Comparing this season to last

5 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I’d say so aye, needs additions but I’d say beating the fenians twice (I’d imagine it would need to be us) would have us on a sound footing.

that’s not to say we don’t need additions but I don’t see the crazy overhaul that some think we need and will be disappointed we don’t replace 11 and 12 players 

We have 10 players out of contract in the summer, of which arguably 5 of them have been in our strongest first 11 (Morelos, Kent, Tillman, Jack (debatable), McGregor) and 8 of them have regularly played for us this season.

The average age of our back 5 will be 32.

We then have guys like Matondo, Roofe and McLaughlin all needing shifted and then 4-5 first team starters to replace the guys leaving.

Januarys been a start but there's still a lot of work to be done.

However unlikely the title may be I for one am not giving up until it becomes mathematically impossible. The final at the end of the month is huge as a victory for us will surely dent their confidence.

The squad is bloated and aging and while we will thank them for their service I can see around 8-10 either retiring or being forced to find new clubs. Apart from a keeper which we all know is a must I doubt that we need anything more than the addition of 2/3 quality additions in the outfield area. The January signings look very promising.

1 hour ago, The Specky Liar said:

The general consensus amongst the vast majority of the support is that we need to get rid of the vast majority of the squad so I'm curious as to what cracks have been papered over?

The cracks being that we mostly have a very average at best squad. Grinding out wins in most games under Beale is masking that fact even more than is evident 

4 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

Has any other governing body ever brought in VAR a quite sizeable way through a campaign like Scotland has this season ? Genuine question as I don’t know the answer 

it’s bizzare that in the same season you can have something as game changing in place for certain fixtures when it wasn’t available in others. If it’s in place at Easter road lundstrum stays on the pitch 

Sure at the time when it was announced there was other places it had happened previously ,

I agree its stupid but its not just here , half the fa cup games down south had it but other games didnt , might have been same in cup up here too actually 

9 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Sure at the time when it was announced there was other places it had happened previously ,

I agree its stupid but its not just here , half the fa cup games down south had it but other games didnt , might have been same in cup up here too actually 

It is. Even at stadiums that have it installed, both teams need to agree to share the costs of it for the game, so there's every chance it won't be active at Ibrox this weekend.

21 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

It is. Even at stadiums that have it installed, both teams need to agree to share the costs of it for the game, so there's every chance it won't be active at Ibrox this weekend.

It's farcical that some games in the cup will have it and some not. Only 3 ties out of 16 had it in the last round.

11 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Say it's 20 quid per ticket Then 10k = 500 tickets. Cost is a minor problem and outweighed by the benefit of having VAR. Somebody could be sickened if they are kicked out of the cup by a clearly offside goal.

Wee teams really don't expect to go through though. The money they get is far more important than a hypothetical offside goal.

47 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Can almost understand it in the cups where you have lower league and part time teams competing 

I just can’t see any logical reason why the SPFL decided it was a good idea for introduce it through a season rather than at the start 

36 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

So for 5k they risk missing out on a televised glamour tie. Makes no sense.

Aye it makes no sense. Would you gamble 5k on a highly improbable hypothetical outcome?

Have you considered var is just as likely to negatively impact that outcome?

Sound investment.

We’re in a better position in terms of coaching staff. General squad management has been criminal by Wilson so ridding him would be the best thing we could do.

Given 100+ points likely needed to win the league next year. We likely need (as starters) a gk, striker and upgrade for Sakala.

Sign Kent and Tillman. Move on Jack and probably find another CM.

Hope that Raskin is v good and all our injury prone players stay fit.

Our full backs need to eke out a good season despite being the wrong side of 30.

All with limited funds and no sellable assets. 

We need a window like the one pre Wilson where we got Goldson, Kamara, Barasic, Kent, Arfield, McGregor, Davis in like the same window. 4-5 players who all go on to be first team title winning quality. 

Of course celtic could drop off a cliff. Their manager could leave for starters. They’ve done a great job at moving on their older players. (Even cashing in on Juranovic). And they have almost two elevens it seems like of players hitting their prime. They don’t seem overly reliant on one or two players and their average squad age is several years below ours.

We were losing the lot to the scum until we got a competent manager in, just a pity we were so far behind in title race and now we'll do the double and finish the season in good shape, we'll be ready for another crack at the qualifiers, obviously we need a unlikely set of results over at the piggery and soon to have any chance at making the title race interesting.

2 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

We were losing the lot to the scum until we got a competent manager in, just a pity we were so far behind in title race and now we'll do the double and finish the season in good shape, we'll be ready for another crack at the qualifiers, obviously we need a unlikely set of results over at the piggery and soon to have any chance at making the title race interesting.

The beauty of being Rangers manager is being able to grind out wins when things aren’t going well/not the best squad.

walter done it when he came back under Murray in 2006/07. 

he got us competitive again and being able to win when up against it. Beale has done absolutely outstanding to be unbeaten still at this point 

6 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Beale has been near flawless.

The season hinges on the LC final though. Need to win that both because it's been so long since we have and to sow some doubt with them.

I’d say more the Scottish as it gives him around 5 months all in to put his mark on the team, but I think it’s fair to expect him to win the LC also 

19 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

The beauty of being Rangers manager is being able to grind out wins when things aren’t going well/not the best squad.

walter done it when he came back under Murray in 2006/07. 

he got us competitive again and being able to win when up against it. Beale has done absolutely outstanding to be unbeaten still at this point 

Couldn't agree more with that, hate coming back to Gio because he's a decent guy, in my head I blame him completely for where we are right now rightly or wrongly, I feel the advantage was handed back to the scum as easily as could be under him.

6 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Couldn't agree more with that, hate coming back to Gio because he's a decent guy, in my head I blame him completely for where we are right now rightly or wrongly, I feel the advantage was handed back to the scum as easily as could be under him.

It sounds extreme and dramatic to say but I genuinely think the writing was on the wall for Gio after that first game against them last February. Even with the Europa League final I don’t think he ever fully recovered from that and the seeds of doubt it put in supporters heads about his capability as a manager.

10 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It sounds extreme and dramatic to say but I genuinely think the writing was on the wall for Gio after that first game against them last February. Even with the Europa League final I don’t think he ever fully recovered from that and the seeds of doubt it put in supporters heads about his capability as a manager.

I agree and the final nail in coffin was the game against them in September when we capitulated again.