In memory of Davie Cooper 25th February 1956 - 23rd March 1995

Coopermania

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember travelling from Inverness to see us lose at Clydebank, St Mirren, Motherwell, Dundee & even celtc

Can remember being at a 0-0 with Clydebank at Ibrox too.

Character building stuff. (tu)

Ever watched gettin beat wae Chesterfield mate ? :lw: Thats character buildin stuff ! ;):sherlock:

Aye, the old school was some school to go to eh?? Made us what we are now though. (tu)

blue you are right the old school was fantastic, and its a honour to have been part of it. :rangers:

I can remember travelling from Inverness to see us lose at Clydebank, St Mirren, Motherwell, Dundee & even celtc

Ever watched gettin beat wae Chesterfield mate ? :lw: Thats character buildin stuff ! ;):sherlock:

Aye, the old school was some school to go to eh?? Made us what we are now though. (tu)

blue you are right the old school was fantastic, and its a honour to have been part of it. :rangers:

One day Minst these guys will be the old school if they listen carefully ! ;):sherlock:

Davie Cooper and Jim Baxter were probably the most talented guys ever to pull the blue jersey on.

It would be nice to think of them sitting somewhere arguing about horse racing or whose goal was better. :rangers:

Brilliant Eric, they did like a bet !! Can you imagine a Rangers team with them both in ? That would be something !!

One day Minst these guys will be the old school if they listen carefully ! ;):sherlock:

If you preach, I listen :D

Wish I'd seen Coop play... what a player!

Me, my two brothers and our wives, my two girls, mum and dad, payed our homage to Coop on this day. We first went to our home club, Clydebank, and said a few words, the tears were already flowing by the time we layed our flowers. Next to Ibrox. You know I'll never forget the feeling I had walking up to his shrine, I was bawling but so were so many others, we layed our tributes and wept, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction reading the other supporters tributes, they recalled memories I had forgotten and instances of his brilliance that I took for granted, after a while we decided it was time to leave, and with my hand on my heart, as I turned towards the main stand on our way towards the car I heard from either my imagination or my memory the famous Davie song coming down from the stand, " Davie oh Davie Cooper oh Davie Cooper on the wing" cry, you wouldn't believe it. There has been and only will be one Davie Cooper.

Me, my two brothers and our wives, my two girls, mum and dad, payed our homage to Coop on this day. We first went to our home club, Clydebank, and said a few words, the tears were already flowing by the time we layed our flowers. Next to Ibrox. You know I'll never forget the feeling I had walking up to his shrine, I was bawling but so were so many others, we layed our tributes and wept, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction reading the other supporters tributes, they recalled memories I had forgotten and instances of his brilliance that I took for granted, after a while we decided it was time to leave, and with my hand on my heart, as I turned towards the main stand on our way towards the car I heard from either my imagination or my memory the famous Davie song coming down from the stand, " Davie oh Davie Cooper oh Davie Cooper on the wing" cry, you wouldn't believe it. There has been and only will be one Davie Cooper.

Jim, this is crazy. Ive just read that on the Davie site, no kidding.

On the day Davie died me, my wife, daughters, brothers and parents were totally stunned. The male members, by watching him week in week out, knew what a special talent he was, both on the field and off it, and through the stories we told them, the females of our family knew what he meant to us and in their own way loved him to.

We went to Kilbowie park and layed our floral tribute, we left for Ibrox and on our arrival we couldn't believe our eyes, flowers everywhere and scarves from loads of teams including our greatest rivals. I had lost it by this time but as true as I write this, I turned away from his shrine towards the main stand and I heard, Davie oh Davie Cooper, oh Davie Cooper on the wing coming down from the empty stand. It was maybe in my mind that I heard this but i'm not afraid to tell anyone who'll listen, the man had and still has a very special place in my heart,

God bless Coop.

We'll never forget you.

Fan: Jim Mckinlay

Well mate you know how the sentiment builds up, every year passes and although the memories may pass they will never fade. Unfortunately I have lost a few family members since Coop died and the timing of their passing has come close to the time of his demise. Makes you wonder doesn't it. We are all gers supporters and have our favourite players, however you can be assured my brothers and I have made sure our siblings will always know of, and remember, Davie Cooper.

Sorry to hear that Jim :( I will remove it now if you want.

No danger mate, we're all one big family and we should all "follow follow" on.

