* The Generic Laugh at celtc Thread *

dummiesoot

• Replies 50.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find funny about septic is that there are no Kelts in Ireland. They've got that one totally wrong. In a CH4 program about the Kelts a few years back, the 4 part series finished with genetically testing anyone that could trace their ancestors as far back as great, great grand parents, or what ever it was. It's regarded as a good time limit to do the test due to lack of transport in history.

The findings where that the Irish are not related to the Kelts, so even their name is a lie. :pipe::thumbup::pipe::thumbup::pipe::thumbup::pipe:(tu) (tu) (tu)

What I find funny about septic is that there are no Kelts in Ireland. They've got that one totally wrong. In a CH4 program about the Kelts a few years back, the 4 part series finished with genetically testing anyone that could trace their ancestors as far back as great, great grand parents, or what ever it was. It's regarded as a good time limit to do the test due to lack of transport in history.

The findings where that the Irish are not related to the Kelts, so even their name is a lie. :pipe::thumbup::pipe::thumbup::pipe::thumbup::pipe:(tu) (tu) (tu)

I think this is true, actually. The Irish have heavy genetic links to the Basque who are reckoned to be the oldest indigenous people in Europe. (predating Indo-European language speakers - the Celts included) I believe the Basque (are thought to belong to an earlier western European people of the neolithic, mesolithic or paleolithic era (there are disagreements over which) and that the Irish may essentially be part of this same Atlantic people. The results come from the similarity between these people of a Y-chromosome which is thought to have entered Europe in prehistory and which the Celts don't have. The Irish, Basque and Portuguese all have a high percentage of it and nobody else does in quite such a percentage, although the western French, Welsh and Scots have it in significant numbers too.

Celtic culture did not arrive until the bronze age iron age. It looks like from genetics the Indo-European Celts did not migrate into Basque and Irish areas significantly hence their more ancient DNA profile. Some aspects of culture (language included in the case of the Irish - I think their language is described as Celtic) may have been adopted though.

That's how I remember it anyway.

There was a Roman excavation in Ireland and they found a stone with the inscription Antonius Stokus Mater Est Auntius. Think they are all inbred and haven't mated with humans outside their own race.

Inigo: I agree with what most of you say as regards the peoples origins, but their use of Keltic culture and art stem from them invading Wales in the 11-12th centuries, that's why everyone thinks they are Keltic, but they ain't.

I still can't send links to this site but it's still available on the CH4 archives site if your interested. It's pretty convincing stuff.

Archived