Comparing this season to last

11 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Balogun is 34 - yet another ageing defender is the last thing that we need surely?

Souttar is 26, I know who I'd rather have signed for another year. The fact Beale took him to QPR, I'd imagine if he'd been in charge over the summer Balogun would still have been here. 

40 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Great input. 

1-1 Draw with Livi at Ibrox and the following week we lost 2-1 away to St Johnstone then 1-1 with St Mirren with King and Sands as our only available CBs throughout that period. Davies came off injured in the Livi game and Goldson was out completely. 

My point stands. We were conceding to absolute dross and chucked away 7 points in 3 games. We were a shambles in defence. That's where the issue was. Beale took him to QPR because he knew he was getting a solid no nonsense defender. 

yawn 

On 08/02/2023 at 09:31, East Enclosure Row N said:

We've a new manager and are grinding out results, which looks good on paper at the end of the game, but some of it has been kinda torture to watch at times.

Champions league - on reflection, I think it was a bit of a distraction for us. We got gubbed left right and centre and also dropped daft domestic points inbetween. Hard to motivate players at the weekend after a midweek thrashing. With the Europa league we went into every game with a fighting chance.

Players - can't judge the new signings yet as it's far too soon. One thing's for sure - we really miss Bassey and Aribo. Our injury list this year must be up there as one of our worst ever? If we have "dead wood" in the squad, we have to he ruthless and move them on. Something must be really wrong if Arfield can't even get a bench spot now - only a couple of weeks since Beale was going on about how great he was. Really hope we can get Kent to agree a new contract. His new roving role's taking a bit of time to get used to, but loving the increase in long ball passes.

Goalkeeper - I think everyone's agreed that we need to address this very quickly? I've been impressed by Remi Matthews at St Johnstone over the last few weeks.

League fixtures - finding it really difficult to get excited about playing anyone else other than celtic and Hearts. Every other team is fighting for something within their grasp (Europe, a top 6 spot or avoiding the drop) and it kinda feels like we don't have very much to aim for just now?

VAR - left this until last. The delays have sucked the life blood out of being at a live game. We score - hurray - 3 mins .......... later naw we didnae! South America is trialling a new system similar to Rugby where there is 80mins of actual "ball in play" time and an independent timekeeper. Be interesting to see how this works?

Summing up - wee bit of a sparkle missing this year and I hope it returns (in whatever form?) really soon 😀🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Aftet every euro game bar 2 we won our next domestic games, and one of they two was collum fucking us at easter road

7 domestic wins out of 9 that followed up a euro game

4 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Great input. 

1-1 Draw with Livi at Ibrox and the following week we lost 2-1 away to St Johnstone then 1-1 with St Mirren with King and Sands as our only available CBs throughout that period. Davies came off injured in the Livi game and Goldson was out completely. 

My point stands. We were conceding to absolute dross and chucked away 7 points in 3 games. We were a shambles in defence. That's where the issue was. Beale took him to QPR because he knew he was getting a solid no nonsense defender. 

So the hearts and sheep home wins in between they dropped points don't count

On 08/02/2023 at 11:16, Somemightsay7 said:

Performances aside, we're actually doing better in the league this season than last, despite the bad start.

Last season we took 2.34 points per game, this season is 2.44 which is the same as celtic had last season.

celtic are doing far better this year though, taking 2.8 points per game, which is on track to be the best ever for a SPFL club.

To me our biggest issue is we've stagnated. For the last 2 summers we really needed to invest in those 2-3 top players who were going to bring the team up a level, but instead we've invested in a large number of similar (or worse) quality players. I don't know if the board assumed celtic weren't going to improve to the extent they did or if they just got it totally wrong. Add on our injuries, the CL hammerings and the goalkeeping mess then we were always going to struggle.

If you don't add better quality players than you already have then you'll go backwards as players get older, hit periods of poor form, struggle to maintain levels of motivation etc.

When is the last time we signed a player that was truly an increase in quality of what we already had? Probably a couple seasons ago at least.

Summer 2022. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2023 at 20:23, NorthernLights said:

Great depth player. Would come in when needed and be solid for the most part until the starter returned. We should be looking for better atm though 

He done a job. People forget the negatives when a player leaves/gets injured i.e the we should have kept katic calls