Kent

Number5

19 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You are aware that Todd Cantwell is a winger eh, Tom Lawrence too?

I don’t care if it’s the perfect age, it’s not young in terms of footballers. You’d think he was 20/21 describing him as young.

So because previous signings haven’t been good, we just stick with the same old, mediocrity because they’re ‘young, fit and don’t miss games’?

No I want to win the title next year. People living in airy fairy land want to keep Goldson, Yilmaz, Raskin, Lawrence, cantwell and Davies. That’s about it. Never mind half are always injured and the others we’ve seen play about 3 games. And they think there’s some magic honeypot and world class DoF we have that’s going to sign 8-9 players in the Summer to turn us into a title winning team. 

I’n a realist. We need to win the league next year. Players like Tav and Kent are good enough. Have they underperformed in terms of trophies? Yes. Has Kent been good value for money? Probably not. We should have sold him. In a perfect world if the other 9 positions were sorted. Sure I would like at focusing funds upgrading those positions.

Are they at fault for losing the final? They’re quite far down the list for me. If you put CCV, McGregor, Hatate and Hart into our team. There’s no difference between the sides. They are athletic and can play a high press we can’t.

Kent and Tav have been our two best athletes. They barely miss games. 

If we were to line up next year with 

(New GK)

Tav Goldson (New athletic CB) Barisic/Yilmaz

Raskin

Lawrence or (New CM) Tillman

RW          (New Striker)     Kent

That team is good enough to win the league. If the players signed as young and fit. We too can play the high press. 

Why make it more difficult for ourselves by getting rid of two players for nothing who are good enough. When we already need to sign 5. 

The loser mentality thing is classic correlation/causation. Man Utd just won a cup for the first time in like 5 years. Bruno Fernandez didn’t just flip from a serial loser to winner and that’s why they won. He was a good player in a bad team. And they’ve added better players and a new manager. 

18 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You are aware that Todd Cantwell is a winger eh, Tom Lawrence too?

I don’t care if it’s the perfect age, it’s not young in terms of footballers. You’d think he was 20/21 describing him as young.

So because previous signings haven’t been good, we just stick with the same old, mediocrity because they’re ‘young, fit and don’t miss games’?

I think Lawrence and Cantwell will be our wide players next season and both will be given a lot of freedom to float about and switch positions.

9 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Ryan Kent, has all the ability and skills to go a lot further in this game.

Shame he doesn't have the drive to be that player though.

What we got for what we paid, is effectively not good enough.

I don't think Kent's issue is his drive at all. His issue is his decision-making.

Much like Theo Walcott back in the day and modern-day guys like Daniel James, they were fast and skilful but just didn't have the football brain to get to the next level so hit their ceiling when they were 21-22.

I think that's why his performances have dropped in recent seasons, as he's been so frustrated that he's not improved and started to become disillusioned and trying to force it.

Add to that his shooting is truly horrific. Genuinely League Two standard.

Unfortunately, we have 3 wingers like that in Kent, Sakala and Matondo. Fast and skilful but with the decision-making of a donkey. 

41 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

Possibly but whenever we play without Morelos or Kent we have very little threat and to replace both could be very costly. 

That’s football 

you move players on and you replace them 

only time you keep hold of players year upon year is when they are continuously delivering both personal stats and trophies . Something neither have done at a consistent level for nearly two full seasons now or most of their Rangers careers

far better and more successful players have left Rangers before than Morelos and Ryan Kent. 

20 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

No I want to win the title next year. People living in airy fairy land want to keep Goldson, Yilmaz, Raskin, Lawrence, cantwell and Davies. That’s about it. Never mind half are always injured and the others we’ve seen play about 3 games. And they think there’s some magic honeypot and world class DoF we have that’s going to sign 8-9 players in the Summer to turn us into a title winning team. 

I’n a realist. We need to win the league next year. Players like Tav and Kent are good enough. Have they underperformed in terms of trophies? Yes. Has Kent been good value for money? Probably not. We should have sold him. In a perfect world if the other 9 positions were sorted. Sure I would like at focusing funds upgrading those positions.

Are they at fault for losing the final? They’re quite far down the list for me. If you put CCV, McGregor, Hatate and Hart into our team. There’s no difference between the sides. They are athletic and can play a high press we can’t.

(New GK)

Raskin

That team is good enough to win the league. If the players signed as young and fit. We too can play the high press. 

Why make it more difficult for ourselves by getting rid of two players for nothing who are good enough. When we already need to sign 5. 

The loser mentality thing is classic correlation/causation. Man Utd just won a cup for the first time in like 5 years. Bruno Fernandez didn’t just flip from a serial loser to winner and that’s why they won. He was a good player in a bad team. And they’ve added better players and a new manager. 

Too sensible 

3 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I don't think Kent's issue is his drive at all. His issue is his decision-making.

Much like Theo Walcott back in the day and modern-day guys like Daniel James, they were fast and skilful but just didn't have the football brain to get to the next level so hit their ceiling when they were 21-22.

