Coopermania

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too true, Coop, a wee synopsis here:

History

The Davie Cooper Centre is a Company Limited by Guarantee with Charitable status. To date we have three Directors one of whom acts as a Company Secretary and we are supported by Macdonalds Solicitors and Stevenson & Kyles Chartered Accountants. Gareth Hoskins Architects Ltd were commissioned to conduct a feasibility study and have produced our initial project design.

We are a small registered Scottish charity formed by a group of individuals and volunteers from a variety of professional backgrounds including commerce, finance, human resources and nursing. In addition, we are all aware of the many complex issues which families encounter on a daily basis due to our personal family experiences of special needs children.

Davie Cooper was a Scottish international football player who started his professional career at Clydebank Football Club. He moved to Glasgow Rangers, then onto Motherwell before returning to Clydebank towards the end of his playing career. At the age of 39, whilst coaching young children, he collapsed and tragically died.

When Clydebank FC planned to build a new stadium on Gt Western Road in West Dunbartonshire they intended to name it after Davie Cooper as a tribute to a highly respected sportsman in the town where he began and ended his career. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond their control, the stadium was never built.

At that time a group aiming to build an outdoors focused facility for special needs children and their families was unsuccessfully searching for a suitable site.

The former shareholders of Clydebank FC generously decided to lease two acres of the land planned for the stadium to this group for a 99 year peppercorn rent in order that The Davie Cooper Centre for special needs children and their families would now be a tribute to him.

With the endorsement of Davie's family, the official launch month of the charity was planned to coincide with the 10th anniversary of Davie Coopers death. The irony being that in this month of March 2005 two of Davie's former clubs, Rangers and Motherwell, met in the CIS Cup Final. With the support of football fans, the football teams, the media, the Scottish Football League and their cup sponsors - the Co-operative Insurance Society, the Davie Cooper Centre charity launch was not only highly successful but also exceptionally emotive.

Subject to the continuing support of West Dunbartonshire Council and by developing existing financial support in obtaining the necessary funding, the charity aim to have a purpose built outdoors focused activity centre up and running by end 2009, an outreach programme operational by 2010, and a further building phase, a respite facility, operational by end 2011.

http://www.thedaviecoopercentre.org/History.html

Never managed to see him play but the videos show what a sublime player he was.

Still remember his funeral like it was yesterday - everyone from the community was out regardless of what team they supported - only special players can achieve that.

One Davie Cooper!

unfortunately i never saw him play, but watching all those videos you see what a fantastic player he was and what it meant to him to pull on the blue jersey.

"I played for the team I loved!"

that says it all...legend!

Rest in peace, Davie.

can still remember the goal he set up against ilves tampere where he jinked thru the whole defence and slide a great ball then after the goal everyone just ran to coop never mind the scorer

top player and top bloke as well

Its in the first link. He gave it to Fleck to tap in, so unselfishly.

I remember in his Motherwell days, he absolutely bewitched a couple of Utd defenders during a move.

Commentator said of his ability;

You've either got it, or you haven't. And he has it in plenty, even yet.

As talented a player as this country has ever produced.

Would have made a great boss with his pure football ethic.

i happy to have seen davie play in nearly all his games i remember when the news of his death came through the mrs told me i shut myself in the kitchen and had agood cry to my self and proud to admit it what a player he was a true legend and sadly missed his like never to be seen again

i happy to have seen davie play in nearly all his games i remember when the news of his death came through the mrs told me i shut myself in the kitchen and had agood cry to my self and proud to admit it what a player he was a true legend and sadly missed his like never to be seen again

One of the saddest days of my life as well. I had just bought the paper and got on the train to go to work (about half an hour journey) sat down and read it. I was devastated and I remember a woman asking me if I was alright. I was crying quietly on this busy train as best I could. :( When we got off the train she asked me for a coffee and then asked me what it was I was upset about. I told her. She was so nice to me and helped me get through the day at work.

Im so grateful to that lady, I wish I could thank her now.