Europa League/Conference 24/25

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

They are still minnows in relative terms so it's some achievement for both, I just feel that we see the same predictability with the Scottish teams in qualifying....we haven't been much better of late with the champions league mind you

One of them was playing red imps to qualify, the other some complete unknown team. Is good the diddy leagues have a chance of qualifying with the champions path mind you.Wonder what impact semi regular group stages for the champions will have on those lesser leagues, will be an astronomical amount of money for them.

4 hours ago, hammer93 said:

The fact that Larne & TNS have qualified for the group stages tells me everything about the level Scottish football is at, our league really is the pits

Don’t really get why anyone would use Larne or TNS as a measuring stick to beat Scottish teams with. 

Hearts eliminated by Plzen

St Mirren eliminated Brann

Kilmarnock eliminated by a Copenhagen and Tromso.

Rangers eliminated by Kyiv.

The Scottish team was nowhere near being the favourite in any of those ties. At best it’s a roll of a dice. Yeah, we should have done much better but that tie came at a horrible time for us… Larne would get absolutely smashed by all of them!

It’s a massive achievement for Larne and I do hope they ruffle afew feathers however unlikely that may be.

2 hours ago, Iakona said:

Don’t really get why anyone would use Larne or TNS as a measuring stick to beat Scottish teams with. 

The Scottish team was nowhere near being the favourite in any of those ties. At best it’s a roll of a dice. Yeah, we should have done much better but that tie came at a horrible time for us… Larne would get absolutely smashed by all of them!

It’s a massive achievement for Larne and I do hope they ruffle afew feathers however unlikely that may be.

Mate I saw enough of Plzen to tell me they were there for the taking, Copenhagen by the large didn't look up to much and St Mirren lost to Brann hardly a European powerhouse, on our own situation,  Kyiv will be the worst team we have faced in a qualification for a while, I think we all know it was a tie we should have came through,  if our board hadn't dithered and got us some decent investment we would have got through no problem 

5 hours ago, Iakona said:

What are you on about you absolute dose :lol:

Its embarrassing as fuck for Scottish football that Larne has managed to qualify ahead of the likes of the teams you’ve mentioned who have all been full time sides for the best part of their history’s. I mind Larne less than 10 years ago playing to crowds of about 30 people and they’ve just qualified against a side that had a winning result against the taigs in the last 10 years :lol:

Killie were beaten by both Linfield and Glentoran in last years pre season and Motherwell got dumped out of the conference league by Sligo Rovers 3-0 on aggregate a couple of years ago. Scottish football is the pits. It’s absolute garbage 

4 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Its embarrassing as fuck for Scottish football that Larne has managed to qualify ahead of the likes of the teams you’ve mentioned who have all been full time sides for the best part of their history’s. I mind Larne less than 10 years ago playing to crowds of about 30 people and they’ve just qualified against a side that had a winning result against the taigs in the last 10 years :lol:

Killie were beaten by both Linfield and Glentoran in last years pre season and Motherwell got dumped out of the conference league by Sligo Rovers 3-0 on aggregate a couple of years ago. Scottish football is the pits. It’s absolute garbage 

Pretty much this. It's embarassing tbh.

I watched the Hearts game and that team they were playing against were woeful, should have beaten them.

Same with Kiev, they were honking and we should have dealt with them with ease too.

Apart from us overachieving in recent years the standard of Scotiish clubs in Europe has been shambolic. It's basically only been us that's got any credible results in the past 5 or so years. 

We are being left behind now and the only reason the lot across the City are there is due to our results, nothing else.

Our league is a backwater 

Tell you what, the Europa League sides look a lot higher quality than they did 2-3 seasons ago. 

Fucking hell, as a pot 1 side we could genuinely get a harder 8 games than the tarriers have in the CL. Fuck knows how they got so lucky with theirs. 

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Is it?

The Conference league has existed for 3 seasons and Scottish teams have been in it every year, got an easier draw than Kilmarnock, and St Mirren, who both done well. Got pumped 7-0 by a team that Hearts beat home and away a couple of seasons ago.

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

I watched the Hearts game and that team they were playing against were woeful, should have beaten them.

Same with Kiev, they were honking and we should have dealt with them with ease too.

Apart from us overachieving in recent years the standard of Scotiish clubs in Europe has been shambolic. It's basically only been us that's got any credible results in the past 5 or so years. 

We are being left behind now and the only reason the lot across the City are there is due to our results, nothing else.

Our league is a backwater 

Hearts winning home and away in a group, Aberdeen getting 6 points in a tough group (beating Frankfurt and drawing away to PAOK), Kilmarnock going away and getting a win to qualify, then taking Copenhagen all the way.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Is it?

The Conference league has existed for 3 seasons and Scottish teams have been in it every year, got an easier draw than Kilmarnock, and St Mirren, who both done well. Got pumped 7-0 by a team that Hearts beat home and away a couple of seasons ago.

Yes and I clearly gave my reasons 

11 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Is it?

Hearts winning home and away in a group, Aberdeen getting 6 points in a tough group (beating Frankfurt and drawing away to PAOK), Kilmarnock going away and getting a win to qualify, then taking Copenhagen all the way.

Scottish clubs in general are pish in Europe. There's a reason our coefficient is pathetic despite us having been to the later knockout stages and a European final.

We alone have been the only club to do anything of note in Europe. 

Everyone outside of Scotland has us as a diddy nation for our game and it's true

10 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Yes and I clearly gave my reasons 

Using pre season results isn’t much of a reason though, Celtic beat and put 4 past City and Chelsea, does that make Scottish football better?

