In memory of Davie Cooper 25th February 1956 - 23rd March 1995

Coopermania

super cooper

1979 drybourgh cup final againt the celtic best goal ever

some of you older bears will remember sining the old abba classic super trooper to the words of davie cooper

i shed a tear in the memory see you in heaven

I was there that day and remember that goal well.

I only wished he had scored it at the Rangers end.

The man was a genius and will always remembered.

I am so proud to say that I saw Davie Cooper play.

RIP Davie.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"with the Angels I'll be singing

up in heaven in the glen

I'll be happy and contented

when the boys have won again

on my harp I will be playing

in the sky way up above

I'll be singing Follow Follow

to the Rangers that I love"

For me, the last verse of the Rangers Chorus could be Davie singing himself . A true Rangers man.

Always remembered, sadly missed

Please add stories, memories or videos of Davie in here to commemorate and celebrate Davie's life

A Club legend in every sense of the word and extraordinarily gifted player. The highlight for me as a Gers fan remains the Coop Final of '05 styled in his memory.

"with the Angels I'll be singing

up in heaven in the glen

I'll be happy and contented

when the boys have won again

on my harp I will be playing

in the sky way up above

I'll be singing Follow Follow

to the Rangers that I love"

For me, the last verse of the Rangers Chorus could be Davie singing himself . A true Rangers man.

Always remembered, sadly missed

Please add stories, memories or videos of Davie in here to commemorate and celebrate Davie's life

A Club legend in every sense of the word and extraordinarily gifted player. The highlight for me as a Gers fan remains the Coop Final of '05 styled in his memory.

Well said BC. Its a sad day today, Ive been upset here, but we must remember the good times and celebrate Coop's life. :beer2:

He was the main reason for going to see Rangers in the early 80s when I first went to the games. The team was complete mince but there was always the chance that Cooper would produce something special. I don't ever remember hearing a complaint about him not winning a header or not tracking back; you wanted him to be going forward with the ball at his feet. The run against Tampere that set up the 3rd goal for Fleck pushed all the buttons for me. The move starts at about 1:25 in the attached vid.

I was at that game and the 1-1 at Tynecastle about the same time when he did the same and scored.

Seeing that video brings back fond memories of watching him from the CR.

Cheers for posting that one.

Oh how i wish we had Davie Cooper in our current squad. A winger in the true sense of the word.

He played for the club he loved and he will never be forgotten by the fans who adored him.

Sleep well Davie, always and forever.

I wish we had Cooper in every 11 we put out.

However, I'd settle for him being alive and getting the chance to meet him.

i'm not watching those videos. i did this a year ago and i was bawling my eyes out.

to those of you who were too young to see davie cooper play. its hard to explain without sounding like an old bastard moaning.

i started going to ibrox when i was about 13 with my uncle, be about 84. if i give you some names from the teams that we had, you probably won't know many of them THAT well, they were ok but not rangers legends. walker in goal. burns, RB, i liked him but how many people under 30 have even heard of shuggie? munro you might know. craig paterson, well, i shall refrain from my usual litany of abuse. mcpherson was alright. redford? bell? iain ferguson? john macdonald? god almighty, some of the players we gave a chance to...stuart beattie? eric ferguson?

it was a time of utter bleakness, the only thing i can remember thinking was a positive was that the 'new firm' were being successful, in any other era 'they' would have been all conquering. but out of this darkness there was one player, one man. his presence, the chance of seeing him in actual real life (remember there wasn't that much live TV until about 1988), the chance of some of the stuff you'd only read about in the papers happening before your eyes...we'd all heard of the great brazilians, the dutch masters. david cooper was their equal. he really was that good. he alone was enough to ensure that you fetched up at the old multi coloured ibrox thinking that there was a chance of victory.

you saved rangers, davie, and you saved me, too. its not too much to say that i loved you, and even tho i find myself a rapidly widening 37 year old with worries over children and mortgage payments, if i click on those videos i know i'll be 15 again, in the west enclosure, utterly convinced that my hero will be able to turn the tide single handedly and win the day for the rangers.

i know this is overly sentimental and must seem ridiculous to those who didn't see the man playing. all i can say is....he really was that good.

That's perfect Andy! (tu)

It sums it all up.

Your words have achieved what the videos do. You've brought tears to my eyes there, mate.

great post andy some of the players you mentioned i gave dogs abuse to for not being good enough for the rangers even sometimes moody would do my nut in cause you knew if he was in the mood he was as good as anyone i ever saw

Coop carried us through those dark days. I will be forever grateful for that.