Sunday Mail Columunist focuses on Walter and the Lyon match

Boab

Bears Will Growl If Lyons Roar

Dec 9 2007 Gordon Waddell

Time For Walter To Stick The Tin Hat On

WALTER SMITH has been back in the job 11 months. You would defy anyone to say he hasn't turned Rangers on their head.

If he doesn't take the point he needs from Lyon on Wednesday, though? Listen for the bears starting to growl.

Fickle? You bet. But that's what the Ibrox boss is up against.

Despite putting them in with a chance of the title, despite getting them into the Champions League, none of it will matter if Rangers don't join Celtic in the last 16. Because that's what he's up against. Not just Lyon. A yardstick.

A yardstick they will beat Smith over the head with if he doesn't measure up.

Forget the fact it's less than seven weeks since he was hailed a master for holding Barcelona at home. Defeat here is failure. Welcome back to the real Old Firm. Where your achievements are never just measured as achievements. They're valued against what the other side do.

For the past few years it hasn't been a contest. Now we'll see their true colours.

You have to congratulate Celtic. And I'm not buying the "only got through because Benfica did them a turn" line.

How many times do we say a league is won over 38 games not 90 minutes? So how come a Champions League group isn't judged the same way? Celtic earned nine points. It was enough. End of story.

Although I did laugh when Sky's man in Milan put it to Gordon Strachan that Celtic had emerged from the Group of Death. Tough as it was, they were playing against the teams who finished fourth, third and second in their leagues.

Rangers have a greater right to claim they're playing on the Grim Reaper's patch against the champions of Germany, France and La Liga runners-up Barcelona.

But none of it will wash for the punters. Gers put themselves in the driving seat with seven points from their first nine thanks to a combination of brilliance, sheer doggedness and a few breaks.

But they raised the bar on themselves. Now they have to clear it.

Which won't be easy. Lyon's recent form has been stunning. They've won nine, drawn with Barcelona and lost to Marseille. In that run they've scored 30 goals, 13 coming in their five away games.

Rangers only need a point though. They've also had 10 days to prepare. That's not right either. Cancelling the Gretna game is the thin end of the wedge because every Champions League game is crucial. If we start down this road we will be playing the league season into July.

But that's for another day. Gers can only think about Lyon just now and they are going into the game without a lot of pace. Jean-Claude Darcheville, Nacho Novo and DaMarcus Beasley are all out injured.

Which means they're going to have to do it the hard way. And Rangers need inspiration. If ever there was a night to prove Ibrox can match Parkhead as a cauldron this is it.

If you want to talk yardsticks, Celtic's home record can be held up against anyone's and there's a reason for that.

The one thing I'm praying Gers do this week is bin their daft card displays. I've never known a player who was intimidated or inspired by the sight of a pretty picture when they walk out.

What needs to hit them is a wall of noise. That's what makes Parkhead so special on these nights. It's like a shuttle launch when the music starts.

But if everyone is occupied with a sheet of A3 the decibel count drops. Ditch them and put the fear of God into Lyon. Inspire your men. Lift them. Fill them. Do that and you might just get what you need.

What we all need. Two Scottish teams in the last 16 of Europe's elite. But if it ends up as one, ridiculous though it is, Walter should get his crash helmet on. He will be in for a bumpy ride.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/opinion/column...78057-20224842/

Although I did laugh when Sky's man in Milan put it to Gordon Strachan that Celtic had emerged from the Group of Death. Tough as it was, they were playing against the teams who finished fourth, third and second in their leagues.

Finally, someone telling it like it is

He has a point about the card displays. Let the noise out!

I never saw the card displays as a way of trying to intimidate the opposition but rather as a way of the fans showing our pride in our club and showing all who may be watching how we feel. Theres no reason why we can't have the card displays AND make a lot of noise, the two are not mutually exclusive!

:rangers:

I hope he isn't speaking for all of us, at the group stage draw I'd have bitten your hand off to be in the position we're in.

I couldn't give a fuck about them lot, it has no effect on us so I really really really couldn't care less.

Either way, Walter's turned a shite squad around in an amazingly short time, brought in players who've mostly done the business and gelled together quickly and decently, and made us a decent side who can give ANY team a run for their money.

I've got a lot of time for Walter. Saying the worst does happen against Lyon (which it won't), whilst the pessimists whinge and moan, I'll be remembering our last 3 games against Celtic (tu).

I can see the fans being disappointed if we lose on Wednesday.

However whereas tactics or players may well be criticised, I cannot see the fans turning on Walter. This really is the group of death. When 1st drawn I could only see us with a maximum of 5 or six points.

As I see it our biggest problem is that playing Barca back to back has completely killed our momentum, so I think it's imperative that we get the first goal on Wednesday because an early Lyon goal would only reinforce the impression that we are now dead in the water after a good start