No replacement for Cousin?

Ibroxblue

The Rangers manager seems comfortable about operating without an incoming replacement for the striker. "We might just manage to do that," he said.

"We have a squad of 27 here and quite a number of them are forwards. They are doing all right for us. The only way I'll bring somebody in in the longer term is if I feel they can improve the squad. It is not easy to do that in the January transfer window."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...ong_goodbye.php

Would be a mistake not to bring in a replacement imho. We'll see.

We do have Darcheville, Boyd, McCulloch, Naismith, Buffel, Gow and Novo all capable of playing in advanced positions.

Having said that, I would like to see us bring in someone else.

We've been playing one central striker. Not sure how many of the forwards we have can do that well. JCD maybe but he's rarely fit. I doubt if anyone can do it as well as Cousin and it would be a major risk to change our formation now.

We've been playing one central striker. Not sure how many of the forwards we have can do that well. JCD maybe but he's rarely fit. I doubt if anyone can do it as well as Cousin and it would be a major risk to change our formation now.

Maybe McCulloch?

Although I do agree, it is a massive risk.

We do have Darcheville, Boyd, McCulloch, Naismith, Buffel, Gow and Novo all capable of playing in advanced positions.

:lol: Sorry, found that funny. I apologise. Didn't think you'd still say we needed someone I suppose after listing so many folk.

In saying that, I'm unsure.

We do have Darcheville, Boyd, McCulloch, Naismith, Buffel, Gow and Novo all capable of playing in advanced positions

Darchy- Injury prone, hardly a goal scorer.

Boyd- Have to change formation, do the management rate him?

McCulloch- I see him as a striker, with Thomson out I see him back in midfield.

Naisy- Out wide or up front.

Buffel- Can't see him playing, especially if the clause is true.

Gow- who?

Novo- (tu)

:lol: Sorry, found that funny. I apologise. Didn't think you'd still say we needed someone I suppose after listing so many folk.

There is doubts about most of the players listed though due to injuries, being out of favour and a lack of quality.

There is doubts about most of the players listed though due to injuries, being out of favour and a lack of quality.

Good point

We do have Darcheville, Boyd, McCulloch, Naismith, Buffel, Gow and Novo all capable of playing in advanced positions

Darchy- Injury prone, hardly a goal scorer.

Boyd- Have to change formation, do the management rate him?

McCulloch- I see him as a striker, with Thomson out I see him back in midfield.

Naisy- Out wide or up front.

Buffel- Can't see him playing, especially if the clause is true.

Gow- who?

Novo- (tu)

Well now ye put it that way Muff? :craphead:

Ps. The Who was a band but not as good as TOTO

"Rangers haven't come in for Luke in terms of a bid, but Walter Smith asked me about him and that's as far as it's gone," he said.

Watty obviously thought Cousin might leave or he wouldn't of asked about Moore. I'm sure we'll bring someone in.

I think he's pretty much known from the start Muff.

It all looks to have been geared up for us to buy him in, use him as much as possible and punt him in the transfer window for his Premiership dream and our financial gain.

I'm happy enough with that arrangement too. The question now comes as to a replacement, but, if as alluded to above, that Walter was playing Cousin to get him noticed as well as doing a job for us, does that also mean that Boyd isn't unfancied as so many on here think but more he had to sit it out until this deal had went through....

If the right players are not available, I still think we have enough pull within the squad to bring home number 52.

The thing is that Wattie plays with 2 wide men and a lone striker.

BOYD CAN'T PLAY LONE STRIKER.

He relies on quality crosses and if our wingers are having an off day Boyd cannot suply for himself or make goals himself or run onto through balls.When will people get this "king Kris" out of their heads.

Walter doesn't play him cos he's not good enough to start cos he doesn't fit into the system.

Good bench player if we are struggling and go for 2 up top but apart from that he is a bench player and if he wants to succeed at rangers he will have to accept that or work on other aspects of his game the way Hutton did.

Trying to read Walter is almost impossible, the f*cker must good at poker.

But what i take from his comments is that although he would love to bring in a replacement for Cousin right away, he acknowledges that January is a bad time to find the right guy for the job. Its full of journey-men, mercenaries and failures and rarely (but possible) can you unearth a gem.

His approach is reassuring to me. He would love to sign someone, and if he can find the guy he thinks will improve us he will go for him - if not he has the confidence in his players to see out the campaign....rather than buy another Egil or Nuno. ^_^

Sky Sports news....a bit about Fleck too:

Walter Smith is confident of coping without Daniel Cousin should he move to Fulham - but the Rangers manager has refused to rule out signing a new striker.

Cousin headed for Craven Cottage to discuss personal terms on Tuesday and looks set to fulfil his ambition of playing in the Premier League after both clubs agreed a fee of £3million.

The switch south could pave the way for the arrival of Aston Villa striker Luke Moore with former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill ready to let the player leave Villa Park if Rangers meet an asking price of £3.5million.

Smith now has nine days to weigh up his options and decide whether to make any use of the transfer window.

"I might just manage to get by with the players we have here," said the Rangers boss.

Improve

"We have a squad of 27 and a lot of them are forwards and they are doing all right for us.

"Even if we lost someone, the only way I would bring somebody in for the long term is if I feel they can improve the position.

"It's not easy to do that in the January transfer window."

One striker likely to feature in Wednesday's Scottish Cup fourth-round tie against East Stirling is youngster John Fleck.

The 16-year-old - nephew of former Rangers and Scotland forward Robert Fleck - is set to become the youngest player to pull on the light blue jersey since Derek Ferguson back in 1984.

Smith said: "Fleck won't start the game. He has been involved in the early part of the season but we felt it was better to let him settle down.

"He will play early for us, though. Sometimes some of the lads who come into the squad do so because of the Under-21 ruling but he is one who will be involved in our team. :)

Searching

"I don't know so much about this season but at some point and, depending on how the game goes, hopefully he can get a run-out (on Wednesday night).

"He deserves it. When he comes and trains with the first team he looks like a good player."

Roy Carroll could also feature as his return south of the border remains on hold with Rangers searching for a replacement goalkeeper.

Derby were keen to recruit the former Manchester United and West Ham stopper, while Sunderland's Darren Ward remains a target for Rangers.

Smith said: "We are having a problem getting another goalie and as soon as I get one, Roy can leave.

"He is still here. We had initially agreed the Darren Ward move but we are having a little bit of a problem with that, although it is not finished we will just have to wait and see."

If it allows Boyd to come in and get a good run in the team, then maybe it's a good thing.... lazy or not he is still the best goal scorer in scotland.

I'd quite like to see Luke Moore come though, Darcheville is a little too injury prone for my liking which means an extra striker could be needed.

If it allows Boyd to come in and get a good run in the team, then maybe it's a good thing.... lazy or not he is still the best goal scorer in scotland.

I'd quite like to see Luke Moore come though, Darcheville is a little too injury prone for my liking which means an extra striker could be needed.

it would be great if Boyd got the chance and succeeded. I think he has been a victim of the persistant one up front system we have been playing....its a vicious cycle you dont get regular games so your sharpness goes down and when you do get a rare game you are not sharp and its used as an excuse to drop you again...tough one

Not much other teams in the world would leave their top scorer for the past two seasons on the bench .... it's good we have more depth to the team now but we could be wasting a great talent by leaving him out in the cold.