Guest Andypendek

i'm not watching those videos. i did this a year ago and i was bawling my eyes out.

to those of you who were too young to see davie cooper play. its hard to explain without sounding like an old bastard moaning.

i started going to ibrox when i was about 13 with my uncle, be about 84. if i give you some names from the teams that we had, you probably won't know many of them THAT well, they were ok but not rangers legends. walker in goal. burns, RB, i liked him but how many people under 30 have even heard of shuggie? munro you might know. craig paterson, well, i shall refrain from my usual litany of abuse. mcpherson was alright. redford? bell? iain ferguson? john macdonald? god almighty, some of the players we gave a chance to...stuart beattie? eric ferguson?

it was a time of utter bleakness, the only thing i can remember thinking was a positive was that the 'new firm' were being successful, in any other era 'they' would have been all conquering. but out of this darkness there was one player, one man. his presence, the chance of seeing him in actual real life (remember there wasn't that much live TV until about 1988), the chance of some of the stuff you'd only read about in the papers happening before your eyes...we'd all heard of the great brazilians, the dutch masters. david cooper was their equal. he really was that good. he alone was enough to ensure that you fetched up at the old multi coloured ibrox thinking that there was a chance of victory.

you saved rangers, davie, and you saved me, too. its not too much to say that i loved you, and even tho i find myself a rapidly widening 37 year old with worries over children and mortgage payments, if i click on those videos i know i'll be 15 again, in the west enclosure, utterly convinced that my hero will be able to turn the tide single handedly and win the day for the rangers.

i know this is overly sentimental and must seem ridiculous to those who didn't see the man playing. all i can say is....he really was that good.

Just got in and read these - on my way back out in an instant again, but have to say there are some very moving words in here.

Davie was simply a legend and a ray of light in a period when the sky was often overcast. RIP Davie - we shall never forget you.

i'm not watching those videos. i did this a year ago and i was bawling my eyes out.

to those of you who were too young to see davie cooper play. its hard to explain without sounding like an old bastard moaning.

i started going to ibrox when i was about 13 with my uncle, be about 84. if i give you some names from the teams that we had, you probably won't know many of them THAT well, they were ok but not rangers legends. walker in goal. burns, RB, i liked him but how many people under 30 have even heard of shuggie? munro you might know. craig paterson, well, i shall refrain from my usual litany of abuse. mcpherson was alright. redford? bell? iain ferguson? john macdonald? god almighty, some of the players we gave a chance to...stuart beattie? eric ferguson?

it was a time of utter bleakness, the only thing i can remember thinking was a positive was that the 'new firm' were being successful, in any other era 'they' would have been all conquering. but out of this darkness there was one player, one man. his presence, the chance of seeing him in actual real life (remember there wasn't that much live TV until about 1988), the chance of some of the stuff you'd only read about in the papers happening before your eyes...we'd all heard of the great brazilians, the dutch masters. david cooper was their equal. he really was that good. he alone was enough to ensure that you fetched up at the old multi coloured ibrox thinking that there was a chance of victory.

you saved rangers, davie, and you saved me, too. its not too much to say that i loved you, and even tho i find myself a rapidly widening 37 year old with worries over children and mortgage payments, if i click on those videos i know i'll be 15 again, in the west enclosure, utterly convinced that my hero will be able to turn the tide single handedly and win the day for the rangers.

i know this is overly sentimental and must seem ridiculous to those who didn't see the man playing. all i can say is....he really was that good.

Brilliantly said Andy, Im the same :(

Brilliantly said Andy, Im the same :(

Brilliant exactly what coop said :rangers:

"Number 11" Poem

All the rangers fans they cried that day

when the Lord in his wisdom took Davie away

one question did ring through the sorrow and tears

why at the age of just thirty nine years?

With a left foot so lethal

that would stun and amaze

had the football elite

all singing his praise

So Davie we miss you

we know you're in heaven

and to every gers fan

you are the Rangers eleven

Fan: Edward Dymond

Very sad but also one must be happy and grateful to have had Davie on this earth and especially at our special club.

A fantastic player and man, one of those you would have been so proud to move on to a foreign land where he would have been a world super-star but he was and still is a super-star in our eyes.

Even in Primary School, I vaguely remember being told in the playground he'd died and my Dad took me to the funeral where I listened on the outside speakers and I was thrilled to see Alex McLeish walking by me.

Hugh Mcilvanney said at the funeral 'He could open a can of beans with that left foot', at the funeral.

Also proud to say he played for my hometown team in Clydebank where he was voted one of their best all-time players recently - http://www.clydebankfc.co.uk/club_halloffame.html]

Very sad but also one must be happy and grateful to have had Davie on this earth and especially at our special club.

A fantastic player and man, one of those you would have been so proud to move on to a foreign land where he would have been a world super-star but he was and still is a super-star in our eyes.

Even in Primary School, I vaguely remember being told in the playground he'd died and my Dad took me to the funeral where I listened on the outside speakers and I was thrilled to see Alex McLeish walking by me.

Hugh Mcilvanney said at the funeral 'He could open a can of beans with that left foot', at the funeral.

Also proud to say he played for my hometown team in Clydebank where he was voted one of their best all-time players recently - http://www.clydebankfc.co.uk/club_halloffame.html]

Brilliant post Boab. It says it all :(