Rangers Youth

Sorry but I’m gonna add some more negativity to the board.

I see our U-19 side has just lost their latest game 6-1 against some Brazilian side, we’ve also lost 3-1 to Utrecht & lost 4-0 to Anderlecht.

3 games, 3 losses and pumped in every game.

Our B team is being managed by the two biggest jokers in Scottish Football David McCallum & Malky Thomson both of whom have failed year after year.

There don’t seem to be any players looking like making a breakthrough, other than Bailey Rice & potentially Zak Lovelace both of whom we’ve bought from other clubs rather than developed ourselves.

It wasn’t long ago we were heading to International tournaments and winning them, the likes of Alex Lowry, Kai Kennedy, McPake etc… actually looked really good.

These players have never progressed from that initial promise (even Lowry has been handled horrendously) and now the latest generations of kids are nowhere near even that level.

We have gone from winning the leagues of most age groups to getting pumped by the likes of Motherwell & Hibs never mind the tarriers.

Obviously winning tournaments isn’t everything, in youth football it’s about producing one maybe 2 standout youth players every year but having a winning team & ethos absolutely helps the better players develop.

Craig Mullholland is gone, this Zeb Jacobs seems forward thinking (yet not much actual proof of success) but the staff below him seem absolutely useless.

What is it that’s gone so wrong in our Youth setup? We’ve gone from people praising as one of the most forward thinking in European football to one getting destroyed every week across almost every age group!

Is it our scouting / recruitment of players when they are young? Or is it how we are developing them?

Either way something needs to change and quickly.

18 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

I see our U-19 side has just lost their latest game 6-1 against some Brazilian side, we’ve also lost 3-1 to Utrecht & lost 4-0 to Anderlecht.

Our B team is being managed by the two biggest jokers in Scottish Football David McCallum & Malky Thomson both of whom have failed year after year.

There don’t seem to be any players looking like making a breakthrough, other than Bailey Rice & potentially Zak Lovelace both of whom we’ve bought from other clubs rather than developed ourselves.

It wasn’t long ago we were heading to International tournaments and winning them, the likes of Alex Lowry, Kai Kennedy, McPake etc… actually looked really good.

These players have never progressed from that initial promise (even Lowry has been handled horrendously) and now the latest generations of kids are nowhere near even that level.

We have gone from winning the leagues of most age groups to getting pumped by the likes of Motherwell & Hibs never mind the tarriers.

Obviously winning tournaments isn’t everything, in youth football it’s about producing one maybe 2 standout youth players every year but having a winning team & ethos absolutely helps the better players develop.

Craig Mullholland is gone, this Zeb Jacobs seems forward thinking (yet not much actual proof of success) but the staff below him seem absolutely useless.

What is it that’s gone so wrong in our Youth setup? We’ve gone from people praising as one of the most forward thinking in European football to one getting destroyed every week across almost every age group!

Is it our scouting / recruitment of players when they are young? Or is it how we are developing them?

He was injured a lot last season. He’s now out on loan and playing at the third biggest club in the country. Not sure what else we could do with him tbh. 

31 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Who was the last player Rangers developed ourselves as you say?

27 minutes ago, Fergie_6 said:

Who was the last player Rangers developed ourselves as you say?

Well I wouldn’t count Patterson as he was still only a sub, although he may have gone onto be a starter, but I don’t think Gerrard/Gio/Beale would have dropped Tav.

I’m sure if Gilmour had stayed he would’ve gone on to start.

I mean the last two to actually become regular 1st team starters were Lewis MacLeod & Barrie McKay. McKay was taken in as a 16 year old so again we didn’t develop him and if anything his development under McCoist set his career back. MacLeod if we are honest probably wouldn’t have been given a chance in a SPFL version of Rangers.

So you are looking at the pre 3rd division teams the likes of Fleck, Ness, Wilson, Wylde, Hutton all made a fair few appearances but none were guaranteed starters.

