our version of them with Rodgers)

I think if we offer a good enough salary then he’d probably join as it’s a different challenge where you fight for trophies and are expected to win and will be in Europe each year.

I’m not convinced he’d be the right appointment but he’d probably get an immediate reaction from the squad.

Just now, G.E.C. said:

He had us playing brilliant football but he was far too stubborn when teams sussed out how we played. His away record was pretty appalling when it came to bigger games like Hibs and Falkirk.

Yea possibly true, but I just feel that if he had been given a better budget and didn't have to deal with the Harry Forrester's and the likes then he could have probably overcome those issues.

It's a bit like fat ange across the city. His stupid tactics work because he has the budget for players who can overcome the pitfalls of his system. Give him the junk that Warburton had and then ask him to get the results he is getting.

I'm not saying Warburton was brilliant, he is just a level above the really, really bad managers we had.

18 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Ah really, that's actually quite good to hear.

Genuinely feel far more comfortable with the idea of him over most of the other names, but to be fair I don't know much about many of them, so it's a bit ill-informed.

Dyche was very highly rated, in the toughest league in the world for long enough.

His football might be a bit boring, but it's effective. I think we need that kinda base to work from.

I also think that he is probably well enough rounded to be able to offer a bit more of an attacking approach if for once he has the resources which dwarf his competition.

Dyche over somebody like Rebrov is an absolute no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Holding your own for seasons in the EPL Vs a few tropheys in a backwater is not equatable.

I don't mind Dyche at all but you do know we play in a backwater? 

It's not just winning trophies. It's taking historically rich clubs (especially Dynamo) and bringing back pride and success domestically and abroad that they've been starved of so long. 

3 hours ago, YankeeGer said:

I'm not sold on Rebrov at all. Great player and all, but to me that'd be a Caixinha type appointment.

Completely honestly, I think it's an embarrassing suggestion to be wanting to poach a manager from the fucking UAE who's only achievements are winning one team farmers' leagues.

I don’t know enough about Rebrov as a manager but you can’t say they’re one team leagues if the teams he won with hasn’t done so for years 

3 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I don't mind Dyche at all but you do know we play in a backwater? 

It's not just winning trophies. It's taking historically rich clubs (especially Dynamo) and bringing back pride and success domestically and abroad that they've been starved of so long. 

Yes, we play in a backwater. I'm not in a rush to appoint Neilson or Robinson though.

I genuinely don't care about winning tropheys in wee backwater leagues on someone's CV. It's a big risk. Aye, it's paid off for them, but for every gamble that pays off, you are likely to get a GVB or a Pedro.

A guy who survives multiple seasons in the EPL, and gains promotions from the English Championship is a far higher achievement to me than someone winning titles with Dynamo or other leagues in Eastern Europe.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Yes, we play in a backwater. I'm not in a rush to appoint Neilson or Robinson though.

I genuinely don't care about winning tropheys in wee backwater leagues on someone's CV. It's a big risk. Aye, it's paid off for them, but for every gamble that pays off, you are likely to get a GVB or a Pedro.

A guy who survives multiple seasons in the EPL, and gains promotions from the English Championship is a far higher achievement to me than someone winning titles with Dynamo or other leagues in Eastern Europe.

Arguably though some managers may be more suited to winning regularly at a lower level with a team with more resources than the majority of other ones in their league vs a higher quality team that’s near bottom in budget in a different league.  I think Dyche might be flexible enough to do both but no guarantees really.

Just now, Blue72 said:

Arguably though some managers may be more suited to winning regularly at a lower level with a team with more resources than the majority of other ones in their league vs a higher quality team that’s near bottom in budget in a different league.  I think Dyche might be flexible enough to do both but no guarantees really.

Possibly, but Rebrovs final season with Dynamo appears to have been a giant cluster fuck. They also seem to have went through a minging few years before his arrival but we're always much of a muchness with the spend of the other top clubs.

Like it or not, but Celtic are fucking miles ahead of us in financial terms now.

We are miles ahead of everyone else, but far behind them.

I actually think we need to bring in a manager who has a bit of an underdog rep, such as Dyche.

Make us hard to beat and then from that foundation go on to win things.

Once we are CL regulars and we can match them on the financials, then we can look to go for an exciting coach.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Possibly, but Rebrovs final season with Dynamo appears to have been a giant cluster fuck. They also seem to have went through a minging few years before his arrival but we're always much of a muchness with the spend of the other top clubs.

Like it or not, but celtic are fucking miles ahead of us in financial terms now.

I actually think we need to bring in a manager who has a bit of an underdog rep, such as Dyche.

Once we are CL regulars and we can match them on the financials, then we can look to go for an exciting coach.

Don’t disagree and know little about Rebrov - Dyche has a bit of charisma and seems to get his team motivated around him which I think is what we need more than anything over the next period given the gap financially 

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Like it or not, but celtic are fucking miles ahead of us in financial terms now.

This is essentially Walter returning in 2007. Made some astute signings (mainly weir and ehiogu to shore up the defence) then started to win trophies again.

6 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I don't think anyone is in a rush to get Neilson or Robinson:lol:

Rebrov or someone like Pedro Martins are a lot less of a risk than Gio was because of their track record and style of play. Pedro was just a fucking stupid appointment that made no sense. 

The Dynamo/Shaktar dynamic in Ukraine is extremely similar to the dynamic we and celtic have in Scotland. Foreign isn't always a huge risk if it is thought out and can be justified.

Dyche has done a fantastic job up Burnley and has shown he can win a league to with a budget that probably wasnt the biggest in the Championship either.