Why don't we have a feeder club like other big clubs?

Boab

Even 'they' have...

CELTIC have agreed to form a partnership with KV Oostende which will see up to three of the Scottish champions' reserve and youth team players loaned out to the Belgian second division side each season.

The agreement is similar to the one which has been in place for several years between Manchester United and Royal Antwerp and, more recently, between Blackburn Rovers and Cercle Bruges.

http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=8...p;id=1301342007 - Here is the link if you are interested

Surely if we were friends with a European club with a different style of football and culture then this may improve our Murray Park prospects as players and people by sending some out on loan and also enhance our reputation throughout europe at the same time?

Guest The Brown Brogue

I think we looked into this kind of thing with Northern Spirit and Shenzeng (?) and it wasn't financially viable.

To be honest you're as well sending out your young kids on loan anyway, no real need for a feeder club.

As for the work permit thing, I don't think it makes much difference in Scotland whether a young player is playing in europe or not to whether they get a work permit or not.

Not too bothered to be honest about having a feeder club unless it was with someone like Arsenal, Barca, AC Milan or Real Madrid, I'd rather our young guns went out on loan to a lower Scottish/English team than abroad. No point in sending them abrod to a totally different style of football.

Doubt ra selik will really benefit from this, that team are p*sh and I'd imagine that the majority of their players will be aswell.

It's not so much a "feeder club" that we need IMO.

It's more case of us striking up a partnership with a lower league club, perhaps one with financial constrants who struggle to sign players off of their own backs and offering them the best of our young talent on long loan deals.

IMO it's the best thing we can do and more should be done to ensure that it happens.

The football is nowhere near as demanding as it is at SPL level. However it almost acts as work experience and gives the players a chance to get a feel of what first team football is really like. It's like saying to a young joiner working for a multinational company: "you can continue to be an apprentice here, or you can go to this smaller company for a little while and get more responsibility and more of a feel for what it's like to be the top dog"

It could also help them gain a more humble approach towards the game. Playing on a wet night in Montrose might just make them see and appreciate just how great an opportunity it is to be a part of a club like RFC. It could also act as a bit of a harsh reality check about what could happen if you don't show the right mind set/attitude.

Craig Levein did something like this with Gary Kenneth last year after he was linked with Chelsea. It went to his head and affected his performances, so he sent him to Cowdenbeath to help knock him down a peg or two

Why couldn't we do something the same? Perhaps then we would see some appreciation and proper application from guys like Burke as a direct result of this.

We have seen what loan spells have done for players like Adam and McGregor in the recent past, so let's think about what a positive affect it could have on players like Lennon and Fleck.

I think I'd rather have a reserve team playing in the lower leagues.

This has been mooted recently both at Rangers and SFA level...

Has it? I think it would be beneficial to have the reserves playing real competitive football.

I think I'd rather have a reserve team playing in the lower leagues.

This has been mooted recently both at Rangers and SFA level...

Would be a win win situation, our young players getting reasonably competitive games and the lower league teams probably quadrupling their attendances and giving their players experience of playing in front of bigger crowds and the financial rewards brought to these clubs.

We need half of our good younger players on the bench to fulfill the U21 rule so we wouldn't be able to send the best ones anywhere. We have great training facilities that smaller teams won't have. We can always send them on loan like we did with Adam.

We need half of our good younger players on the bench to fulfill the U21 rule so we wouldn't be able to send the best ones anywhere. We have great training facilities that smaller teams won't have. We can always send them on loan like we did with Adam.

I think your right, no point sending them out too belgium etc. if the quality of the play isn't that high and if the coaching/training facilities arent that great - unless we can find a balance then we'd be better off keeping them at MP or just sending them to a scottish 2nd/3rd div team

So, maybe Partick Thistle or Hamilton?

I asked the club secretary about a loan link with Rangers a couple of weeks back.

He said the reserves would have to be able to slot straight into the side, and he seems to think at the current time they can't.

We're top of the 1st division at the moment with a young side who play a passing game and have a superb wee winger in Mark Gilhaney.

The Rangers kids would do well to get some first team football with Accies playing football the proper way.

He did say Accies have a good relationship with Rangers - played a few friendlies at Murray Park etc. So although being a feeder club is unlikely, it is likely that if any loan link happened with any club in Scotland, it'd be with Accies.

So, maybe Partick Thistle or Hamilton?

TBO I don't like the idea of that. Clubs like that should be independant sporting institutions and I think if I were a fan I'd be insulted to be anyone's feeder club.