7 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Scottish clubs in general are pish in Europe. There's a reason our coefficient is pathetic despite us having been to the later knockout stages and a European final.

We alone have been the only club to do anything of note in Europe. 

Everyone outside of Scotland has us as a diddy nation for our game and it's true

Of course, Celtic have been an embarrassment, what can you realistically expect teams like Aberdeen, Hearts etc to do?

In the last three seasons, those two, St Mirren and Kilmarnock have all done relatively well in seasons, and had credible results.

8 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Mate I saw enough of Plzen to tell me they were there for the taking, Copenhagen by the large didn't look up to much and St Mirren lost to Brann hardly a European powerhouse, on our own situation,  Kyiv will be the worst team we have faced in a qualification for a while, I think we all know it was a tie we should have came through,  if our board hadn't dithered and got us some decent investment we would have got through no problem 

We would have gone through but for a horrendous red card decision.

On 30/08/2024 at 11:48, ForeverAndEver said:

Using pre season results isn’t much of a reason though, celtic beat and put 4 past City and Chelsea, does that make Scottish football better?

Of course, celtic have been an embarrassment, what can you realistically expect teams like Aberdeen, Hearts etc to do?

In the last three seasons, those two, St Mirren and Kilmarnock have all done relatively well in seasons, and had credible results.

Plzen were in the Quarter finals of the Conference the season before, Hearts looked shite but so did they. A shite Hearts actually looked in control for big stretches away in the first leg.

The reality is neither of those teams will pick up many coefficient points in the Europa, but both should be a good team in the Conference and at least make the knockouts (no doubt Hearts will implode). Do feel what the nation needs, and historically we've lacked, is a team like Hearts or Aberdeen to have regular group stage football where the money would be significant and they can grow to compete against these teams outside the top leagues. 

Kilmarnock shat the bed against the Belguims when there wasnt much between them. They were there for the taking and would of given them a much easier tie in the Conference playoffs. Bit unfortunate against Copenhagen, who they made look shit in the second leg, with the first leg apparently being a snorefest outside of a couple of lucky goals. Think Hearts drew them and imagine theyd be content with that draw.

On 30/08/2024 at 04:53, hammer93 said:

The point is that all the teams who beat the Scottish sides are objectively of a higher standard than the teams Larne played. Larne knocked out a team from Kosovo and one from Gibraltar after getting thumped out of the CL qualifiers 7-0 on agg by a Latvian team(whom coincidently went on to lose 7-1 to a Norwegian team after beating Larne) 

Brann don’t need to be a European powerhouse… they finished 2nd in the Norwegian league, have more financial muscle and can easily be considered a bigger team than St Mirren. There was really no reason to expect St Mirren to win that tie. Plzen and Copenhagen might have not been at their best… but they are still teams of a good standard from a respectable level of football which is equal to or in most cases better than the SPL outside of us and the mhanks.

Its apples and oranges. The champions path has always been considered the weaker of the two. It’s like saying Canada qualifying for the World Cup reflects poorly on Sweden, when in reality Canada just had an easier route.

33 minutes ago, Iakona said:

The point is that all the teams who beat the Scottish sides are objectively of a higher standard than the teams Larne played. Larne knocked out a team from Kosovo and one from Gibraltar after getting thumped out of the CL qualifiers 7-0 on agg by a Latvian team(whom coincidently went on to lose 7-1 to a Norwegian team after beating Larne) 

Brann don’t need to be a European powerhouse… they finished 2nd in the Norwegian league, have more financial muscle and can easily be considered a bigger team than St Mirren. There was really no reason to expect St Mirren to win that tie. Plzen and Copenhagen might have not been at their best… but they are still teams of a good standard from a respectable level of football which is equal to or in most cases better than the SPL outside of us and the mhanks.

Its apples and oranges. The champions path has always been considered the weaker of the two. It’s like saying Canada qualifying for the World Cup reflects poorly on Sweden, when in reality Canada just had an easier route.

Tbf Larne knocked out balikani who were Europa league qualifiers and conference league the year before that. They have beat sivaspor of turkey and drew with cluj and in the Europa league beat dinamo Zagreb and got a draw with Astana and lost narrowly to plzen twice 

59 minutes ago, RM Monitor And Standards Officer said:

Tbf Larne knocked out balikani who were Europa league qualifiers and conference league the year before that. They have beat sivaspor of turkey and drew with cluj and in the Europa league beat dinamo Zagreb and got a draw with Astana and lost narrowly to plzen twice 

Yeah Balikani have had some really good success stories recently, but it appears they’ve had a hard time keeping their better players. Over half of the players in the line ups that beat Zagreb and narrowly lost to Plzen last season have moved on.(seems the Romanian and Bulgarian teams in particular have been chipping away at them over the last 2 summer windows)

Like I said in my first post… I think it’s a fantastic achievement for Larne. I’m really trying my best not to discredit that.. I just don’t think it’s a very fair measuring stick that’s all.

3 hours ago, Iakona said:

OK....you make a fair point about the champions route but in recent years Motherwell lost home & away to a league of Ireland side and Kilmarnock were knocked out by the Welsh minnows Connagh keys nomads

Those two examples alone in recent times just back up the point how poor our league has become when competing in Europe 

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

OK....you make a fair point about the champions route but in recent years Motherwell lost home & away to a league of Ireland side and Kilmarnock were knocked out by the Welsh minnows Connagh keys nomads

Those two examples alone in recent times just back up the point how poor our league has become when competing in Europe 

It's quays mate but a lot of their players do keys 🤣🤣🤣