Your then probably talking Charlie Adam as the last top flight guarenteed starter, McGregor & Hutton just before him.

3 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Well I wouldn’t count Patterson as he was still only a sub.

I mean the last two to actually become regular 1st team starters were Lewis MacLeod & Barrie McKay. McKay was taken in as a 16 year old so again we didn’t develop him and if anything his development under McCoist set his career back. MacLeod if we are honest probably wouldn’t have been given a chance in a SPFL version of Rangers.

So you are looking at the pre 3rd division teams the likes of Fleck, Ness, Wilson, Wylde, Hutton all made a fair few appearances but none were guaranteed starters.

Your then probably talking Charlie Adam as the last top flight guarenteed starter, McGregor & Hutton just before him.

The guaranteed starters will continue to be taken off our hands long before they can become guaranteed starters.

Gilmour, Patterson etc.

Rice if he’s good enough will likely be next.

It's all a bit of a disjointed mess from the outside imo.

You've got Jacobs who is now running the thing. He has gave highly rated Campbell a so called promotion from the u18 manager to now looking after the top talents(?).

There's McCallum and now Thomson in charge of the B team with the pair somehow still being employed despite past failures.

Gilmour was promoted of sorts to u18 manager and works along with Smith.

You've got u18s sometimes in the B team and B team sometimes with the 1st team depending on the week, with no clear pathway. 

Need to give Jacobs time but there is a huge issue with the transition between u18 and 1st team. B team, if there should be one, needs sorted out.

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Several. Mulholland being the obvious one and, dare I even say, Murty.

Fucking wild, eh? Bullet dodged in hindsight mind you.

I'm on the fence about Mulholland. Obviously highly rated when he took over but left and just went back to his buddy? 

Murty seems to be doing well at Sunderland.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

The guaranteed starters will continue to be taken off our hands long before they can become guaranteed starters.

Gilmour, Patterson etc.

Rice if he’s good enough will likely be next.

Not if they are 'started' they won't.

Why would a young player stay at Auchenhowie with no prospect of first team football, when he could sit at ANY EPL academy with no prospect of first team football on double the money?

Offering first team football to our best youth players is the only card we have to play to counter the big boys down south, we never play it.

Just now, bluenose244 said:

Why would a young player stay at Auchenhowie with no prospect of first team football, when he could sit at ANY EPL academy with no prospect of first team football on double the money?

Offering first team football to our best youth players is the only card we have to play to counter the big boys down south, we never play it.

We played it with King.

Just now, esquire8 said:

Possibly. King was the first one I seen that said 1st team opportunities were the reason for signing.

Mental that McPake is still here.

Dickson was the exact same. Spent months refusing a new deal - with his cunt of a dad taking shots at everyone at the club on twitter - got his debut at Falkirk then signed a new deal.

1 minute ago, DiamondDan said:

None of them have done anything of note in a Rangers Jersey, or much else in anyone else's jerseys. Mulholland's time had long since passed. 

So they weren't players who were developed at Rangers? Patterson was a full international who'd played at the Euros before leaving. If he wasn't developed at Rangers, which club was he developed at?

11 hours ago, bluenose244 said:

Fair point - no kid is ready at 16/17 though unless a generational talent.

14 hours ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Well I wouldn’t count Patterson as he was still only a sub, although he may have gone onto be a starter, but I don’t think Gerrard/Gio/Beale would have dropped Tav.

I’m sure if Gilmour had stayed he would’ve gone on to start.

Patterson a great example about how the short term thinking at our club means we’ll struggle to ever replicate the “Ajax model” or equivalents that get thrown around as the model to follow. 

A side like Ajax would’ve sold Tavernier when Patterson was ready, as Patterson had more upside and Tavernier would’ve reached his peak and been on the way down. But they are in a league with 3 sides who can win the title each year, which means you can not win it occasionally and it not be regarded as a complete failure.