I think that's why his performances have dropped in recent seasons, as he's been so frustrated that he's not improved and started to become disillusioned and trying to force it.

Add to that his shooting is truly horrific. Genuinely League Two standard.

Unfortunately, we have 3 wingers like that in Kent, Sakala and Matondo. Fast and skilful but with the decision-making of a donkey. 

You can actually see the cogs working as Ryan runs with the ball, you can see he's trying to work out what to do next, concentrating so hard the tongues sticking out. Then he runs sideways, or just runs it into the man and loses the ball or the worst, keeps running infield to try for a shot when it's not on.

1 hour ago, OrangeRab said:

He needs to stop shooting when he’s off balance and going backwards. Should be a pretty easy thing for a coach to drill in.

Other than that thought he was ok. Unlucky to hit the post and had some nice touches with next to no service. He’s young, fit and can be relied upon if we want to build the aggressive press everyone wants to see. 

As others have said if we want to win the league next season we need to sign a GK, a CB, a centre mid and a RW all starters minimum. Getting 4 starters already feels like a pipe dream for one window given only 3 players from the last 9 windows started the final. 

Kent is good enough to be part of a title winning team if the other parts of the jigsaw are sorted. Why take the risk given there’s no fee. Of not getting someone better. Then being forced to play Scott Wright. That’s title over 

He's 26 with nearly 300 career appearances ffs

29 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

(New GK)

Raskin

You’re just completely ignoring we have signed two left wingers, one that you seem to think is a centre mid.

How many more seasons of mediocrity are you willing to accept from him? 

He’s a 26 year old attacker who’s shooting wouldn’t look out of place in a game between secondary schools, it’ll be a miracle if he reaches double figures in goals between the last two seasons.

8 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Too sensible 

7 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

You can actually see the cogs working as Ryan runs with the ball, you can see he's trying to work out what to do next, concentrating so hard the tongues sticking out. Then he runs sideways, or just runs it into the man and loses the ball or the worst, keeps running infield to try for a shot when it's not on.

Exactly. At that level, most of what you are doing should be instinct. That split second of stopping to think about what to do next is the difference between him being a decent SPFL player and a decent EPL player.

Not to mention the fact his head goes down as soon as he gets the ball so he's often not aware of what's around him.

7 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You’re just completely ignoring we have signed two left wingers, one that you seem to think is a centre mid.

He’s a 26 year old attacker who’s shooting wouldn’t look out of place in a game between secondary schools, it’ll be a miracle if he reaches double figures in goals between the last two seasons.

He helped get 55, the EL final and CL Groups and think he’ll improve with better players around him. It’s poor business sense all round to let him go for free.

I'm not Kent's biggest fan, but given all the areas we need to improve this season I wouldn't be completely against him signing a new contract. Maybe it actually improves his performances with more clarity that he's staying and not thinking about what's next.

We need a new Striker, Right Winger, Central Midfielder, Centre Back and Goalkeeper this summer, at an absolute minimum. Probably more.

Given the budget we'll probably have god knows what we'd end up replacing him with given the donkeys we've signed on the other wing recently.

4 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I'm not Kent's biggest fan, but given all the areas we need to improve this season I wouldn't be completely against him signing a new contract. Maybe it actually improves his performances with more clarity that he's staying and not thinking about what's next.

We need a new Striker, Right Winger, Central Midfielder, Centre Back and Goalkeeper this summer, at an absolute minimum. Probably more.

Given the budget we'll probably have god knows what we'd end up replacing him with given the donkeys we've signed on the other wing recently.

We have two left wingers already at the club

1 hour ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

On paper, in a normal market they are probably worth a combined 8-10 million, but I honestly think we just need to bin them and reset now.

They’ve been two key players in a side that has shown themselves to have a losers mentality time and time again. It’s time to cut that rot out and not rely on potentials and maybe’s anymore.

Thats includes the 2 losers tavernier and goldson. Who have played lower english leagues where winning is not important.

48 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think Lawrence and Cantwell will be our wide players next season and both will be given a lot of freedom to float about and switch positions.

Lawrence i think has been our biggest miss. Reminds me of windass but better, for all windass was, he scored 17 in our first season back in this league.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We have two left wingers already at the club

Lawrence played all his games either centrally or on the right for us, and in his last season for Derby played 52% of his games centrally, not on the left.

Similarly, Cantwell only played 3 of his 22 games last season on the left.

Just because they can play on the left doesn't mean they will. Beale has already said he sees Lawrence more centrally and I can see him taking Tillman's place.

3 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Lawrence played all his games either centrally or on the right for us, and in his last season for Derby played 52% of his games centrally, not on the left.

Similarly, Cantwell only played 3 of his 22 games last season on the left.

Just because they can play on the left doesn't mean they will. Beale has already said he sees Lawrence more centrally and I can see him taking Tillman's place.

They are left wingers who can play centrally. They should both be ahead of Kent.

If Beale wants to play Kent centrally, the two of them, Tillman and Lowry should all be ahead of him there too.

4 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

another 3 seasons 👍

Not surprised.