Alan McGregor

Boab

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...poor as a footballer (in terms of starting moves).

I've thought that about him. Seems over critical but I think it's an important part of the game.

I'm sure this season alone occasional his throw outs have led to goals where Rangers have had a quick counter attack because of it.

It annoys me how people have been talking about this mistake that McGregor is going to make since day one. He's been number one for about a year now and he still hasn't made a serious error thats cost us points yet!

Easter Road - failed to get a cross and the Hibs boy headered right over him last season.

Sebo made it 2-1. So McGregor's error lost us a draw.

Failed to get a cross? You mean failed to come for it presumably. I'm not sure he could have if you watch it from the touchline angle. Poor marking was the reason Killen was able to power the header in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBvsO8ci6Y

He's a good shot stopper.

That's all.

Not good at crosses, poor as a footballer (in terms of starting moves).

One injury and Roy Carroll will take his place and keep it.

I agree, he's probably the best keeper we have at the moment though.

His positional sense is also pretty bad, he needs to learn to stay on his line. The number of goals he shipped last season because of poor positioning is unbelievable (e.g Rankin's goal in the Inverness game, where he was about 5 yards off his line and the ball looped over him from 30 yards. <cr> Also, Killen's first goal in the 2-1 game at Easter Road, both of Dundee Utd's goals in the 2-1 game at Tannadice, and obviously the most famous one is the blunder against Celtic (1-1))

I suppose some of his close-range stops made up for it though. But I still don't think he's much better than average. His performance last season was over-rated due to the Letizi situation. If McGregor had still been playing for Dunfermline, nobody would have uttered a god damn word about his performances.

His ability at crosses is definitely improving, but it's his positioning at times which worries me most.

Failed to get a cross? You mean failed to come for it presumably. I'm not sure he could have if you watch it from the touchline angle. Poor marking was the reason Killen was able to power the header in.

You're right about the poor marking, but McGregor should have saved it. Even the best defenders in the world make mistakes sometimes, so he should have been prepared for the header. Maybe he would have saved it if he wasn't several yards off his line (which again meant the ball went over him.)

Klos - good shot stopper, but totally lacking in terms of kicking, punching, throwing..all round distribution. And he seemed superglued to his line a lot of the time.

As you can tell, I wasn't as impressed with Klos as others were. The decent defence he had in front of him at the time helped him a lot.

You're right about the poor marking, but McGregor should have saved it. Even the best defenders in the world make mistakes sometimes, so he should have been prepared for the header. Maybe he would have saved it if he wasn't several yards off his line (which again meant the ball went over him.)

The second goal...right? Killen powered it past him from six yards...he had no chance of saving it. The ball did not go over him at all, it crossed the line at about six feet high, it went past him into the corner. He could have come for it ( though looking at the touchline angle I don't blame him for not ) but you can't surely blame him for not stopping the header?

Oh, right, I thought we were talking about the first one.

Klos - good shot stopper, but totally lacking in terms of kicking, punching, throwing..all round distribution. And he seemed superglued to his line a lot of the time.

As you can tell, I wasn't as impressed with Klos as others were. The decent defence he had in front of him at the time helped him a lot.

His poor kicking/throwing/distribution wasn't a problem though as it never cost us goals. Decent defence? Maybe better than the shite we had last season, but he still had to put up with a lot of diddies (Wilson, Amoruso, Konterman etc.)

His poor kicking/throwing/distribution wasn't a problem though as it never cost us goals. Decent defence? Maybe better than the shite we had last season, but he still had to put up with a lot of diddies (Wilson, Amoruso, Konterman etc.)

Has McGregor's kicks or throws ever cost us goal? I think not. Klos' inate lack of ability in terms of coming off his line for a cross DID cost us an extreme amount of goals IMO.

McGregor may flap at a few, but he nearly always gets something on it. And to this day, he has never cost us a goal.

McGregor is a good shot stopper but he needs to work on his catching/coming for crosses and decision making. His positioning at times is poor and his distribution needs to improve.

Carrying a wee knock so it will be interesting to see who is in the g's come saturday?

McGregor is a good shot stopper but he needs to work on his catching/coming for crosses and decision making. His positioning at times is poor and his distribution needs to improve.

Carrying a wee knock so it will be interesting to see who is in the g's come saturday?

Evening Times indicates he should be fit to play against Kilmarnock.

Has McGregor's kicks or throws ever cost us goal? I think not. Klos' inate lack of ability in terms of coming off his line for a cross DID cost us an extreme amount of goals IMO.

McGregor may flap at a few, but he nearly always gets something on it. And to this day, he has never cost us a goal.

I never suggested McGregor's kicks or throws had cost us goals, I think his distribution is fine. All I'm saying is I'd rather have a goalkeeper with Klos's weaknesses than McGregor's. And by the way, he cost us goals when he came for crosses against Celtic (1-1) and Kilmarnock (2-2). In the Kilmarnock game he wasn't solely to blame because the marking was terrible, but he still came for the ball and made no contact whatsoever, so he has to take some of the blame. There's been a few similar incidents since then which (thankfully, and luckily) didn't result in goals, so it's definitely something he needs to work on. It can't put much confidence in the defenders, that's for sure.

I have to say that I am astonished by this thread. I think Allan McGregor has done very very well.

He was a huge Asset to Dunfermline when on loan to them. He has since come back and done a quality job between the sticks for us. He made the position his own despite PLG favouring Letizi and has continued to improve.

he has never let us down which is praise indeed considering the same cannot be said for more fashionable keepers like Gordon and Boruc. he has on occassion saved us from defeats.

People should get off his back and look elsewhere in the team for deficiencies,

I would take Allan McGregor over Craig Gordon every time. Having said all that.... if someone offered 9 million for him then I suppose I would take the money :-)

He was a bit suspect at crosses last yar, but thats because we had no cunt jumping up for headers, we had a small squad, and the ball went over their heads and mcgregor had to make a swipe for it.

This season he'll understand his positioning a bit better now with the tall lads in the squad.

I thought AM did all right last season despite our defensive issues. He seems to be a very consistent keeper and I can't recall that many individual mistakes he has made that he is to blame for. That’s a sign of a decent keeper. (tu)